This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/PE16 - These are hard!

Started by Awais Muzaffar, July 23, 2022 · 20 Replies · 327 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hey coaches - Is it okay to do front pull by only going to horizontal as a temporary measure until I get stronger?

Also inverted hang to front lever hold seems easy, but when I try to go into front lever hold from dead hang I can barely hold it.

Example:

 

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey coaches - Is it okay to do front pull by only going to horizontal as a temporary measure until I get stronger?

Also inverted hang to front lever hold seems easy, but when I try to go into front lever hold from dead hang I can barely hold it.

Example:

 

you should go for more speed...too slow for now

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks Alessandro - your advice about speed helped me with the full ROM.

Now the second issue is my hips close a bit; I guess I have two options; Either do more reps with my current progression OR focus on sets of 1 rep but work on keeping hips open...

 

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks Alessandro - your advice about speed helped me with the full ROM.

Now the second issue is my hips close a bit; I guess I have two options; Either do more reps with my current progression OR focus on sets of 1 rep but work on keeping hips open...

 

another solution can be move to an easier leverage. working on 1 rep is fine BUT not if your amrap is 1 rep. you must have something in the tank.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks that's also good solution...

Also what felt nearly impossible 10 days ago, is now starting to feel a bit easier :)

 

Alessandro Mainente
30 minutes ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks that's also good solution...

Also what felt nearly impossible 10 days ago, is now starting to feel a bit easier :)

 

nice work here...now...as you pass the parallel think about to push the heels down and hips up...

Awais Muzaffar

Okay hips more open now and I feel more fluid in the movement.

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 8/18/2022 at 10:18 AM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay hips more open now and I feel more fluid in the movement.

 

hey Awais....nice form...i suggest a faster eccentrich (something like 2'') so that you can some energy to do 2 reps in the first set (never train to failure of course). a good imput can be to think about raising the hips while pushing the heels down...in this way if glutes are active then the knees will raise too...

Awais Muzaffar

Ok I'll keep the eccentrics faster. And like you say, hips up, heels down! I'll try to put more focus on that cue mentally.

Thanks as always!

Awais Muzaffar

Slightly off-topic; But I think I've got a full front lever... I should have made my legs and feet touch more together though!
 

 

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Slightly off-topic; But I think I've got a full front lever... I should have made my legs and feet touch more together though!
 

 

finally...you have almost conquered it!

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks to your guidance as always! What things can I fix to make it 100% conquered?

Awais Muzaffar

And back to topic; 2 reps now and as you said when going past parallel; hips up, feet down. You can see, especially in first rep, my hips are open.

 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

And back to topic; 2 reps now and as you said when going past parallel; hips up, feet down. You can see, especially in first rep, my hips are open.

 

nicely done....

Awais Muzaffar

Hi. as we've adjusted my routine to be push/pull 2x per week, does the below seem okay for the pull:

With the RC progression, I should be on F4 soon-ish.

Day 1 - Push

Day 2 - Pull

  • Front pull (fl) - main sets prescribed for the day
  • Front lever pulls (rc) - 2/3 of the sets of the Day 4 pull, with one rep less
  • Hollow body hold - 60 seconds

Day 3 - Push

Day 4 - Pull

  • Pullovers - 5 reps (as a warmup, but if it will tire me for front lever pull and front pull, then I may need to remove this)
  • Front lever pulls (rc) -  Atleast 4 sets of 5.
  • Front pull (fl) - 2/3 of the sets of the Day 2 pull with one rep less
  • Wide pull-ups - amrap, but 1-2 less than failure or weighted (5 reps)

Thanks!
 

Alessandro Mainente
On 5/31/2023 at 4:36 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi. as we've adjusted my routine to be push/pull 2x per week, does the below seem okay for the pull:

With the RC progression, I should be on F4 soon-ish.

Day 1 - Push

Day 2 - Pull

  • Front pull (fl) - main sets prescribed for the day
  • Front lever pulls (rc) - 2/3 of the sets of the Day 4 pull, with one rep less
  • Hollow body hold - 60 seconds

Day 3 - Push

Day 4 - Pull

  • Pullovers - 5 reps (as a warmup, but if it will tire me for front lever pull and front pull, then I may need to remove this)
  • Front lever pulls (rc) -  Atleast 4 sets of 5.
  • Front pull (fl) - 2/3 of the sets of the Day 2 pull with one rep less
  • Wide pull-ups - amrap, but 1-2 less than failure or weighted (5 reps)

Thanks!
 

the subdivisione depends strongly on the intenstiy zone of the main exercise, the harder the exercise the less you can do on the rest.

Awais Muzaffar

So front pulls, including half front pulls for FL are intense for me. They may eat into my RC when it comes to horzintal pulling movement like the front lever pull, I might need to replace it with vertical pulling on Day 2.

But for sure I need to increase the amount of times I focus on main exercise to atleast 2 sessions. per week.
 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

So front pulls, including half front pulls for FL are intense for me. They may eat into my RC when it comes to horzintal pulling movement like the front lever pull, I might need to replace it with vertical pulling on Day 2.

But for sure I need to increase the amount of times I focus on main exercise to atleast 2 sessions. per week.
 

intense does no mean intense for you....intensity it is an absolute parameter. if you do an amrap pf front pull and you do 3 reps you are doing a 90% of intensity. if you do 8 you are doing 75% and so no. intensity is related to the maximum number of possible repetitions with a weight (in gst the weight is the bodyweight) 

search on the web a table that related the max numer of reps with the corrisponding absolute intensity

Awais Muzaffar

Okay I get you. Intensity varies as a paramter, and I will need to adjust that when dividing my pull workouts between the main exercises.

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay I get you. Intensity varies as a paramter, and I will need to adjust that when dividing my pull workouts between the main exercises.

what creates the main fatigue is the exercises of a family (like pulling) which has the highest intensity. the high the intenstiy for a movement the less total work of pulling you can do.

Awais Muzaffar

I am experiencing exactly what you are describing above.

I did a test session: A half front pull (fl/se10) for me is max 2 reps between 4 sets, so I’m operating at a high intensity. That affected the form of my front lever pulls (rc). 

I'm not sure how to make this work, the goal being to achieve mastery for both.

I can either:
1. Reduce the intensity of the second exercise, front lever pulls in this example, perhaps to half-lay.
2. Seperate FL and RC work to seperate days, but then I have 4 pull session per week.