This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SPL/SE4 (open planche) progress stalling

Started by David Hurwitz, March 10, 2023 · 7 Replies · 67 Views

David Hurwitz

Alex and Team,

I've been working on the open planche for a few months. My progress is stalling. It feels like I take one step forward, and then two steps back. Generally what happens is this:

I'll work up to 4x18 and perform the sets successfully. The next week at 5x18, I will actually fail during set 3 or 4, so it's worse than the week before. Then I might bump it down another cycle and still feel weaker than I did at the 4x18 set. I eventually work back up to completing 4x18 but then the same thing happens.

I could switch to a Steady State Cycle. Or I could create smaller cycles, so from 12 seconds to 15 seconds to 18 seconds, for example.

I even played around with a variation where one leg is in a regular tight tuck and the other leg is extended in an open tuck. The challenge with that method was that the load on the extended side was significantly heavier than on the tight tuck side.

I welcome anyone's suggestions. I'm frustrated but extremely dedicated.

Thanks,

David

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, David Hurwitz said:

Alex and Team,

I've been working on the open planche for a few months. My progress is stalling. It feels like I take one step forward, and then two steps back. Generally what happens is this:

I'll work up to 4x18 and perform the sets successfully. The next week at 5x18, I will actually fail during set 3 or 4, so it's worse than the week before. Then I might bump it down another cycle and still feel weaker than I did at the 4x18 set. I eventually work back up to completing 4x18 but then the same thing happens.

I could switch to a Steady State Cycle. Or I could create smaller cycles, so from 12 seconds to 15 seconds to 18 seconds, for example.

I even played around with a variation where one leg is in a regular tight tuck and the other leg is extended in an open tuck. The challenge with that method was that the load on the extended side was significantly heavier than on the tight tuck side.

I welcome anyone's suggestions. I'm frustrated but extremely dedicated.

Thanks,

David

Hi david, i need more informations. i need to know:

- how many weeks in a row did you train planche;

- how many days a week are you training for planche? are you doing the bent arm mobility in between the main sets?

- what exercise are you doing for the hollowbackpress progression

 

M.A.

David Hurwitz

Alex,

I've been on this specific progression for approximately 3 months. Maybe more. It's been a while since I tested out of regular tuck planche. I train planche on Monday and Thursday and do the bent arm mobility between sets.

As far as hollowback press progression, I am up to negative handstand pushups. Because I don't have solid handstand balance, the headstand pushups and negatives are a challenge. So what I do is get into a wall handstand with my stomach against the wall, pull my feet off the wall, and perform the negative. I warm those up with pushups, pseudo planche pushups, ring dips, Bulgarian ring dips, and box headstand pushups.

Does this help give you a clearer picture?

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, David Hurwitz said:

Alex,

I've been on this specific progression for approximately 3 months. Maybe more. It's been a while since I tested out of regular tuck planche. I train planche on Monday and Thursday and do the bent arm mobility between sets.

As far as hollowback press progression, I am up to negative handstand pushups. Because I don't have solid handstand balance, the headstand pushups and negatives are a challenge. So what I do is get into a wall handstand with my stomach against the wall, pull my feet off the wall, and perform the negative. I warm those up with pushups, pseudo planche pushups, ring dips, Bulgarian ring dips, and box headstand pushups.

Does this help give you a clearer picture?

Can I ask you to post a max seconds of tuck planche hold? 

Also please try to rest in between sets without IM for a couple of sessions and see how it goes.  also areyou training to failure?

David Hurwitz

Thanks, Alex.

I'm not training to failure. If my workout is 4x18, for example, then I stop after 18 seconds. The only time I train to failure is when I fail before I reach my required hold time.

I will take videos on Monday when I do my planche training again.

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, David Hurwitz said:

Thanks, Alex.

I'm not training to failure. If my workout is 4x18, for example, then I stop after 18 seconds. The only time I train to failure is when I fail before I reach my required hold time.

I will take videos on Monday when I do my planche training again.

if your last set is going to be to failer then it is becuse lso the first one is too much closer to failure.

David Hurwitz

Alex,

Below are clips of my tuck planche and open tuck planche. You'll see where I loose protraction and fail. The camera angle on the open tuck isn't good, but I assure you that my knees are considerably behind my elbows, even though it doesn't look like it.

 

Thanks again for all your help,

David

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, David Hurwitz said:

Alex,

Below are clips of my tuck planche and open tuck planche. You'll see where I loose protraction and fail. The camera angle on the open tuck isn't good, but I assure you that my knees are considerably behind my elbows, even though it doesn't look like it.

 

Thanks again for all your help,

David

Probably i would convert the volume of 5x18'' in set of 8-9ì'' that is the seconds range where you do not lose protraction.