This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RMU mobility

Started by Aart-Jan Hak, August 19, 2022 · 11 Replies · 89 Views

Aart-Jan Hak

Hello, 

I have a question which might be related to my limited shoulder ROM, when doing negative ring muscle ups I cannot perform these without bringing my hips and legs forward when lowering down so out of vertical alignment. Is this an issue when trying to get to a straight ring muscle up and if so is there anything you could recommend to improve my form? 

Furthermore, I can do 5x5 eccentric RMU, how can I progress? Is there a way to access RINGS 2 programme (if that is existing)? 
Thanks & kind regards, 

Aart-Jan

https://youtube.com/shorts/K4K3029JABw?feature=share

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Aart-Jan Hak said:

Hello, 

I have a question which might be related to my limited shoulder ROM, when doing negative ring muscle ups I cannot perform these without bringing my hips and legs forward when lowering down so out of vertical alignment. Is this an issue when trying to get to a straight ring muscle up and if so is there anything you could recommend to improve my form? 

Furthermore, I can do 5x5 eccentric RMU, how can I progress? Is there a way to access RINGS 2 programme (if that is existing)? 
Thanks & kind regards, 

Aart-Jan

https://youtube.com/shorts/K4K3029JABw?feature=share

Hi Jan, the body adjustment is related to rings nature where if something goes back something else goes forward. everything trying to hold the center of mass under the point of attachment on the rings.

so basically you cannot stay perfectly vertical with the body with  one exception: butterfly moount or wide grip muscleup where you move in between the rings and not behind them. the only thing that you can try is to hold the hips extended all the time to avoid excessive hips flexion.

what about form: you tend to lose shoulder depression after the transition...all your neck should be always visibile until the elbows move to locked out position. so there is still work to do in this negative..

Aart-Jan Hak
On 8/20/2022 at 11:00 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Jan, the body adjustment is related to rings nature where if something goes back something else goes forward. everything trying to hold the center of mass under the point of attachment on the rings.

so basically you cannot stay perfectly vertical with the body with  one exception: butterfly moount or wide grip muscleup where you move in between the rings and not behind them. the only thing that you can try is to hold the hips extended all the time to avoid excessive hips flexion.

what about form: you tend to lose shoulder depression after the transition...all your neck should be always visibile until the elbows move to locked out position. so there is still work to do in this negative..

Thank you very much for the feedback Allessandro. I tried to pay attention to that and noticed that this forces me to do the transition much lower on my chest, which would mean that in my normal (not negative)RMU I would need to pull much higher. This is probably due to poor shoulder / elbow mobility? I made some quick video's this afternoon of my last to sets for review/reference:

https://youtube.com/shorts/mKMBTUhNTU4

https://youtube.com/shorts/awbE4kWRLeI

Thanks for any tips you could share. I've been working on RMU for years without result so hope to somehow still get there someday!

Kind regards,

Aart-Jan

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Aart-Jan Hak said:

Thank you very much for the feedback Allessandro. I tried to pay attention to that and noticed that this forces me to do the transition much lower on my chest, which would mean that in my normal (not negative)RMU I would need to pull much higher. This is probably due to poor shoulder / elbow mobility? I made some quick video's this afternoon of my last to sets for review/reference:

https://youtube.com/shorts/mKMBTUhNTU4

https://youtube.com/shorts/awbE4kWRLeI

Thanks for any tips you could share. I've been working on RMU for years without result so hope to somehow still get there someday!

Kind regards,

Aart-Jan

Hi Jan, both the videos are private. btw it can be both a problem of shoulder mobility but also elbow mobility. lack of shoulder extension increases the difficulty of the tansition as the lack of elbow flexion. the less of them you have the higher you should perform the pullup.

A decent amount of pulling strength is of course necessary , i ould say that 10-12 controlled pullup to the chest is a good achievement.

Aart-Jan Hak
4 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Jan, both the videos are private. btw it can be both a problem of shoulder mobility but also elbow mobility. lack of shoulder extension increases the difficulty of the tansition as the lack of elbow flexion. the less of them you have the higher you should perform the pullup.

A decent amount of pulling strength is of course necessary , i ould say that 10-12 controlled pullup to the chest is a good achievement.

Hi Alessandro, 

my bad - I hope the videos should be accessible now!  It's probably both the mobility of shoulder and elbows, if you have any tips for that I would be helpful of course. I did already start to work on the shoulder mobility and thoracic using these courses:

 

image.thumb.png.719d5cf272619a2bc31b7920626d5147.png

 

I can do 8-9 strict chest to rings pull ups

 

Thanks again,

Aart-Jan

image.png

Aart-Jan Hak

hello, can you please approve my content? It seems as @Alessandro Mainente otherwise can not see my reply from Monday

 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
On 9/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, Aart-Jan Hak said:

hello, can you please approve my content? It seems as @Alessandro Mainente otherwise can not see my reply from Monday

 

Thanks!

Hey Jan sorry for the dealy....

well...the shoulder extension can be a problem in this case...you can consider to do some shoulder extension work with bent elbows (approximately 90°) so that you can have a specific carryover...elbows are good. my main techincal suggestion is to focus on shoulder depression as you approach the transition.

Aart-Jan Hak
On 10/28/2022 at 8:22 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Jan sorry for the dealy....

well...the shoulder extension can be a problem in this case...you can consider to do some shoulder extension work with bent elbows (approximately 90°) so that you can have a specific carryover...elbows are good. my main techincal suggestion is to focus on shoulder depression as you approach the transition.

Hi, and thanks for your answer. Could you name specific exercises that I could use for shoulder extension mobility with bent elbows pls? 

 

Thanks & kind regards,

Aart-Jan

Alessandro Mainente
4 minutes ago, Aart-Jan Hak said:

Hi, and thanks for your answer. Could you name specific exercises that I could use for shoulder extension mobility with bent elbows pls? 

 

Thanks & kind regards,

Aart-Jan

Hey Jan,  is the same shouler extension exercise from the stretch series but it is done with bent elbows.

image.png

Aart-Jan Hak
On 10/28/2022 at 8:22 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Jan sorry for the dealy....

well...the shoulder extension can be a problem in this case...you can consider to do some shoulder extension work with bent elbows (approximately 90°) so that you can have a specific carryover...elbows are good. my main techincal suggestion is to focus on shoulder depression as you approach the transition.

Hi, and thanks for your answer. Could you name specific exercises that I could use for shoulder extension mobility with bent elbows pls? 

 

Thanks & kind regards,

Aart-Jan

1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Jan,  is the same shouler extension exercise from the stretch series but it is done with bent elbows.

image.png

Thanks! What stretch series is this referring to? I cannot seem to find it in the guided plans or workout builder

Regards,

Aart-Jan

Matthew Walker

Just came to say this is the greatest artwork I've ever seen.

image.png.93373ccee379648ade211b06352e5170.png

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Matthew Walker said:

Just came to say this is the greatest artwork I've ever seen.

image.png.93373ccee379648ade211b06352e5170.png

ahahahah thanks