This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100628

Started by Coach Sommer, June 28, 2010 · 18 Replies · 2,494 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Bulgarian Pull-ups

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Bulgarian HSPU

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Windshield Wipers

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Pull-up/HSPU variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

4) Use a tempo of 51X for the basic strength sets. This equates to a 5 second descent, followed by a 1 second pause at the bottom, then explode into the ascent.

5) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary if a particular movement is either too easy or too difficult.

6) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Blairbob

Coach Sommer, I am not familiar with what you would call "WindMills". I do not remember these from the book nor did I see them in the index.

I did find these and wanted to know if this was the correct movement?

mtAgSNTnCgI

We used a similar movement at the seminar but it was performed a bit differently.

Kenneth Manning

With embedded work, does one release from the rings and take their rest before the strength movement? I thought embedded meant the movements all melded into one?

Alvaro
3) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.
Kenneth Manning

Okay, yeah, I realized that was kind of a stupid question. So one would, say, perform the back lever for 15 seconds, drop from the rings, wait 10-20 seconds, then perform the 5 bulgarian pullups?

After 18 months "building my base," I've decided to graduate to the WOD's. I felt with the routine I was doing, certain of the FSP's had become pretty strong, but also felt like I was neglecting some other areas that I should be working at this point.

Coach Sommer

Blair,

I apologize for the typo. It should have shown Windshield Wipers rather than Windmills.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Saber2

Today I performed the WOD again, I am really liking these a lot. I go in not knowing what to expect which gives me that variety I need. For BL and FL work I started using the rings rather than the pullup bar, and I am noticing a new challenge. Rolling out of the BL was tiresome but it felt good at the same time. Anyway I did the WOD w/ windmills :mrgreen: the only substitution I made was doing HeSPU instead of HSPU. My reps were 5,4,4. The only place I can do these is in a low ceiling room and my feet already touch the ceiling when I am in the top of the position.

Also those bridge wall walks were nice, they felt good on the back.

Thanks Coach

Josh Schmitter

My first WOD in the bag. We'll...it was scaled down so much I don't know if it counts, but I did

10s tuck BL to 4 Negative Pulls

12s XR support hold + 5 head to ground push ups(not sure what these are called...kinda hindu pushups except I just do them like box HeSPU with feet on the floor)

12 s tuck FL to 5 wipers

I did all sets 3 times and except for the negative pulls did the 51x tempo for the most part.

I managed about 5 bridge wall walks with some difficulty.

Hopefully I scaled this down ok. any feedback always welcome. Especially negative :)

-josh-

Carmen Amara

Started the GB WOD's on Thursday and have enrolled three more people. They love it! I can't wait to get my rings set up and the parallel bars.

:D

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

1A) straddle BL x 15, bulg pullups x 5

straddle BL x 15, bulg pullups x 5

full back lever x 15, bulg pullups x 5

1B) PB L sit x 15, standing overhead BB press 125 x 5 -- 3 rounds

1C) straddle FL x 12, windmills (oops) x 6

advanced tuck FL x 15, windmills x 6

advanced tuck FL x 15, windmills x 6

2) Bridge wall walks x 10 -- first time doing these, felt really good as I progressed set to set.

Today was my first WOD, moving away from the program I had been performing for the last 1.5 years. Wanted to switch things up a bit, get more variety, and what better way than to follow the WODs!!

Neal Winkler

killroy, what sort of progress did you make in 1.5 years on your famous program? What is your height/weight?

I started around the same time as you, but suffered a bad elbow injury in BJJ, so for about 6 months of that time I made no progress.

Kenneth Manning

Well, I should say that I really didn't "get into" the program (and it's apparent variations that have appeared on the board) until about a year ago. The first 6 months were really just learning and trying to find a setup that worked for me. Coming from a pure weight training background, these moves were all entirely new to me. I've progressed from the very basic FSP's (tuck FL, tuck BL, etc..) to some of the full movements. I've also greatly increased my strength in the FBE's. For instanced, in the beginning, basic ring dips (rings turned inward) were extremely difficult, even for just a few reps. The last time I worked ring dips (last week), I did 6 sets of 6 reps of bulgarian dips with 25 lbs around my waist. I should note, however, that in that workout my elbows were drifting backward a bit and were not in the same plane as my shoulders.

Overall I made some great progress, but am looking to branch out a bit more, in that my steady state cycles have included most of the same exercises, just their harder variations, and I was looking, at this point in time, for some more variety. Essentially, I'm taking the opportunity to do the WODs to challenge myself. I"m not expecting to jump right in without scaling, as I"m lacking some basic skills that have been ignored during my cycles. For instance, in the basic ring series 2, the forward roll from support is very awkward for me. I have a lot to learn, but am hoping that the base I've build will allow me to progress more rapidly with the WOD's than if I had just jumped in (just beginning the wods, I'm able to perform full front and back levers, XR L sits, etc..).

Anyway, I just love this training and want to explore it more in a different approach (versus just doing the exact same exercises 4-5 days/week for 6-10 weeks in a row....)

Kenneth Manning

Oh, and I'm 6'2", 191 lbs. It's funny, when I started I was a bit over 200 lbs. I haven't really changed my diet at all (in fact I feel as though I've been eating more) and people have mentioned that I look "bigger." I hadn't stepped on the scale in AGES until the other night and was suprised to see that I had dropped 10 lbs in the last 1.5 years or so and yet have gained a great deal of strength (and improved muscularity).

Alvaro

I think I made a mistake as I performed the excersices as rounds.

- tuck back lever x 15 seg + 5 tempo chin ups. At the last rounds the last 2 chin ups where negatives only

- xr Lsit not 90 degrees more like 120. But feeling more solid each time

- front lever tuck 15 seg and the winmills with no weight. Those are easy but I felt the back afterwards so not so easy! Today I'll

do the wipers

with the the wall runs I can not perforM all ten in a row so I do 3 and take 30 sec rest ... Ifeel Im imprving with those too

Blairbob

Wow, I must have been functioning in "Genius" mode tonight.

After seeing the original post of Windmills, and later seeing Wipers, I ended up doing windmills thought I had the guys do wipers.

I also used a 5s ascent, 1s hold at the top of the pullup and bottom, and 3s descent. Yes, it made them a bit tough.

I managed to work some of the FBE after spending some time figuring out what I could and could not do. Ring support alright but even getting into a body row with my feet propped up was something my shoulder didn't like though support and dips on PH (assisted in a ways) were fine as was HS.

Did block maltese instead of BL. The shoulder is fairly supported that way.

It's been awhile since I've done any upper bodys stuff. Shoulda used 2m rest periods. another genius move.

15s block maltese in straddle +4 Bulgarian Ring PU, 3 on last set

15s ring support+5 Box HeSPU. tuck support too much for me?

15s body lever (bent arms) [tough at just above horizontal for last 2 unfortunately]

Neal Winkler
killroy70 said:
Oh, and I'm 6'2", 191 lbs. It's funny, when I started I was a bit over 200 lbs. I haven't really changed my diet at all (in fact I feel as though I've been eating more) and people have mentioned that I look "bigger." I hadn't stepped on the scale in AGES until the other night and was suprised to see that I had dropped 10 lbs in the last 1.5 years or so and yet have gained a great deal of strength (and improved muscularity).

Wow, at your height, those results are outstanding!!!

Richard Duelley

I was exhausted when I did this WOD but ground through it in 30 minutes. Way to much flipping off the dock at the lake on Sunday :mrgreen:

Lars Nävert
Coach Sommer said:
Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Bulgarian Pull-ups

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Bulgarian HSPU

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Windshield Wipers

I have a couple of questions regarding the WOD:s with the embedded static FSP:s paired wit FBE:s like this one.

#1 Do you do:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Bulgarian Pull-ups

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Bulgarian HSPU

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Windshield Wipers

rest 1-2 minutes

repeat 2 more times

#2 or do you do:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Tempo Bulgarian Pull-ups

rest 1-2 minutes

repeat 2 more times

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Bulgarian HSPU

rest 1-2 minutes

repeat 2 more times

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Windshield Wipers

rest 1-2 minutes

repeat 2 more times

And for the embedded FSP:s, are the 15 seconds supposed to be 50 % of your max or are we supposed to work at slightly higher intensity level, perhaps at 80-85 % of max, since we only do three sets with relatively long rest inbetween (depending on if you are supposed to do the WOD like #1 or #2 like I wrote above this).

I really apreciate all the work you do with theese WOD:s Coach,

Best regards Saturn

Coach Sommer

With this particular workout, perform one set and then rest. Do not move onto the next exercise until all three sets of the first exercise have been completed.

Utilize the most challenging FSP variation that you are able to hold for the entire 15 seconds.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer