This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check HBP A2 4x9

Started by Remya Rajalakshmi, June 6, 2023 · 17 Replies · 141 Views

Remya Rajalakshmi

I have been on push ups for almost a year now and slowly progressed over time in quality and quantity to about 4x9.  I have been in this step for almost 6 months now and the last set is still a struggle to complete in good form. 3x9 plus 1x6 is guaranteed with the form as in the video but 4x9 is still a stretch. My left arm looses the strength first in the last set but in first three I can feel that that left is weaker of the two when trying to hold depression. In other part of the course work I am in the following: RC B5 5x5, in planks C3 4x36, For core FL A2 4x36, SL B2 4x12, Manna C1 4x12.  I have considerable amount of time on the forums going through form checks and I think it is time to seek help  :) . This forum has been a great resource. Please let me your valuable feedback. Here is the link to the video: 

 

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

I have been on push ups for almost a year now and slowly progressed over time in quality and quantity to about 4x9.  I have been in this step for almost 6 months now and the last set is still a struggle to complete in good form. 3x9 plus 1x6 is guaranteed with the form as in the video but 4x9 is still a stretch. My left arm looses the strength first in the last set but in first three I can feel that that left is weaker of the two when trying to hold depression. In other part of the course work I am in the following: RC B5 5x5, in planks C3 4x36, For core FL A2 4x36, SL B2 4x12, Manna C1 4x12.  I have considerable amount of time on the forums going through form checks and I think it is time to seek help  :) . This forum has been a great resource. Please let me your valuable feedback. Here is the link to the video: 

 

Hey Remya..this is a good starting point....now as I have suggested to other members...the best thing to do is have aform check here on the forum and only after a good technique makes sense to put effort on the exercise.

in your case techinque must be refined first..you can notice 3 main mistakes:

1- starting position...as you proceede in the set you can see that in the starting poition your are leaning too much, making the exercise harder than required;

2 - in the top position as the fatigued increases you finish with less protraction

3- in all the reps you tend to "break the line". imagine a single line thaa runs from heels to shoulders passing from the hips...in the bottom phase this line no longer passes through the hips because hips extension has lost. the problem is that this lack of alignment begins from the first rep..so it is an habit...it will take take to be correct. the main help that you can have now it to work with a mirror.

Remya Rajalakshmi

Hi Alessandro:

Thank you for the feedback. I have been reading the threads in forum check and trying to  follow yours and other team leaders feedback. I think I understand what you are saying here. Let me use the mirror and correct the technique - I realize I am making it more difficult that it should be by leaning and  consequently reducing the range of motion at the top and also not to break the line. 

Is the feeling similar to "standing straight in attention with core tucked in" when the heel -hips-shoulder are in line? If that is case I "Break the line" from start because I consciously try to engage  and try to hold  the core tight all the time.  

I will post my current form on other exercises as well as there is always room for improvement. Once again thanks for the feedback.

 

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Hi Alessandro:

Thank you for the feedback. I have been reading the threads in forum check and trying to  follow yours and other team leaders feedback. I think I understand what you are saying here. Let me use the mirror and correct the technique - I realize I am making it more difficult that it should be by leaning and  consequently reducing the range of motion at the top and also not to break the line. 

Is the feeling similar to "standing straight in attention with core tucked in" when the heel -hips-shoulder are in line? If that is case I "Break the line" from start because I consciously try to engage  and try to hold  the core tight all the time.  

I will post my current form on other exercises as well as there is always room for improvement. Once again thanks for the feedback.

 

DO not confuse the "core tucked in" with hips flexion. you MUST have core engaged strongly with hips extebsion...when hips flexion is reached like your execution then abs are less involved becase the hips flexio is primarily reached with other muscles.

Remya Rajalakshmi

Thanks once again for the feedback. I have a couple of tries here to correct my technique. Happy to get some inputs on those :) 

TRY1: 

TRY2:

 

Alessandro Mainente
12 minutes ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Thanks once again for the feedback. I have a couple of tries here to correct my technique. Happy to get some inputs on those :) 

TRY1: 

TRY2:

 

hey Remya, the hips mistake still persist.....look the problem from another perspective...if quads do not touch the ground then you are not extending the hips and squeezing the glutes.

Remya Rajalakshmi

Ic… Thanks once again!  Let me spent some time and effort trying to fix it with that feedback in mind. 

Remya Rajalakshmi

Here is try #3 of push up form correction. I have lowered the difficulty to 4x6 so that I don't loose the form.  There is a conscious attempt to correct  in the middle of the set so that my quads touch the ground during the lowered portion of the push up. I am looking forward to your feedback. 

Thanks

Krishnan

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

Here is try #3 of push up form correction. I have lowered the difficulty to 4x6 so that I don't loose the form.  There is a conscious attempt to correct  in the middle of the set so that my quads touch the ground during the lowered portion of the push up. I am looking forward to your feedback. 

Thanks

Krishnan

well there is still the limitation of the range of motion, all the reps should be performed as the 10'' mark rep,

Also you tend to arch i the lower back, this is a little sign that there is still a hips flexion rather than extension.

Remya Rajalakshmi

I also have the  restore courses and the quad stretch seems to have  PPT descriptions. I have overlooked quad stretches so far since I was mainly focusing on restore for hips, thoracic and shoulders. Do you think spending some time on the quad stretch series may help? 

Also as you have suggested earlier since the hip flexion is a habit now so I will spent a few more weeks consciously correcting it and will post  the video. 

Alessandro Mainente
16 minutes ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

I also have the  restore courses and the quad stretch seems to have  PPT descriptions. I have overlooked quad stretches so far since I was mainly focusing on restore for hips, thoracic and shoulders. Do you think spending some time on the quad stretch series may help? 

Also as you have suggested earlier since the hip flexion is a habit now so I will spent a few more weeks consciously correcting it and will post  the video. 

this is a motor schema that also elbow plank and plank share....so if you show the ability to correct them in the plank then the problem is more technical than a mobility problem.

Remya Rajalakshmi

Got it! I will follow through on elbow plank in the other thread.  Thanks a lot as always for the feedback. 

Remya Rajalakshmi

I found it difficult to maintain the PPT form so I dropped a progression to get the form right. It has more lean than in the fist progression but it still be able to maintain the PPT. This is last set of 4x12. Please  let  me know your feedback on this:

 

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

I found it difficult to maintain the PPT form so I dropped a progression to get the form right. It has more lean than in the fist progression but it still be able to maintain the PPT. This is last set of 4x12. Please  let  me know your feedback on this:

 

this variation is fine!

Remya Rajalakshmi

HBP A2 12x4 last set

Hi GB coaches ,

Please review my form for the triceps push ups. It has been a while since I posted my form. Some background info as to what I was doing:

I have been practicing most of the F1 exercises in a maintenance mode. I had chronic sciatic  pain and was under going physiotherapy. It was a dull sciatic pain that probably wouldn’t bother me during day time but affected the quality of my sleep a few times a week and hence recovery from work outs. It was progressively getting worse as well. My primary doctor diagnosed  the condition as piriformis syndrome on right leg and recommended physiotherapy. The physiotherapist approach was to strengthen the core and glutes. Exercises for core like supine marching with pelvic bracing, glutes medius exercises like clamshell and equivalents, wall squats for glute activation and proper squatting form without butt wink, glute bridges, piriformis stretch. Clamshells, Squats, glute bridges all with elastic bands around both knees seems to recruit the glutes more and were  very effective for recovery. 

It took around  6 to 7 months of consistent execution after which it is no longer chronic. Certain exercises still aggravate the condition which I avoid. The hamstring stretch recommended by the physiotherapist was “supine hand to big toe” which was too aggressive and would increase the pain around the hamstring/glute minimus region. I can still squat just  below parallel without any problem. Attempting to squat lower than  that can cause pain around piriformis/ glute minor region and I can see it happens exactly at the moment my butt winks. I also stopped doing C1 Tuck ups in GB program since that was also an issue for me. The restore hamstring course seems to be sufficiently mild and do not seem to cause pain. (There seems to a special emphasis to keep spine straight and push the butt out that was probably missing price in the physiotherapist recommendation on her hamstring stretch).  I started recently following restore course  a few times a week. Primarily these days  I follow restore course for hip and hamstring which helps greatly. 

Overall  once the avoidance of exercises that aggravates pain was taken care of the sleep was good and recovery from workouts was better. I can see some progression in few exercises in F1 than before. 

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

HBP A2 12x4 last set

Hi GB coaches ,

Please review my form for the triceps push ups. It has been a while since I posted my form. Some background info as to what I was doing:

I have been practicing most of the F1 exercises in a maintenance mode. I had chronic sciatic  pain and was under going physiotherapy. It was a dull sciatic pain that probably wouldn’t bother me during day time but affected the quality of my sleep a few times a week and hence recovery from work outs. It was progressively getting worse as well. My primary doctor diagnosed  the condition as piriformis syndrome on right leg and recommended physiotherapy. The physiotherapist approach was to strengthen the core and glutes. Exercises for core like supine marching with pelvic bracing, glutes medius exercises like clamshell and equivalents, wall squats for glute activation and proper squatting form without butt wink, glute bridges, piriformis stretch. Clamshells, Squats, glute bridges all with elastic bands around both knees seems to recruit the glutes more and were  very effective for recovery. 

It took around  6 to 7 months of consistent execution after which it is no longer chronic. Certain exercises still aggravate the condition which I avoid. The hamstring stretch recommended by the physiotherapist was “supine hand to big toe” which was too aggressive and would increase the pain around the hamstring/glute minimus region. I can still squat just  below parallel without any problem. Attempting to squat lower than  that can cause pain around piriformis/ glute minor region and I can see it happens exactly at the moment my butt winks. I also stopped doing C1 Tuck ups in GB program since that was also an issue for me. The restore hamstring course seems to be sufficiently mild and do not seem to cause pain. (There seems to a special emphasis to keep spine straight and push the butt out that was probably missing price in the physiotherapist recommendation on her hamstring stretch).  I started recently following restore course  a few times a week. Primarily these days  I follow restore course for hip and hamstring which helps greatly. 

Overall  once the avoidance of exercises that aggravates pain was taken care of the sleep was good and recovery from workouts was better. I can see some progression in few exercises in F1 than before. 

nice to hear that you are back on track....

wll the pushup are beautiful! nicely done.

Remya Rajalakshmi
On 5/17/2025 at 4:41 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

nice to hear that you are back on track....

wll the pushup are beautiful! nicely done.

HBP A2 tricep push ups 15x5 last set. Please review my form. 

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 6/28/2025 at 4:50 AM, Remya Rajalakshmi said:

HBP A2 tricep push ups 15x5 last set. Please review my form. 

 

definitely strong shoulder and tricep.