This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tight hamstrings

Started by Iain Williamson, May 9, 2022 · 19 Replies · 174 Views

Iain Williamson

Hi

I have attempted all the week one workouts, but I can't get into the pike or straddle positions because of very tight hamstrings.  As you can see no amount of blocks would be enough, not even sitting on the edge of my bed is enough to get my lower back perpendicular to the ground with straight legs. When I looked at workout 6 (frog and stiff bear) I can't get into the stiff bear position at all. It's not possible to keep both my legs straight and my arms straight out from my back.

So I am wondering how to proceed from here?

pike.jpg

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Iain Williamson said:

Hi

I have attempted all the week one workouts, but I can't get into the pike or straddle positions because of very tight hamstrings.  As you can see no amount of blocks would be enough, not even sitting on the edge of my bed is enough to get my lower back perpendicular to the ground with straight legs. When I looked at workout 6 (frog and stiff bear) I can't get into the stiff bear position at all. It's not possible to keep both my legs straight and my arms straight out from my back.

So I am wondering how to proceed from here?

pike.jpg

Hey Iain, well i think that your primary goagl should be work with the restore series especially hamstring, hips and thoracic.

the main problem is that you must reach a minimal mobility situation that allows for greater intensity.

Iain Williamson

What is a realistic timeframe to make progress on hamstring flexibility?

Alessandro Mainente
34 minutes ago, Iain Williamson said:

What is a realistic timeframe to make progress on hamstring flexibility?

there is not a time milestone...if your tightness is more into the fascia or belly muscles less time is required. if it is in the hips capsule it requires more time. if you have a daily work routine where you stay at the desk 7-8 hours it will take even more time.

Iain Williamson

Is it possible that some people just can't improve their mobility? I don't think there has been any effect at all.

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Iain Williamson said:

Is it possible that some people just can't improve their mobility? I don't think there has been any effect at all.

 

it is very very rare. there are 2 special cases:

- the problem is the joint capsule....it requires months if not years. common on hips and spine.

- the problem is structural...means that your bones have a specific growth pattern that makes range of motion limited...no matter how mauch stretching you do. specifically on thoracic spine , elbows and hips. they can be diagnosed with X-ray or some specific test.

in 10 years of coaching i had students with problem number 2 especially for thoracic spine. they will never do bridge for example.

Iain Williamson

Sorry to keep complaining but I am getting nowhere with my hamstrings. Each time I feel a very strong stretch in the back of my legs but the range of motion never changes. Not even one extra degree of movement after nearly a year of regular stretching. I don't really think it is a joint problem. If I bend my knee then I can bring my knee close to my chest, but not with a straighter leg. The day after stretching my hamstrings are often a little sore/stiff.

I had a hip x-ray several years ago regarding a different problem but nothing abnormal was reported.

I know that I have poor thoracic mobility due to a crushed vertebra, obviously there is nothing I can do about that other than try to work with what I have.

Iain Williamson

Sorry for being a pest but I guess at this point that I am just wondering if there is any real chance of improving and if there is anything more that would help?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Iain, can i ask you to do 2 tests?

fisrst one: 

   that should be performed back to wall

second test: 

please post video execution ( the second one should be done without arms assistance).

 

 

Iain Williamson

Hi, I have tried to upload the videos. Thank you

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Iain Williamson said:

Hi, I have tried to upload the videos. Thank you

 

in the frist test: heels closer to the hips as much as possible with all the back touching the wall especially the lower back.

second test: raise the legs with knee locked out.

Iain Williamson

OK, I have tried again. Very hard to get my lower back touching the wall in the first one but I tried. Also I moved my knees up and down as much as I could.

 

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Iain Williamson said:

OK, I have tried again. Very hard to get my lower back touching the wall in the first one but I tried. Also I moved my knees up and down as much as I could.

 

Have you tried also the restore series?  do you have access to the stretch series?

personally i think that a daiky focus on the lyign version useing the edge of a door is a must for you. also i think that the main limitations for you are located at the hips this is why in the first exercise you cannot maintain the lower back to the wall..

Iain Williamson

Thank you. I have been doing all the restore series videos 2-3x/week for about 7 weeks. Before that I concentrated mostly on hamstrings for a long time and tried to do some other stuff. I think I have access to all the videos but have not really tried anything else.

How should the door stretch be done? Time/sets?

Alessandro Mainente

sets of 2'' each side.s trive to pull the upper part of the femur down to the floor...do not let the hips to rotate...the try agian the seated pike after 3'' on each side and post here the results.

Iain Williamson

Photo on 16-4-2023 at 3.40 pm #2.jpg

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Iain Williamson said:

Photo on 16-4-2023 at 3.40 pm #2.jpg

i think that compared to the first of the pic there is an enormous improvement.

Iain Williamson

Just a question. Do the restore videos you have mentioned train all the needed mobility for the early foundation elements? (Such as hip swivels). I don't really want to spend another 3 years getting to a 90º hip bend, and find that it was a waste of time because I still can't do all the exercises.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Iain Williamson said:

Just a question. Do the restore videos you have mentioned train all the needed mobility for the early foundation elements? (Such as hip swivels). I don't really want to spend another 3 years getting to a 90º hip bend, and find that it was a waste of time because I still can't do all the exercises.

After some beginning elements the foundations elements has more active work for the hips...

If you feel that you are spending a lot of time on an exercise probably it is beacuse the tension are too deep are literally requires years...like the bridge for the front lever progression. THe restore gives benefit but at certain point the stretch courses are better. unfortunately i cannot say WHERE you have deeper tension. usually spine and hips have more of them...

Iain Williamson

I have not been doing the exercises as you said this should be my priority.