This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Intermediate One Program - Stuck with hip swivels

Started by Mr Robert P Goss, June 27, 2022 · 10 Replies · 173 Views

Mr Robert P Goss

Hi, 

I am on my third week of following the Intermediate One program (this is my first Gymnastic Bodies program) and am moving through the progressions generally, but I have a question about the straddle planche progression:

I am easily able to complete the 3 scap pushups, but cannot get my knees to the ground on the hip swivels. Does this mean I stay at this level and do not progress with the scap push-ups until I master the swivels? 
I’m concerned that my scapula strength/mobility may get overtaken by other upper body elements if I am not progressing this, whilst my strict push-ups and ground rows are going up each session.

 

any guidance welcome, thank you. 

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Mr Robert P Goss said:

Hi, 

I am on my third week of following the Intermediate One program (this is my first Gymnastic Bodies program) and am moving through the progressions generally, but I have a question about the straddle planche progression:

I am easily able to complete the 3 scap pushups, but cannot get my knees to the ground on the hip swivels. Does this mean I stay at this level and do not progress with the scap push-ups until I master the swivels? 
I’m concerned that my scapula strength/mobility may get overtaken by other upper body elements if I am not progressing this, whilst my strict push-ups and ground rows are going up each session.

 

any guidance welcome, thank you. 

Hi Robert, ideally yes. i still prefer to see your execution before saying something more...

Mr Robert P Goss

https://imgur.com/a/lcXumBW

Thanks for the reply. I’ve attached a video link above.
I feel like when performing the exercise if I go too low with the leg inwards it puts pressure on my knee (right side in particular) 

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Mr Robert P Goss said:

https://imgur.com/a/lcXumBW

Thanks for the reply. I’ve attached a video link above.
I feel like when performing the exercise if I go too low with the leg inwards it puts pressure on my knee (right side in particular) 

Hey Robert, firt of all spread a bit the foot on the floor...second.. if you perform the test below...especially the pic on the right...how much you rotatore the upper leg? the hips is at 90° angel with the upper body.

image.png

David Pardy 340028

Hi Alex, I'm in a similar situation, been working on hip swivels for years now but can't seem to make any more progress.  Doing it as per the SPL progressions I can maybe get my left knee (the worst one) within maybe 3-4 inches of the floor.  If I do the test demonstrated above I have very little internal rotation.  I do find that my hips seem to get tender very quickly when work on hip swivels.  I've tried following all the advice I can find but I'm pretty sure I've made no actual progress in at least the last two years.  If there's anything else I can work on that will help (I also feel I have very tight adductors - and can't lean forward very far at all in a pancake) I would really appreciate the advice.

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

Hi Alex, I'm in a similar situation, been working on hip swivels for years now but can't seem to make any more progress.  Doing it as per the SPL progressions I can maybe get my left knee (the worst one) within maybe 3-4 inches of the floor.  If I do the test demonstrated above I have very little internal rotation.  I do find that my hips seem to get tender very quickly when work on hip swivels.  I've tried following all the advice I can find but I'm pretty sure I've made no actual progress in at least the last two years.  If there's anything else I can work on that will help (I also feel I have very tight adductors - and can't lean forward very far at all in a pancake) I would really appreciate the advice.

Hi David have you tried to do also the internal rotation with the aid of the hand that pushes the knees inward?

David Pardy 340028
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi David have you tried to do also the internal rotation with the aid of the hand that pushes the knees inward?

Hi Alex, yes I've done that a fair bit.  Is that something I should be doing every day, or just as a warm up/cool down after the SPL training?

Bill Marr

Hey David: I do swivel hips every day as part of my daily limber (15 reps per side). I've always had hip issues and has helped immensely. Since I started doing this a few years ago, my range of motion is easily floor to floor with my knees. Also a prerequisite for me before running or playing soccer.

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

Hi Alex, yes I've done that a fair bit.  Is that something I should be doing every day, or just as a warm up/cool down after the SPL training?

bill is a good example.....daily work is the way to defeat bad habits!! posture....tightness are bad habits!

David Pardy 340028

Thanks Bill and Alex, if I need to do it daily then that's what I'll do!  I have a few very weird postural issues (had really bad APT from when I was a child and took until I was in my late 20s to understand that it was fixable).  So I'll treat all the 'weird' tightnesses the same way with a bit of daily treatment to help.  Appreciate the advice!

Adam Rosner 365999
On 7/7/2022 at 3:07 AM, David Pardy 340028 said:

Thanks Bill and Alex, if I need to do it daily then that's what I'll do!  I have a few very weird postural issues (had really bad APT from when I was a child and took until I was in my late 20s to understand that it was fixable).  So I'll treat all the 'weird' tightnesses the same way with a bit of daily treatment to help.  Appreciate the advice!

I happen to know David here is a killer drummer. I too have many odd imbalanced from hours and hours on the kit playing with an asymmetrical grip (traditional grip, google Virgil Donati for a reference and to have your minds blown). Now they we are old we have to pay the price! Haha