This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Two versions of workout schedule. Input appreciated!

Started by Patriq Hansson, November 7, 2022 · 6 Replies · 154 Views

Patriq Hansson

I would love som input and opinions on these two different setups for a workout schedule.
The goal is for them to be completed weekly.
I want my workouts to include the following components:
- Mobility (since I'm stiff as a board)
- Foundation and Handstand series (of course)
- Basic weight lifting (to boost strength progress).


THE 5 DAYS / WEEK SPLIT

Shoulder Day:
- Warmup
- Single bar shoulder mobility
- Handstand series
- Over head barbell press (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 other shoulder exercises
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)


Core Day:
- Warmup
- Knee series
- FL + SL + MN
- Deadlifts (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 core exercises.
- Restore series (Hips, Hamstring, Quads, Knees / Ankles)


Push Day:
- Warmup
- Weighted mobility
- sPL + HBP
- Bench press (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 chest exercises
- 2 - 3 triceps exercises
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)
 

Leg Day:
- Warmup
- Knee series
- SLS
- Barbell squats (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 other leg exercises
- Restore series (Hips, Hamstring, Quads, Knees / Ankles)


Pull Day
- Warmup
- Weighted mobility
- RC
- Barbell rows (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 back exercises 
- 2 - 3 biceps exercises
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)


The above takes about 2 hours to complete, each day. It may seem much but it's a lot of mobility work in there, which take time. 


 

THE 3 DAYS / WEEK SPLIT 


Push Day:
- Warmup 
- Single bar shoulder mobility 
- Handstand series
- sPL + HBP
- Bench press (5x5 reps)
- Over head barbell press (5x5 reps)
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)


Leg & Core Day:
- Warmup
- Knee series
- SLS
- FL, SL, MN
- Barbell squats (5x5 reps)
- Restore series (Hips, Hamstring, Quads, Knees / Ankles)


Pull Day:
- Warmup
- Weighted mobility
- RC
- Deadlifts (5x5 reps)
- Barbell rows (5x5 reps)
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)


So these workouts a bit longer than 2 hours to complete, but it gives me more room for extra rest days or cardio / grappling if I would like to add that.  
Notice that here I've removed the extra "fluff" strength exercises and keep only the classic base strength exercises. 

Do you think it seems like two solid setups? too much? anything not compatible within the exercise days?
Any adjustments you would make?


Cheers, and good luck with your training! 

Patriq 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Patriq Hansson said:

I would love som input and opinions on these two different setups for a workout schedule.
The goal is for them to be completed weekly.
I want my workouts to include the following components:
- Mobility (since I'm stiff as a board)
- Foundation and Handstand series (of course)
- Basic weight lifting (to boost strength progress).


THE 5 DAYS / WEEK SPLIT

Shoulder Day:
- Warmup
- Single bar shoulder mobility
- Handstand series
- Over head barbell press (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 other shoulder exercises
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)


Core Day:
- Warmup
- Knee series
- FL + SL + MN
- Deadlifts (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 core exercises.
- Restore series (Hips, Hamstring, Quads, Knees / Ankles)


Push Day:
- Warmup
- Weighted mobility
- sPL + HBP
- Bench press (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 chest exercises
- 2 - 3 triceps exercises
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)
 

Leg Day:
- Warmup
- Knee series
- SLS
- Barbell squats (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 other leg exercises
- Restore series (Hips, Hamstring, Quads, Knees / Ankles)


Pull Day
- Warmup
- Weighted mobility
- RC
- Barbell rows (5x5 reps)
- 2 - 3 back exercises 
- 2 - 3 biceps exercises
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)


The above takes about 2 hours to complete, each day. It may seem much but it's a lot of mobility work in there, which take time. 


 

THE 3 DAYS / WEEK SPLIT 


Push Day:
- Warmup 
- Single bar shoulder mobility 
- Handstand series
- sPL + HBP
- Bench press (5x5 reps)
- Over head barbell press (5x5 reps)
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)


Leg & Core Day:
- Warmup
- Knee series
- SLS
- FL, SL, MN
- Barbell squats (5x5 reps)
- Restore series (Hips, Hamstring, Quads, Knees / Ankles)


Pull Day:
- Warmup
- Weighted mobility
- RC
- Deadlifts (5x5 reps)
- Barbell rows (5x5 reps)
- Restore series (Shoulder, Scapula, Thoracic)


So these workouts a bit longer than 2 hours to complete, but it gives me more room for extra rest days or cardio / grappling if I would like to add that.  
Notice that here I've removed the extra "fluff" strength exercises and keep only the classic base strength exercises. 

Do you think it seems like two solid setups? too much? anything not compatible within the exercise days?
Any adjustments you would make?


Cheers, and good luck with your training! 

Patriq 

 

 

 

hi Patriq, the schedule depends strongly on your level so i cannot say to much for now.

The schedule of one day a week works if you do a lot of different exercises especially from the strength zone. if you less movement you need higher frequency.

personally i do not like the split based on push pull core etc because once you begin the body lever progresison and the planche lean progression which are generally in the core section you are no longer training only the core , the primary muscles are shoulders and lats. now as you progress you MUST consider the overlap of the range of movement. for example doing dips + planche + benchpress + overheadpress requires to you to merge different intensities and for this reason have a priority. i have tried in the past to merge many exercises with parallel strenght progression and it was a disaster with heavy over training. the more you want to merge the more you must be an expert on programming and periodization. if you are not....take it simple.

Patriq Hansson
8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

hi Patriq, the schedule depends strongly on your level so i cannot say to much for now.

The schedule of one day a week works if you do a lot of different exercises especially from the strength zone. if you less movement you need higher frequency.

personally i do not like the split based on push pull core etc because once you begin the body lever progresison and the planche lean progression which are generally in the core section you are no longer training only the core , the primary muscles are shoulders and lats. now as you progress you MUST consider the overlap of the range of movement. for example doing dips + planche + benchpress + overheadpress requires to you to merge different intensities and for this reason have a priority. i have tried in the past to merge many exercises with parallel strenght progression and it was a disaster with heavy over training. the more you want to merge the more you must be an expert on programming and periodization. if you are not....take it simple.

Thanks for you answer and feedback Alessandro! 
My current level is still at the early stages of all 7 exercises (8 if I include Handstand). Mainly because I can't get past the mobility elements.  
I would say however that I have a good idea on how to perform the exercises with good technique, and the same applies for deadlift, squats etc. Been getting a lot of coaching on technique through the years. 

The main thing holding my progression back is mobility issues, and that's why I try to include a lot of Restore, Weighted mobility etc in my workouts. 
However, the reason why I'm thinking about also including basic power lifting is that I feel a lack of progress in my strength. 
I know others have pointed it out before, and I agree with them that after a day of, for example, doing Scapular Shrugs (sPL) and Pushups (HBP) it feels like I have barely worked out at all afterwards. Even though the exercises themselves are hard enough for me not to be able to complete all sets and reps, and my muscles ache there and then when performing my workout, afterward I don't feel very tired. Like I could do the workout all over again right away. 

So, to keep things simple as you suggest, wouldn't a simple schedule be to split the Foundation exercises in 3, as they are already divided into
- Upper Body
- Lower Body
- Core

To that I add ONLY the "Big Three" (Deadlift, Barbell Squat and Bench Press). No other weighted exercises. 

If / when I progress into elements which overlap I could always adjust my schedule. 

The main thing is for me to see some strength progress, which is just not happening at the moment. 
 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Patriq Hansson said:

Thanks for you answer and feedback Alessandro! 
My current level is still at the early stages of all 7 exercises (8 if I include Handstand). Mainly because I can't get past the mobility elements.  
I would say however that I have a good idea on how to perform the exercises with good technique, and the same applies for deadlift, squats etc. Been getting a lot of coaching on technique through the years. 

The main thing holding my progression back is mobility issues, and that's why I try to include a lot of Restore, Weighted mobility etc in my workouts. 
However, the reason why I'm thinking about also including basic power lifting is that I feel a lack of progress in my strength. 
I know others have pointed it out before, and I agree with them that after a day of, for example, doing Scapular Shrugs (sPL) and Pushups (HBP) it feels like I have barely worked out at all afterwards. Even though the exercises themselves are hard enough for me not to be able to complete all sets and reps, and my muscles ache there and then when performing my workout, afterward I don't feel very tired. Like I could do the workout all over again right away. 

So, to keep things simple as you suggest, wouldn't a simple schedule be to split the Foundation exercises in 3, as they are already divided into
- Upper Body
- Lower Body
- Core

To that I add ONLY the "Big Three" (Deadlift, Barbell Squat and Bench Press). No other weighted exercises. 

If / when I progress into elements which overlap I could always adjust my schedule. 

The main thing is for me to see some strength progress, which is just not happening at the moment. 
 

For now....i like mroe the 5 days split...

Bill Marr

For my two cents, if mobility is your biggest issue, I'm surprised not to see any of the Stretch Series in your weekly routine. The Middle Split, Front Split, and Thoracic Bridge workouts are incredible for enhancing mobility. Humbling when you first start them, if you keep at it, you will be amazed at how much they increase your overall athleticism and movement.

Patriq Hansson
9 hours ago, Bill Marr said:

For my two cents, if mobility is your biggest issue, I'm surprised not to see any of the Stretch Series in your weekly routine. The Middle Split, Front Split, and Thoracic Bridge workouts are incredible for enhancing mobility. Humbling when you first start them, if you keep at it, you will be amazed at how much they increase your overall athleticism and movement.

I tried earlier to include them but found that I was so horribly inflexible, so I decided I first wanted to work on the Restore series, and now I’ve also included Knee, Single Bar, and Weighted Mobility. 
My plan though is to start doing the three stretch series again as well, when I feel that I no longer get much out of the Restore series. 
Also a reason why I think about the 3 day split. Then I can just add one stretch program to each workout day :)
You think I should start doing them already? 

However, since Alessandro prefers the 5 day split and he has a LOT of experience I will follow his advice and start there. 
 

Bonus question: I now do the knee series etc at the beginning of my workouts. Should I keep them there or are they better suited to be done at the end? 
 

Cheers 

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Patriq Hansson said:

I tried earlier to include them but found that I was so horribly inflexible, so I decided I first wanted to work on the Restore series, and now I’ve also included Knee, Single Bar, and Weighted Mobility. 
My plan though is to start doing the three stretch series again as well, when I feel that I no longer get much out of the Restore series. 
Also a reason why I think about the 3 day split. Then I can just add one stretch program to each workout day :)
You think I should start doing them already? 

However, since Alessandro prefers the 5 day split and he has a LOT of experience I will follow his advice and start there. 
 

Bonus question: I now do the knee series etc at the beginning of my workouts. Should I keep them there or are they better suited to be done at the end? 
 

Cheers 

If you are going to perform legs.......then use them as cool down...generally speaking avoid long static stretch before legs..