This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow pain - substitution for mobility work?

Started by David Pardy 340028, August 7, 2022 · 13 Replies · 92 Views

David Pardy 340028

Hi,

I currently have what seems to be Golfer's Elbow - tendon pain on the inside of the elbow.

It's triggered by things such as Table mobility (alongside Bent Hollow Body Rocks), and some pulling exercises.

Just wondering if there's anything I can substitute while I rest it?  Perhaps a shoulder bridge or something alongside the BHB Rocks?

I'm assuming I'll need to put a pause on ground rows for now as well, or would it be possible to still do these but without fully extending the arms?

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 8/7/2022 at 8:47 AM, David Pardy 340028 said:

Hi,

I currently have what seems to be Golfer's Elbow - tendon pain on the inside of the elbow.

It's triggered by things such as Table mobility (alongside Bent Hollow Body Rocks), and some pulling exercises.

Just wondering if there's anything I can substitute while I rest it?  Perhaps a shoulder bridge or something alongside the BHB Rocks?

I'm assuming I'll need to put a pause on ground rows for now as well, or would it be possible to still do these but without fully extending the arms?

 

Hi David..the golfer elbows is outside.

it seems strange to me that you have developed this pain by going only a ground rows. with higher probability it is due to the table rocks but i do not thinnk is epitrocleitis because it is more linked to absorption of high tension like clapping pullup or rope climbing. simply rest from table...

David Pardy 340028

Hi Alex, I'm not certain when or how it started as I've had it on and off for a few months now.  I have also noticed that I seem to lean hard on my right arm at the desk as well, which I'm also trying to be aware of and stop doing as I believe this has contributed to it (long periods under strain)

I will just rest from table for now and see how it goes.  Thanks

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

Hi Alex, I'm not certain when or how it started as I've had it on and off for a few months now.  I have also noticed that I seem to lean hard on my right arm at the desk as well, which I'm also trying to be aware of and stop doing as I believe this has contributed to it (long periods under strain)

I will just rest from table for now and see how it goes.  Thanks

The best solution is to avoid things that can cause pain...

Bill Marr

Hey David. Ground rows have triggered golfer's elbow for me in the past as well. In addition to rest, I found using a TheraBand FlexBar to be helpful. Good luck!

Alessandro Mainente
On 8/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, David Pardy 340028 said:

Hi Alex, I'm not certain when or how it started as I've had it on and off for a few months now.  I have also noticed that I seem to lean hard on my right arm at the desk as well, which I'm also trying to be aware of and stop doing as I believe this has contributed to it (long periods under strain)

I will just rest from table for now and see how it goes.  Thanks

For now can you tell please how many times are you dogin the rows? any other form of barbell work? biceps work? are you very meticulous on the scapular depression?

David Pardy 340028

@Alessandro Mainente

I'm currently doing them once every four days but I have actually missed a number of weeks in the last couple of months.  I've mostly only been consistent with the BHBR/Table work and Pushups with Xiaopeng Forwards, and Scap Shrugs.

I haven't done any barbell work.

I've been working quite hard at using the correct scapular positioning for all the above exercises

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

@Alessandro Mainente

I'm currently doing them once every four days but I have actually missed a number of weeks in the last couple of months.  I've mostly only been consistent with the BHBR/Table work and Pushups with Xiaopeng Forwards, and Scap Shrugs.

I haven't done any barbell work.

I've been working quite hard at using the correct scapular positioning for all the above exercises

ok....probably is due to table tocks...so...it is not really an epitrocleitis...

David Pardy 340028

@Alessandro Mainente

So today was straddle-ups - and I discovered that the elbow was being aggravated by the straddle ups, presumably due to the movement in the extended position.

 

I've attached a photo of exactly where the pain is - it's very near the surface near that bit of bone that sticks out679863994_elbowpain.thumb.jpg.4ec3b7568647a870b7e89e66cf65ffb4.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Hey David it seems to be the epitrocleitis...but it is not caused by the rows itself. do you have a video of the rows?

David Pardy 340028

Hi Alex, I'll take a video when I do them again in a few days :)

I have a suspicion it's from sitting at my desk but it's so hard to tell.  I've been trying not to lean on the arm like I was previously so I guess I'll see how it goes over the next few days

David Pardy 340028

@Alessandro Mainente Here is a video I recorded of the rows today.  I also noted that the elbow was irritated during Jefferson Curls (27kg) and not so much during the straddle-ups as I previously thought.  All of the straight-arm exercises so far whether pushing or pulling seem to affect it in some degree, which is frustrating as obviously I don't want to have to stop doing anything and lose even more strength :)

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 8/16/2022 at 5:12 AM, David Pardy 340028 said:

@Alessandro Mainente Here is a video I recorded of the rows today.  I also noted that the elbow was irritated during Jefferson Curls (27kg) and not so much during the straddle-ups as I previously thought.  All of the straight-arm exercises so far whether pushing or pulling seem to affect it in some degree, which is frustrating as obviously I don't want to have to stop doing anything and lose even more strength :)

 

 

There is not too much to say about your execution because it is fine.

David Pardy 340028

Thanks Alex, I've noticed since easing up just on the Table exercises that the elbow seems to be overall less troublesome despite the other exercises.  I'll see how it goes and then possibly cut back more if I have to, I'll find alternatives.