This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Full front lever

Started by Awais Muzaffar, November 6, 2022 · 7 Replies · 132 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hi coaches,

Two questions:

1. My hold until failure is 5 seconds max or 10+ seconds (half lay, knees together). For now I've decided to break this down into 3-5 sets of 2-3 seconds each.

In a given week, one day I will dedicate to the isometric hold only, and on another day I will be focused on dynamic varations only, e.g kip extension, front pulls etc... I need a recommendation on a strategy that will improve my hold time.

2. Is there anything I can do to improve my current form (video below of a 3 second hold after multiple sets).

Thank you as always!

 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi coaches,

Two questions:

1. My hold until failure is 5 seconds max or 10+ seconds (half lay, knees together). For now I've decided to break this down into 3-5 sets of 2-3 seconds each.

In a given week, one day I will dedicate to the isometric hold only, and on another day I will be focused on dynamic varations only, e.g kip extension, front pulls etc... I need a recommendation on a strategy that will improve my hold time.

2. Is there anything I can do to improve my current form (video below of a 3 second hold after multiple sets).

Thank you as always!

 

yes...i would shift on the half lay until you can do 5 sets of 10. then you can use an intermediate steps where one legs is held on the full lay out position.

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay so here is a 1-leg hold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMzhpSmhmQ and then after a couple minutes rest I did this half lay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLDeCaUFxoQ

What do you think?

mmmmmmm nope this is not a one leg front lever i was meaning to. i was referring to an half lay out positition with one leg in the full front lever position. what you have done is easier , something similar to a straddle version.

my basic suggestion at this stage of front lever development is to train a variation only if you can perform a 6'' hold. in this case train it for 2 weeks then deload....no more..

Awais Muzaffar

Ah okay! I confused it with the one in GB course. But I get what you mean now...

730606556_Screenshot2022-11-07at19_50_07.thumb.png.6e80c63605c2b706fd787e1c6f50195a.png

Also do you mean a minimum of 6 seconds (without failure of course)? And once I do this for 2 weeks, do I deload to an easier position?

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Ah okay! I confused it with the one in GB course. But I get what you mean now...

730606556_Screenshot2022-11-07at19_50_07.thumb.png.6e80c63605c2b706fd787e1c6f50195a.png

Also do you mean a minimum of 6 seconds (without failure of course)? And once I do this for 2 weeks, do I deload to an easier position?

6 seconds to failure it means train in the range 2-4'' but without failure during the training session. the deload can be made with different strategies. changing progression is an option.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks for the suggestion. The one leg extended, other half-lay, I feel like gives me the best bang for buck. It's more challenging than half-lay but less demanding than the full. My max hold on this without losing form is probably 6-7 seconds;

What I really need to master is the practice of deload - I find it hard to stop and just want to do more and more.


And here is an example:

 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks for the suggestion. The one leg extended, other half-lay, I feel like gives me the best bang for buck. It's more challenging than half-lay but less demanding than the full. My max hold on this without losing form is probably 6-7 seconds;

What I really need to master is the practice of deload - I find it hard to stop and just want to do more and more.


And here is an example:

 

in this case i would use a band that makes the lever easier but pay attention. a band that allows 7-8'' and no more...so that you can do more volume in the week. then with this band work with 4-5 sets with the idea of reaching 5x5''. you can begin with sets of 4'' and pass to 5'' only if in all the sets of 4'' you can feel that you have still 3'' in the tank in all the sets. do not work more than 2 weeks in a row.