This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A9 Korean Dip

Started by Huy Lui, March 24, 2022 · 13 Replies · 99 Views

Huy Lui

Hi guys,

I really need help with this exercise. Crazy difficulty. 
 

First trial, not able to do negative. So I start to squeeze at bottom position and able to do about 5 seconds

Second time, I able to start from top to mid back without falling forward BUT can’t lift myself up because my butt is stuck at the bar.

Here is video (first attempt only)

https://youtube.com/shorts/e7S0zURDqCY?feature=share

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Huy Lui said:

Hi guys,

I really need help with this exercise. Crazy difficulty. 
 

First trial, not able to do negative. So I start to squeeze at bottom position and able to do about 5 seconds

Second time, I able to start from top to mid back without falling forward BUT can’t lift myself up because my butt is stuck at the bar.

Here is video (first attempt only)

https://youtube.com/shorts/e7S0zURDqCY?feature=share

The main focus on the negative should be pulling yourself until the butt passes over the bar and holding the position with the bicep and pec and shoulder.

when you need to reverse the movement you must push at 45°  (using the momentum) so that the butt moves in front of the bar... then you begin to perform the vertical dip.

Huy Lui
On 3/24/2022 at 7:53 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The main focus on the negative should be pulling yourself until the butt passes over the bar and holding the position with the bicep and pec and shoulder.

when you need to reverse the movement you must push at 45°  (using the momentum) so that the butt moves in front of the bar... then you begin to perform the vertical dip.

Hi Alessandro,

I tried to descend a bit faster in order to push myself up. However I still stuck half way up. How can I push my hip forward more to create more space for my bum to pass the bar? 
 

Here is my latest attempt

https://youtube.com/shorts/CFXP0jyl6sk?feature=share

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Huy Lui said:

Hi Alessandro,

I tried to descend a bit faster in order to push myself up. However I still stuck half way up. How can I push my hip forward more to create more space for my bum to pass the bar? 
 

Here is my latest attempt

https://youtube.com/shorts/CFXP0jyl6sk?feature=share

try to reach a bit lower... i mean reaching a horizontal position..when you feel the momentum in the second part of the movement strive to push forward and the upward.

Huy Lui
On 4/3/2022 at 8:00 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

try to reach a bit lower... i mean reaching a horizontal position..when you feel the momentum in the second part of the movement strive to push forward and the upward.

Hi Alessandro,

Today I attempt this exercise again. I try to go lower and feel more stretch on shoulder. I don’t know how low should I aim for. 

Also, Should my back close to the bar or further away in the second part?

And I don’t quite get what you mean by push forward. Can I learn this by hanging at the bottom and try to push my body further from the bar? 

 

Duncan Lally

Following with interest am stuck too!

Duncan Lally
On 3/24/2022 at 9:53 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The main focus on the negative should be pulling yourself until the butt passes over the bar and holding the position with the bicep and pec and shoulder.

when you need to reverse the movement you must push at 45°  (using the momentum) so that the butt moves in front of the bar... then you begin to perform the vertical dip.

Paragraph 1…pushing or pulling?

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Duncan Lally said:

Paragraph 1…pushing or pulling?

in the negative you pull yourself down you do not have to fall forward...in the ascending part is pushing for the shoulders and a pulling for the bicep.

Huy Lui
On 4/5/2022 at 5:04 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

in the negative you pull yourself down you do not have to fall forward...in the ascending part is pushing for the shoulders and a pulling for the bicep.

Hi Alessandro,

Beginning of my workout I did overhand grip and there is no way I understand what you mean by pushing shoulder and pulling bicep. 
 

HOWEVER, after I switch to underhand grip, I can do 1 full rep. I might practice with underhand until I master the movement then moving back to overhand grip. 

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Hi Alessandro,

Beginning of my workout I did overhand grip and there is no way I understand what you mean by pushing shoulder and pulling bicep. 
 

HOWEVER, after I switch to underhand grip, I can do 1 full rep. I might practice with underhand until I master the movement then moving back to overhand grip. 

if you do not engage properly the bicep there is no way to resist the tendency to fall forward. the main goal is let your butt to pass under the bar. since you do ot have to fall in the front the main cue should be slowly pull yourself under the bar opening your chest.

Huy Lui
On 4/8/2022 at 4:53 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

if you do not engage properly the bicep there is no way to resist the tendency to fall forward. the main goal is let your butt to pass under the bar. since you do ot have to fall in the front the main cue should be slowly pull yourself under the bar opening your chest.

Hello,

Please check my attempt: https://youtube.com/shorts/N8r4PuQU6NU?feature=share

Alessandro Mainente
On 4/10/2022 at 1:23 PM, Huy Lui said:

Hello,

Please check my attempt: https://youtube.com/shorts/N8r4PuQU6NU?feature=share

not bad...there is a common mistake that is bending at the knees, if you bend the knees you flex the hips, the butt moves backward and you have low chances to pass over the bar.

Huy Lui
On 4/11/2022 at 9:24 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

not bad...there is a common mistake that is bending at the knees, if you bend the knees you flex the hips, the butt moves backward and you have low chances to pass over the bar.

Hi Alessandro,

I feel more confident when doing Korean dip now. Please check my form, thank you!

https://youtube.com/shorts/tsrUacEjGvY?feature=share