This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A2 HBP - can I do ring pushups?

Started by Michael Schwartz Schwartz, June 1, 2022 · 1 Replies · 77 Views

Michael Schwartz Schwartz

Is it advised for any reason not to do push ups on rings? I've been doing ring push ups for a while but am starting at the beginning of the program because though my strength is ok, my mobility is... limited. (I'm skipping A1).

Also, can I keep doing pushups even after I 'graduate out' of push ups - as a surfer, the pushup is a key movement pattern for catching waves and I'd prefer to keep training that movement pattern even once I'm on to what looks like many months of dips (I'll have lots of questions on those - even after a lot of work my shoulders are pretty tight with my arms behind).

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Michael Schwartz Schwartz said:

Is it advised for any reason not to do push ups on rings? I've been doing ring push ups for a while but am starting at the beginning of the program because though my strength is ok, my mobility is... limited. (I'm skipping A1).

Also, can I keep doing pushups even after I 'graduate out' of push ups - as a surfer, the pushup is a key movement pattern for catching waves and I'd prefer to keep training that movement pattern even once I'm on to what looks like many months of dips (I'll have lots of questions on those - even after a lot of work my shoulders are pretty tight with my arms behind).

Hi Michael, the main reason is that the unstable support requires more strength ,more shoulder girdle stabilization(that means also scapualar control) and a good shoulder cinematic.

in case of poor mobility the cinematic is usually altered. this means that the effort is not absorbed and exerted properly on the correct "strenght binaries".

If you cannot show proper scapular control on stable surface there is no reason to move into unstable.