This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Coaches/Leaders: Starting Restore with back problems

Started by Erik Matheson, October 5, 2022 · 2 Replies · 37 Views

Erik Matheson

Hi all,

I currently have some issues with my back and am looking to avoid surgery if possible by strengthening the surrounding area the best I can.  

Below are some details:

Recently had an MRI and X-rays done on my back.  The results are that I have major significant abnormal findings at my L5/S1, with combination of disc herniation, degenerative disc space narrowing, with surrounding diffuse bone marrow edema changes at this level.  At my L4 nerve roots have disc bulging with borderline protrusion.  Neurosurgeon said that the only surgery he could do is a lower lumbar spinal fusion, but there are no guarantees.  Since the pain is limited to my back and butt and does not going all the way down my leg, he suggested I do everything I can to try and not get the surgery.  Again, no guarantees either way with my current condition.  His suggestions were exercise strengthening the surrounding area, physical therapy, massage, and chiropractor.  If it matter’s I am like 5’10/ 200lbs.

Are there any specific exercises I should start with or would beginning from exercise 1 on the restore program be a good place to start?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Erik Matheson said:

Hi all,

I currently have some issues with my back and am looking to avoid surgery if possible by strengthening the surrounding area the best I can.  

Below are some details:

Recently had an MRI and X-rays done on my back.  The results are that I have major significant abnormal findings at my L5/S1, with combination of disc herniation, degenerative disc space narrowing, with surrounding diffuse bone marrow edema changes at this level.  At my L4 nerve roots have disc bulging with borderline protrusion.  Neurosurgeon said that the only surgery he could do is a lower lumbar spinal fusion, but there are no guarantees.  Since the pain is limited to my back and butt and does not going all the way down my leg, he suggested I do everything I can to try and not get the surgery.  Again, no guarantees either way with my current condition.  His suggestions were exercise strengthening the surrounding area, physical therapy, massage, and chiropractor.  If it matter’s I am like 5’10/ 200lbs.

Are there any specific exercises I should start with or would beginning from exercise 1 on the restore program be a good place to start?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

HI Erik, this is a particular situation...probably a physioterapist is the best solution if you want to understand what you can do or what you must avoid. Personally i consider an online opinion too risky.

Adam Rosner 365999

I’m not qualified to give any advise here, but I had a similar injury on this same disc, with sciatica and the like. My sciatica was the worst part. Now it took a year or two before the pain localized to the butt/back like you described, and it took another year or two before one day I just realized I hadn’t had back pain for some time. It did completely heal for me but took some time. I post this just because it is important to know that there is hope without surgery. You will need to access your own situation but this is my experience