This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting out from scratch, A few questions.

Started by Richard Huizenga, May 1, 2022 · 3 Replies · 73 Views

Richard Huizenga

So I am just starting out with the Beginner series.  I am switching up from heavy powerlifting and never trained gymnastics at all so it's all pretty new to me and I just wanted to make sure I understand the lay of the land here.  

 

1. If I understand this correctly. Each of the courses, beginner, and then foundations are sequential.  So I do the daily workout in order and keep going to the next one so long as I master each day's work correct?  Once I am done with Beginner, I switch up to doing Foundation 1 and so on and so forth correct?  So this will take a couple of years probably, but I just keep going to the next workout in order to lay all the groundwork and eventually I get to do all that cool stuff down the road? 

2. The beginner stuff is pretty tough for me (my mobility is about as bad as you probably imagine it is) but it isn't that much volume compared to what I am used to doing (squads, deadlifts, press, etc)  Is there some rule of thumb as far as adding extra work goes?  For instance with lifting the usual rule is to not add extra work in because it consumes some of your recovery potential.  Is this really an issue with the beginner series or are there other things I could work on simultaneously?

3. Since this process takes a fair bit of time, what is the usual way that people transition to it from other things?  For instance would it be best to keep lifting and incorporate GST or focus entirely on it?  I don't want to keep working on lifting or other stuff that only makes some problems worse to solve later (my shoulders and hips need a lot of work), but then again I also would like to stay active as much as possible.  

 

Thanks! 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Richard Huizenga said:

So I am just starting out with the Beginner series.  I am switching up from heavy powerlifting and never trained gymnastics at all so it's all pretty new to me and I just wanted to make sure I understand the lay of the land here.  

 

1. If I understand this correctly. Each of the courses, beginner, and then foundations are sequential.  So I do the daily workout in order and keep going to the next one so long as I master each day's work correct?  Once I am done with Beginner, I switch up to doing Foundation 1 and so on and so forth correct?  So this will take a couple of years probably, but I just keep going to the next workout in order to lay all the groundwork and eventually I get to do all that cool stuff down the road? 

2. The beginner stuff is pretty tough for me (my mobility is about as bad as you probably imagine it is) but it isn't that much volume compared to what I am used to doing (squads, deadlifts, press, etc)  Is there some rule of thumb as far as adding extra work goes?  For instance with lifting the usual rule is to not add extra work in because it consumes some of your recovery potential.  Is this really an issue with the beginner series or are there other things I could work on simultaneously?

3. Since this process takes a fair bit of time, what is the usual way that people transition to it from other things?  For instance would it be best to keep lifting and incorporate GST or focus entirely on it?  I don't want to keep working on lifting or other stuff that only makes some problems worse to solve later (my shoulders and hips need a lot of work), but then again I also would like to stay active as much as possible.  

 

Thanks! 

Hi Richard, i'll try to be exhaustive:

1. yes takes...the time it needs. i do GST since 2008 and in the last 5 years i started to incorporate benchpress , squat and deadlidft. GST has major and hihger requirements in terms of mobiltity, coordination etc i would say that every avanced-intermediate exercise as the same complexity of a benchpress plus the fact that the bench is not supporting you during handstand pushup. the main purposes of a beginner shuold be recover the range of movement, then basica alignment , then push harder;

2. my suggestion is at the beginning doing less but doing it in the good way. only when technique is good you an add an extra day or extra repetition etc. the amount of volume tht can be done depends on the deficit. i mean for example that if in your ideas there is "training handstand" then shoulder mobility should get fixed as soon as possible;

3.as stated in point 1. i have a mixed protocol that lasts for the 80% on GST, if you pass from zero mobility to 10% mobility you re going to improve als if you maintain your barbell work. pay attention that increase the mobility can affect the squat and the bench in terms of technique because the point where you feel that you are stacked can be changed.

Richard Huizenga

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!  

One other question: how do off days usually work with this type of training?  Is there a typical interval to take rest days, or a common weekly split people use?  

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Richard Huizenga said:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!  

One other question: how do off days usually work with this type of training?  Is there a typical interval to take rest days, or a common weekly split people use?  

Usually more advanced programming has 2-3 of work and one day of rest in between. or 2 days....off....2days..