This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A11 - Russian Dip

Started by Huy Lui, May 2, 2022 · 19 Replies · 181 Views

Huy Lui

Since I can do tiger push up, I think this one should not be that hard. Nope; I was wrong haha. Can’t even push back up :((

Coaches, please give me some advices on this movement!!

Here is my 1st attempt video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/iebcV6fIFQw?feature=share

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Since I can do tiger push up, I think this one should not be that hard. Nope; I was wrong haha. Can’t even push back up :((

Coaches, please give me some advices on this movement!!

Here is my 1st attempt video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/iebcV6fIFQw?feature=share

hey Huy...some corrections are needed. first of all you must correct the bottom position.there is no second part of the movement without a proper upper arm position.

from a front view:

- shoulders are higher than elbows and hands, elbows are lower than hands and shoulders, hands are in the middle;

from a side view:

- elbows are exactly under the shoulders.

Huy Lui
On 5/3/2022 at 5:24 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

hey Huy...some corrections are needed. first of all you must correct the bottom position.there is no second part of the movement without a proper upper arm position.

from a front view:

- shoulders are higher than elbows and hands, elbows are lower than hands and shoulders, hands are in the middle;

from a side view:

- elbows are exactly under the shoulders.

Hi coach,

I still struggle with this movement. When I try to lower to bottom; my traps tend to shrug a bit. How can I fix this?

sometime when I get to bottom position right; I still unable to shift myself forward and up.

Here is my recent attempt: 

https://youtube.com/shorts/6vXQYRR6Q7w?feature=share

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Hi coach,

I still struggle with this movement. When I try to lower to bottom; my traps tend to shrug a bit. How can I fix this?

sometime when I get to bottom position right; I still unable to shift myself forward and up.

Here is my recent attempt: 

https://youtube.com/shorts/6vXQYRR6Q7w?feature=share

You must reduce the intensity. a solution is to use a box where you can put your heels so that a portion of your body is scaled down. until the upper arm support has no depression i do not suggest to reverse the movement.

Huy Lui
On 5/10/2022 at 1:46 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

You must reduce the intensity. a solution is to use a box where you can put your heels so that a portion of your body is scaled down. until the upper arm support has no depression i do not suggest to reverse the movement.

Hi Coaches,

is it correct way to reduce intensity and practice this move? 
 

https://youtube.com/shorts/m7R_HN4GXMo?feature=share

 

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Hi Coaches,

is it correct way to reduce intensity and practice this move? 
 

https://youtube.com/shorts/m7R_HN4GXMo?feature=share

 

Thank you!

it is difficult to judge...i need a better view....possible camera the same height of the pbar.

Huy Lui
On 5/23/2022 at 5:30 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

it is difficult to judge...i need a better view....possible camera the same height of the pbar.

https://youtube.com/shorts/GTxAbdP2dYY?feature=share

Hi coach,

Please see the link below. 

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

https://youtube.com/shorts/GTxAbdP2dYY?feature=share

Hi coach,

Please see the link below. 

nicely done...if you find 5x5 easy then try 5x5 with 1'' rest at the bottom before moving on..you will find the next L variation easier after that...

Huy Lui
5 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

nicely done...if you find 5x5 easy then try 5x5 with 1'' rest at the bottom before moving on..you will find the next L variation easier after that...

Hi coach,

Please notice my feet are touch the floor to reduce resistance and I am not able to do complete Russian Dip yet. 
 

Everytime I attempt with feet off the floor. I find it hard to pull myself forward.

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Hi coach,

Please notice my feet are touch the floor to reduce resistance and I am not able to do complete Russian Dip yet. 
 

Everytime I attempt with feet off the floor. I find it hard to pull myself forward.

try it without feet and show me how it goes..

Awais Muzaffar

When I was learning this, I used a band for a couple of sessions.

Huy Lui
On 5/27/2022 at 3:29 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:

When I was learning this, I used a band for a couple of sessions.

Where do you out your band to assist on the way up? 

Alessandro Mainente

For the russian dip i prefer hips squared and bands under the glutes.

Huy Lui
11 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

For the russian dip i prefer hips squared and bands under the glutes.

So basically it like L sit version but with knee bend and bands under glute?

Alessandro Mainente
4 minutes ago, Huy Lui said:

So basically it like L sit version but with knee bend and bands under glute?

yes..the band helps on keeping the upepr leg at 90° so it is not an active hold.

Huy Lui
1 minute ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

yes..the band helps on keeping the upepr leg at 90° so it is not an active hold.

Thanks coach. I will give it a go this Thursday. 

Huy Lui
On 5/31/2022 at 5:43 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

yes..the band helps on keeping the upepr leg at 90° so it is not an active hold.

Hi coach,

Here is my attempt with band. Please check my form. 
 

https://youtube.com/shorts/i8_DAkX6qkI?feature=share

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Hi coach,

Here is my attempt with band. Please check my form. 
 

https://youtube.com/shorts/i8_DAkX6qkI?feature=share

Hi Huy, the main mistake here is the speed. you are trying to rush into the upper arm support without thinking about the quality of the upper arm positio and in fact you are reaching a wrong bottom position where the shoulder is not stacked over the elbow. see the pic below.the green dot represents where i want to see the shoulder.

russian.png