Howdy y'all!
I had an awesome time training lower body today and put a little overview together:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw3LuudO4tI/
(NGL a little star struck that Coach Sommer like
!)
Since single leg squats came easy and early (well before I started GB) to me, I am very curious about the reasoning behind why weighted lunges are the strength exercise of choice for level 4 for a number of reasons:
-
The lack of mobility or stretching in the exercise. The videos show the athletes with only 90° knee bend with both legs. Wouldn't a ATG split squat with maximum front knee bend, minimum back need bend, and stationary feet be a far superior exercise with the added benefit of front split gains? Which can be scaled down by elevating the front foot and scaled up by elevating the back foot.
-
The use of heavy weight. While I am not a calisthenics purist that shuns all weight, Coach Sommer himself describes GB programming as "body weight fitness" in his latest podcast interview, Acta Non Verba. While I do have access to a gym with weights, I am afraid the 5x5r with 100% BW will add unnecessary mass to the legs that will make all leverage skills way harder
. I love using weight for weighted mobility with full ROM and stretch, but dislike moving weight for weight's sake. Also, was the 100% BW number taking 180 lbs. big boys into account?
- General Physical Preparation (GPP) vs Specific SPP. Apart from hip flexor strength and split mobility needed for Ring, Pommel, Highbar, & Pbars, it seems to me that powerful legs are only needed for vault and floor. And with both of those events, it is more sprinting, ballistic, polymetric, rebounding power which heavy lunges seem to do little for. Wouldn't box jumps for height, box depth jumps, straight leg rebounding hops, sprints, and box/sled pushes/pulls be superior for developing power?
-
What happened to "weighted jumping for distance & height" from Building the Gymnastic Body? Was this removed due to concerns of people hurting themselves?
- Is end range training/stretching for middle and front splits a better investment of time for those with already "fairly" powerful legs? Considering these are actual elements in and of themselves (and are a part of other floor elements) in the code of points.
Just for fun, what are some top-tier skills (moves) and metrics (i.e. vertical jump, box jump) that would be great for setting a high bar to strive for!?