This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Rule of thumb to progress to new rep scheme.

Started by Valeriy Baibossynov, April 27, 2023 · 16 Replies · 201 Views

Valeriy Baibossynov

Hi, I was following foundation one template for a more then a month, before I did beginner plan. 

I increased reps and sets in incline pushups, and shrugs each training session, there was no grinding or anything like that, but it wasn't easy, more medium to hard.

5 days ago I did, bridge series , for the first time (everything except exercises that require pressing in bridge position). Two days later I did pushing again, shrugs and inclines, and it just destroyed me. I felt some fatigue and burn on shrugs , some burn on pushups as well in my shoulders, nothing not pain, just fatigue, then I got sick, and now I am resting. Clearly for me I was overtrained , I already experienced some exceptional bodyweight training fatigue, it reminds me exactly that.

My question is, what is the rule of thumb for progression to new rep scheme ? How should I feel during exercise to have a clue , that it is time to progress ? 

Valeriy Baibossynov

I also wonder could it be that I do some harder variation in push ups/shrugs , by not using leverage correctly? 

Alessandro Mainente

Overtraining is very rate unless you train with a tons of high intensity and less recovery before sessions and poor nutrition and a lot of volume.

can you be more precise on your training session ? is anything that is cahnged on your daily routine? are you eating enough? sleeping well?

Valeriy Baibossynov

I sleep around 8 hours and cook my meals, so it should be ok. What I did was, warm up, weighted mobility or knee sequence , then incline push ups, rows and shrugs, all 15 reps for 5 sets.  I do it 4 times a week + 1 session of stretching. Nothing new.
I also do(for a long time, 3 month or so) some clean and press with barbell, with 40 kg for 5 sets of 3 reps 2 times per week and some loaded carry. (I am 73 kg guy)
I also do grappling but there wasn't anything new, all sessions was normal, no high intensity conditioning, enough rest in between. 

 

Valeriy Baibossynov

Basically I was following everything that app gives me for Intermediate One. And increased reps each session 

Alessandro Mainente
13 minutes ago, Valeriy Baibossynov said:

Basically I was following everything that app gives me for Intermediate One. And increased reps each session 

Did you successfully completed every workout? i mean...if you have 5x9r ..it was easy?

how many days a week are you training?

Valeriy Baibossynov
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Did you successfully completed every workout? i mean...if you have 5x9r ..it was easy?

how many days a week are you training?

Yes I did but pushing wasn't easy - more medium I think, on last reps I often feel muscular burn in my shoulders. I train 4 days a week, and day 5 is stretch(back bend, front/ middle split) like in template.

Should I progress when it gets easy? 

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Valeriy Baibossynov said:

Yes I did but pushing wasn't easy - more medium I think, on last reps I often feel muscular burn in my shoulders. I train 4 days a week, and day 5 is stretch(back bend, front/ middle split) like in template.

Should I progress when it gets easy? 

can you write deeply your workout day by day?

Valeriy Baibossynov
8 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

can you write deeply your workout day by day?

April 17

7 min warm up

Weighted mobility

Scapula shrugs 4x9

Swivel hips 4x5

Incline push up 4x9

German arm swing 4x10

Incline row 4x9

One arm upright lean

April 18

Daily Limber

Knee Series

Bent Hollow Body Hold 4x36s

Cat-Cow 4x5r

Seated Russian Twist 4x18r

Standing Hip Circle 4x10r

Tuck-Up 4x6r

Stiff Leg Windmill 4x5r

Assisted Squat 5x9r

Sideprone Lift 5x3r

April 19

7 Minute Warm-Up

Weighted Mobility

Scapular Shrugs 5x9r 

Swivel Hips 5x5r

Incline Pushup 5x9r 

German Arm Swing 5x10r

incline Row 5x9r 

One Arm Upright Lat Lean 

5x15s@

April 20

Daily Limber

Single Bar Shoulder Mobility

Strength: Scapular Shrugs 4x12r 

Mobility: Swivel Hips 4x5

Strength: Incline Pushup 4x12r 

Mobility: German Arm Swing 

Strength: Incline Row 4x12r 

Mobility: One Arm Upright Lat Lean 4x15s@

April 21

7 Minute Warm-Up

Knee Series

Bent Hollow Body Hold 5x36s 

Cat-Cow 

Seated Russian Twist 5x18r 

Standing Hip Circle 5x10r

Tuck-Up 4x9r 

Stiff Leg Windmill 4x5r

April 22

Stretch Thoracic Bridge

April 24

7 Minute Warm Up

Weighted Mobility

Scapular Shrugs 4x15r 

Stoped on 3rd set, as there was a lot of burn in shoulders

Swivel Hips 4x5r

Incline Pushup 4x15r 

Finished but really hard reps after rep 9

German Arm Swing 4x10r

Incline Row 4x15r 

One Arm Upright Lat Lean 4x15s@

 

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Valeriy Baibossynov said:

April 17

7 min warm up

Weighted mobility

Scapula shrugs 4x9

Swivel hips 4x5

Incline push up 4x9

German arm swing 4x10

Incline row 4x9

One arm upright lean

April 18

Daily Limber

Knee Series

Bent Hollow Body Hold 4x36s

Cat-Cow 4x5r

Seated Russian Twist 4x18r

Standing Hip Circle 4x10r

Tuck-Up 4x6r

Stiff Leg Windmill 4x5r

Assisted Squat 5x9r

Sideprone Lift 5x3r

April 19

7 Minute Warm-Up

Weighted Mobility

Scapular Shrugs 5x9r 

Swivel Hips 5x5r

Incline Pushup 5x9r 

German Arm Swing 5x10r

incline Row 5x9r 

One Arm Upright Lat Lean 

5x15s@

April 20

Daily Limber

Single Bar Shoulder Mobility

Strength: Scapular Shrugs 4x12r 

Mobility: Swivel Hips 4x5

Strength: Incline Pushup 4x12r 

Mobility: German Arm Swing 

Strength: Incline Row 4x12r 

Mobility: One Arm Upright Lat Lean 4x15s@

April 21

7 Minute Warm-Up

Knee Series

Bent Hollow Body Hold 5x36s 

Cat-Cow 

Seated Russian Twist 5x18r 

Standing Hip Circle 5x10r

Tuck-Up 4x9r 

Stiff Leg Windmill 4x5r

April 22

Stretch Thoracic Bridge

April 24

7 Minute Warm Up

Weighted Mobility

Scapular Shrugs 4x15r 

Stoped on 3rd set, as there was a lot of burn in shoulders

Swivel Hips 4x5r

Incline Pushup 4x15r 

Finished but really hard reps after rep 9

German Arm Swing 4x10r

Incline Row 4x15r 

One Arm Upright Lat Lean 4x15s@

 

Are you training to failure the strenght elements?

Valeriy Baibossynov
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Are you training to failure the strenght elements?

No I never train to failure. 

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Valeriy Baibossynov said:

No I never train to failure. 

That's simply strange...as you feel that you can progress is fine. probably the thoracic series of the bridge stressed a bit your shoulders girdle.

Valeriy Baibossynov
38 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

That's simply strange...as you feel that you can progress is fine. probably the thoracic series of the bridge stressed a bit your shoulders girdle.

I did 4x9 in incline pushups and shrugs again today , feels easy, only shoulder protraction is hard part to me. I am going to stay on 12x4 and 12x5 longer. Could it be that my scapula is so weak/tight that it gives me hard time even in such an easy exercise ?

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Valeriy Baibossynov said:

I did 4x9 in incline pushups and shrugs again today , feels easy, only shoulder protraction is hard part to me. I am going to stay on 12x4 and 12x5 longer. Could it be that my scapula is so weak/tight that it gives me hard time even in such an easy exercise ?

It is difficult to say but it is possible.

Valeriy Baibossynov
On 4/29/2023 at 5:55 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

It is difficult to say but it is possible.

thanks for your help, I stayed 4 sessions on 12 x 4 and now it feels ok. So I progress, thanks for your help

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Valeriy Baibossynov said:

thanks for your help, I stayed 4 sessions on 12 x 4 and now it feels ok. So I progress, thanks for your help

SUGGESTION: to not rush in the next step. i've founda that if you add one set with higher rep this will affect defintely more the following especially in the bodyweight training.

so instead of doing 4x15 is better to so 1x15, then a lighter set like 1x6-7, then 2 set of 12. next week you move the set with 6-7 rep on the 3rd set as follow: 15, 12, 7, 12,

then:

15,12,12,7

then 15,12,12,10

then 15,12,12,12

then add one set of 15 and begin with same logic: 15,15,7,12 and so on. it will take time but it works tooooooooooo much.

Valeriy Baibossynov
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

SUGGESTION: to not rush in the next step. i've founda that if you add one set with higher rep this will affect defintely more the following especially in the bodyweight training.

so instead of doing 4x15 is better to so 1x15, then a lighter set like 1x6-7, then 2 set of 12. next week you move the set with 6-7 rep on the 3rd set as follow: 15, 12, 7, 12,

then:

15,12,12,7

then 15,12,12,10

then 15,12,12,12

then add one set of 15 and begin with same logic: 15,15,7,12 and so on. it will take time but it works tooooooooooo much.

I see your idea. Makes sense to me. I will follow that, as it looks like more step by step approach at this higher rep ranges.