This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SP C3 4x36 straight arm plank form

Started by Remya Rajalakshmi, June 13, 2023 · 21 Replies · 180 Views

Remya Rajalakshmi

Hi Alessandro:

I have a made a conscious attempt to correct to hip extension in planche as well. I believe I was having the same form as in push up for this exercise. Here is my attempt after that correction. It appeared to be a bit more easier to me than earlier. 

Set 2 of 4

 

Here is the last set which is still a bit of struggle and I can feel my hands shaking.

I will glad to get a feedback on these. 

Thanks

Krishnan

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Hi Alessandro:

I have a made a conscious attempt to correct to hip extension in planche as well. I believe I was having the same form as in push up for this exercise. Here is my attempt after that correction. It appeared to be a bit more easier to me than earlier. 

Set 2 of 4

 

Here is the last set which is still a bit of struggle and I can feel my hands shaking.

I will glad to get a feedback on these. 

Thanks

Krishnan

hey Remya, can i ask you to see the elbow plank? sorry but i supect that some technical deficits of the strenght arms plank are sons of the elbows plank.

Remya Rajalakshmi

Hi Alessandro:

I tried 3 sets of forearm plank today and here is the video links. In both video I am taking some time initially to tuck my tail bone in :) to get into what I think as the right position.

Firsts set:

Third set:

Looking forward to you feedback

Thanks

Krishnan

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Hi Alessandro:

I tried 3 sets of forearm plank today and here is the video links. In both video I am taking some time initially to tuck my tail bone in :) to get into what I think as the right position.

Firsts set:

Third set:

Looking forward to you feedback

Thanks

Krishnan

Hi Krishan..the first video is very nice....now i can say that the problem of the pushup is more coordination then flexibility itself...

Remya Rajalakshmi

Thanks! I will work on the push ups to put a more conscious effort to maintain PPT (tail bone tucked in).  

For Planks can I move to the  straight arm planks?   OR do you recommend to spent more time on the elbow planks to help learn the position?  

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Thanks! I will work on the push ups to put a more conscious effort to maintain PPT (tail bone tucked in).  

For Planks can I move to the  straight arm planks?   OR do you recommend to spent more time on the elbow planks to help learn the position?  

if you can complete the 5x60'' with ALL THE SAME FORM YES...the best way is to try and post ere the last set.

Remya Rajalakshmi

I had done  5x60 before but it might have the same problem of hip flexion at least in the later sets. I am saying this since I wasn’t specifically aware that I am not in PPT  position till I posted the push ups for your review. The ones that  I posted yesterday did feel somewhat different activation  in abs - specifically more activation  lower part. I will drop down to try it since I can focus more on the abs PPT  position easier than straight arm planks.

Remya Rajalakshmi
Just now, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

I had done  5x60 before but it might have the same problem of hip flexion at least in the later sets. I am saying this since I wasn’t specifically aware that I am not in PPT  position till I posted the push ups for your review. The ones that  I posted yesterday did feel somewhat different activation  in abs - specifically more activation  lower part. I will drop down to try it since I can focus more on the abs PPT  position easier than straight arm planks.

Thanks once again for your feedback.  I am always amazed as to how much we can squeeze physical gains out of the simpler movements in foundation 1. I initially started with the habit of moving over difficult progressions  too fast but realized later that the right thing to do is  to squeeze the best out of lower progressions before moving on to difficult ones. 

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Thanks once again for your feedback.  I am always amazed as to how much we can squeeze physical gains out of the simpler movements in foundation 1. I initially started with the habit of moving over difficult progressions  too fast but realized later that the right thing to do is  to squeeze the best out of lower progressions before moving on to difficult ones. 

Yes this is common because at the beginning everything seems easy....but "seems" does not really means "easy" for everyone.

Remya Rajalakshmi

Please  review my form for Elbow planks 5x60s last set.

Thanks a lot in advance! 

 

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Please  review my form for Elbow planks 5x60s last set.

Thanks a lot in advance! 

 

hey Remya, 2 tips foy you:

  • push the hips a bit lower...
  • hole the forearms parallel (use a front view to check)
Remya Rajalakshmi
5 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

hey Remya, 2 tips foy you:

  • push the hips a bit lower...
  • hole the forearms parallel (use a front view to check)

Thanks! Will follow through your recommendations and get back here. 

Remya Rajalakshmi
7 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Thanks! Will follow through your recommendations and get back here. 

How does this form look? Do I need to go lower? I am not locking my hands in this and I have my arms strictly parallel. 

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

How does this form look? Do I need to go lower? I am not locking my hands in this and I have my arms strictly parallel. 

35'' mark is perfect....now keep feet together!

Remya Rajalakshmi
On 5/21/2025 at 6:01 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

35'' mark is perfect....now keep feet together!

I am finding that keeping the feet together and lowering the hips during planks challenging in the following way. When pushing the hips down in strong posterior pelvic tilt I have to  strain my right ankle to keep the feet close so that it does not move  away to a habitually prefered position like a duck feet (right feet in slightly pointed outwards). The other option is to keep feet a little wide to counter that strain on ankle. Does that point to any right hip strength or mobility limitation? 
I am hoping that will resolve with consistency in trying to keep feet together. 

Alessandro Mainente
On 5/25/2025 at 3:15 AM, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

I am finding that keeping the feet together and lowering the hips during planks challenging in the following way. When pushing the hips down in strong posterior pelvic tilt I have to  strain my right ankle to keep the feet close so that it does not move  away to a habitually prefered position like a duck feet (right feet in slightly pointed outwards). The other option is to keep feet a little wide to counter that strain on ankle. Does that point to any right hip strength or mobility limitation? 
I am hoping that will resolve with consistency in trying to keep feet together. 

YOu do not need to squeeze the glutes like the hell becuase they externally rotate the upper leg and this is why your ankles moves apart...

Remya Rajalakshmi
On 5/26/2025 at 12:07 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

YOu do not need to squeeze the glutes like the hell becuase they externally rotate the upper leg and this is why your ankles moves apart...

 

 

 

How does my form look for the last set? Elbows are parallel, I consciously try to lower the hips. 

Alessandro Mainente
On 5/30/2025 at 8:30 PM, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

 

 

 

How does my form look for the last set? Elbows are parallel, I consciously try to lower the hips. 

nicely done!

Remya Rajalakshmi
On 6/2/2025 at 12:33 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

nicely done!

Thank you! I attempted the next level please let me know your views on the form.

Also what determines I have passed the previous level. I have been able to do 5x60s elbow planks with good form till last set (as in video before) about 3 times. But there were also an occasion  where  I simply wanted to stop after 2 sets. Another occasion where I did the five sets and I felt the form was off in later sets. Many  other factors come into play in those days since I have regular 9 to 5 work, plus taking care of family, also I was doing 5x60s multiple times a week. I understood from going through forum that the increase in difficulty in steps is designed  in such a way as to increase the volume over 11 weeks or so . Also are we expected to deload after that by either moving on next progression or if not passing the current progression we need to lower  the difficulty same progression for recovery  and build back up again?  Personally I felt I may be overdoing by attempting 5x60s multiple times a week.  Does the above results qualify that I have cleared elbow planks? Looking forward to get your opinion. 

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Thank you! I attempted the next level please let me know your views on the form.

Also what determines I have passed the previous level. I have been able to do 5x60s elbow planks with good form till last set (as in video before) about 3 times. But there were also an occasion  where  I simply wanted to stop after 2 sets. Another occasion where I did the five sets and I felt the form was off in later sets. Many  other factors come into play in those days since I have regular 9 to 5 work, plus taking care of family, also I was doing 5x60s multiple times a week. I understood from going through forum that the increase in difficulty in steps is designed  in such a way as to increase the volume over 11 weeks or so . Also are we expected to deload after that by either moving on next progression or if not passing the current progression we need to lower  the difficulty same progression for recovery  and build back up again?  Personally I felt I may be overdoing by attempting 5x60s multiple times a week.  Does the above results qualify that I have cleared elbow planks? Looking forward to get your opinion. 

well, in your case and all the cases wheere the 5x60 or "step9" is done for more times...i suggest to take a deload week after 3 or 4.

If you complete a progression linke 5x60 you can also do a light week after and only after go for the next one.

If you can hit at least one time 5x60 you can move forward.

Remya Rajalakshmi
12 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

well, in your case and all the cases wheere the 5x60 or "step9" is done for more times...i suggest to take a deload week after 3 or 4.

If you complete a progression linke 5x60 you can also do a light week after and only after go for the next one.

If you can hit at least one time 5x60 you can move forward.

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it.  Can you please also review my form for the regular planks

 

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it.  Can you please also review my form for the regular planks

 

it seems fine ! nice work!