This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/SE3 - weight or no weight?

Started by Massimiliano Rossi, December 4, 2022 · 3 Replies · 26 Views

Massimiliano Rossi

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking to hear your opinion on 'ideal' progression for Single Leg Squats.

Slowly, but steadily, I'm working through all the progressions at it will be a couple of weeks until I achieve mastery for the negative SLS.

Point is, I can only do them with a weight to counterbalance forward at this point (as I also did for the static bottom position SLS).

From here on, how would you progress:

1-Keep using the weight for balance, move to Rocking Single Leg Squats, then Single Leg Squats(still using the weight) and THEN starts scaling down the weight (3kg, 2kg, 1.5kg, 0,5kg) on the final movement until I can do full SLS without any assistance.

Or...

2-Stick with Negative SLS for a couple more months, progressively scale down the weight on this element (SE3) until I can do them unassisted and then move into the next progressions (SE4-SE5...) only afterwards.

Curious to hear what you think as it's not fully specified in the course's instructions.

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Massimiliano Rossi said:

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking to hear your opinion on 'ideal' progression for Single Leg Squats.

Slowly, but steadily, I'm working through all the progressions at it will be a couple of weeks until I achieve mastery for the negative SLS.

Point is, I can only do them with a weight to counterbalance forward at this point (as I also did for the static bottom position SLS).

From here on, how would you progress:

1-Keep using the weight for balance, move to Rocking Single Leg Squats, then Single Leg Squats(still using the weight) and THEN starts scaling down the weight (3kg, 2kg, 1.5kg, 0,5kg) on the final movement until I can do full SLS without any assistance.

Or...

2-Stick with Negative SLS for a couple more months, progressively scale down the weight on this element (SE3) until I can do them unassisted and then move into the next progressions (SE4-SE5...) only afterwards.

Curious to hear what you think as it's not fully specified in the course's instructions.

Hi Massimiliano, if you have necessity of a counter weigth probably is due to lack of rom on the ankle, sometihng that cnanot be fixed once the growth has reached. an alternative is to use something elevated under your heel.

Massimiliano Rossi
41 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Massimiliano, if you have necessity of a counter weigth probably is due to lack of rom on the ankle, sometihng that cnanot be fixed once the growth has reached. an alternative is to use something elevated under your heel.

Thanks for your answer. So would you say it's ok to still progress through the SLS elements with a small counter balance or elevated heel, provided form is ok?

Alessandro Mainente
On 12/4/2022 at 12:09 PM, Massimiliano Rossi said:

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking to hear your opinion on 'ideal' progression for Single Leg Squats.

Slowly, but steadily, I'm working through all the progressions at it will be a couple of weeks until I achieve mastery for the negative SLS.

Point is, I can only do them with a weight to counterbalance forward at this point (as I also did for the static bottom position SLS).

From here on, how would you progress:

1-Keep using the weight for balance, move to Rocking Single Leg Squats, then Single Leg Squats(still using the weight) and THEN starts scaling down the weight (3kg, 2kg, 1.5kg, 0,5kg) on the final movement until I can do full SLS without any assistance.

Or...

2-Stick with Negative SLS for a couple more months, progressively scale down the weight on this element (SE3) until I can do them unassisted and then move into the next progressions (SE4-SE5...) only afterwards.

Curious to hear what you think as it's not fully specified in the course's instructions.

Both of them are fine...logistically..elevated heel requires less effort on the upper body.