Dips and Programming

Started by Philipp Hornung, June 28, 2010 · 7 Replies · 4,441 Views

Philipp Hornung

Hi!

Today I completed five ladders of 5 steps with Dips, which I used as a measure to prepare my injured shoulder (AC Joint Problem). BTW: Performing 1, then 2, then 3 up to 5 reps equals one ladder if you are not familiar with the concept. I took it from one of Pavel Tsatsoulines' Books but it is also mentioned in Coach Sommer's Book. This is where my question stems from:

He offers various methods to train Dips. I actually don't know about my ability to do RTO or Bulgarian Dips. So my question is rather vague.

Since I'm now able to do a lot of Dips and want to decrease the volume in order of aquiring higher strength moves (said Dips variations) to support my kettlebell lifting (jerks with two 16kg bells) I want to know:

What would be a practical approach for programming Dips if I want to perform them once per week. I additionally jerk two times the week and shoulder press once a week besides some other barbell stuff of which most are mainly lower body oriented (deadlifting, squats etc.):

Mo: Jerks

Di: Dips / KB-Snatches

Do: Jerks

Fr: Shoulder Press / KB-Snatches

I figured a GB-Pyramid would be a good idea: First 5 reps with BW dips, then 3 reps with added weight, then 1 rep of the hardest possible variation (which would be bulgarian Dips hopefully). Then finish of with some support holds.

What do you think?

PS: Hope my english is somehow understandable :-)

Blairbob

Well for instance, there is the HS ladder WOD. Perhaps you could adapt it towards dips instead of HSPU.

Dunno.

Philipp Hornung

You mean this one?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4241&p=32483&hilit=+ladder+wod#p32483

sean842

I've been doing similar programming with weighted ring dips for a while now. My programming has just been a simple 3x5 set and rep scheme. I'm at BW+70lbs with a weight of 180 right now and progress is slowing so it's almost time to move on to a harder variation or more complex programming.

Philipp Hornung
sean842 said:
I've been doing similar programming with weighted ring dips for a while now. My programming has just been a simple 3x5 set and rep scheme. I'm at BW+70lbs with a weight of 180 right now and progress is slowing so it's almost time to move on to a harder variation or more complex programming.

Yeah the only problem with this kind of linear progressive overloading is that i only have a 10kg vest and one 16,20,24 and 32kg bell and absolutely no other weights.

Blairbob

Go find a used fitness store and maybe like the one near me, they will sell iron 1" plates for 30c/lb.

Brendan Coad

ziploc bags+sand or dirt+cheap backpack from a thriftstore. One on your back and one on your stomach and you can get at an extra 100 lbs for basically no money.

Philipp Hornung
Blairbob said:
Go find a used fitness store and maybe like the one near me, they will sell iron 1" plates for 30c/lb.

Well, dude. I'm going to have my private gym sometime with a power rack, barbells and loads of plates but right now, as I'm a student, I can't afford spending too much money. Anyways I don't have this kind of stores around so I'd have to order over the internet, which adds up over time.

Well, I'll try the pyramid for a while and if I'll be not progressing I'll check back in.

Thanks for your help, mates! I really appreciate it!