This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Finally got an annual subscription! Looking for advice (long post, sorry!)

Started by David Pardy 340028, March 21, 2022 · 7 Replies · 114 Views

David Pardy 340028

Hi all,

I purchased Foundation 1 & Handstand a few years back and have been working on it.  Recently realised that I have habitually been overtraining - I can do 1-2 weeks of dedicated training but then I'm burnt out and my recovery is slow.  So I've halved my current reps/weight levels on the Foundation and Handstand work.

Here is my current weekly system (based around availability of equipment and trying to separate body groups each workout):

Monday:
HBP PE2 - was able to achieve 15,15,15,15,12 with full mobility at 3kg, but then I can't do it again for two weeks.  Have switch to 5x7 + 2kg
SLS PE5 - mobility is as visible on form check.  Now on 5x7 with 5x6 for mobility
Front splits work (up until recently been following stuff on Youtube, I'm switching to Restore Hamstrings and Quads for now to reduce intensity and volume)

Tuesday: Rest (martial arts class in the evening)

Wednesday:
FL PE2 - was trying to keep volume up after progressing from PE1.  Had 60x rocks, then around 24-30 rocks, and then the last three rounds 60 second static holds.  Mobility was leaving me pretty sore but I had good range of motion.  Was planning to move to step 4 (24 reps, 4 rounds)
Run - usually around 2.4km as I'm just getting back into it.  This has been leaving me sore for days.

Thursday:
HS1: Wrist pushups completed, 4x4 first knuckle walks, wrist rocks completed, trying to ease into 3x2 Fingertip Pushups.  60x5 on PE2, held back by shoulder extension for about 3 years now.
Middle Splits (Previously following Youtube stuff, now switching to Restore Hips, Ankles & knees)

Friday: Rest

Saturday: (haven't trained Saturdays for a few weeks now due to burnout)
SPL PE1 - Struggling with the mobility ever since I started Foundation 1.  Have been up and down with the PE due to shoulder and elbow issues (overall it has steadily improved)
SL PE4 - Have plateaued for months, I think due to my other mobility and strength deficits.

Sunday: (Did my first Sunday session yesterday as the 'start' of my regression, went well)
MN PE2:  Was up to 5x15, have gone back to 5x7 Straddle-ups.  Was up to over 30kg with the mobility but I've dropped back to 16kg as I want to focus on improving ROM.
RC PE1:  Was up to 5x15, plateaued a bit.  I have previously graduated to PE2 but regressed to increase volume and change it into a gradually progression to PE2 (i.e., lowering the rings).  Regressed to 5x7
Pancake work (again, following Youtube)

 

I would like to maintain my Foundation skills, but I need to keep volume relatively low as it seems my recovery has been slow for a while and I burn out quickly - which is frustrating as I feel like I should be capable of more.  But I would like to ensure I'm addressing my mobility deficits and other issues that are preventing me progressing.

Due to availability of equipment my Foundation exercises can't really change their position in the week for now, but eventually I'll be going back to an 8-day work week which will give me more flexibility, and I found an 8 day cycle works quite better for me with regards to recovery.

Here are the deficits which I'm conscious of:
Poor hip internal rotation.
Piriformis needs serious work
'Gluteal Amnesia' (Restore Quads looks like it will help address this)
Shoulder extension (has improved but could be better).  Right shoulder has had rotator cuff issues which have steadily improved over the last few years
Lifelong APT, and non-existent PPT prior to trying to fix the problem starting in 2012.  Glute issues are definitely related to this.

Any advice on how to inject the beginner courses into my routine are most welcome!  I was also going to add the 7-minute Warm Up, and the Daily Limber if it is appropriate for my level of mobility.  I still need to check out a lot of the courses available.

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

Hi all,

I purchased Foundation 1 & Handstand a few years back and have been working on it.  Recently realised that I have habitually been overtraining - I can do 1-2 weeks of dedicated training but then I'm burnt out and my recovery is slow.  So I've halved my current reps/weight levels on the Foundation and Handstand work.

Here is my current weekly system (based around availability of equipment and trying to separate body groups each workout):

Monday:
HBP PE2 - was able to achieve 15,15,15,15,12 with full mobility at 3kg, but then I can't do it again for two weeks.  Have switch to 5x7 + 2kg
SLS PE5 - mobility is as visible on form check.  Now on 5x7 with 5x6 for mobility
Front splits work (up until recently been following stuff on Youtube, I'm switching to Restore Hamstrings and Quads for now to reduce intensity and volume)

Tuesday: Rest (martial arts class in the evening)

Wednesday:
FL PE2 - was trying to keep volume up after progressing from PE1.  Had 60x rocks, then around 24-30 rocks, and then the last three rounds 60 second static holds.  Mobility was leaving me pretty sore but I had good range of motion.  Was planning to move to step 4 (24 reps, 4 rounds)
Run - usually around 2.4km as I'm just getting back into it.  This has been leaving me sore for days.

Thursday:
HS1: Wrist pushups completed, 4x4 first knuckle walks, wrist rocks completed, trying to ease into 3x2 Fingertip Pushups.  60x5 on PE2, held back by shoulder extension for about 3 years now.
Middle Splits (Previously following Youtube stuff, now switching to Restore Hips, Ankles & knees)

Friday: Rest

Saturday: (haven't trained Saturdays for a few weeks now due to burnout)
SPL PE1 - Struggling with the mobility ever since I started Foundation 1.  Have been up and down with the PE due to shoulder and elbow issues (overall it has steadily improved)
SL PE4 - Have plateaued for months, I think due to my other mobility and strength deficits.

Sunday: (Did my first Sunday session yesterday as the 'start' of my regression, went well)
MN PE2:  Was up to 5x15, have gone back to 5x7 Straddle-ups.  Was up to over 30kg with the mobility but I've dropped back to 16kg as I want to focus on improving ROM.
RC PE1:  Was up to 5x15, plateaued a bit.  I have previously graduated to PE2 but regressed to increase volume and change it into a gradually progression to PE2 (i.e., lowering the rings).  Regressed to 5x7
Pancake work (again, following Youtube)

 

I would like to maintain my Foundation skills, but I need to keep volume relatively low as it seems my recovery has been slow for a while and I burn out quickly - which is frustrating as I feel like I should be capable of more.  But I would like to ensure I'm addressing my mobility deficits and other issues that are preventing me progressing.

Due to availability of equipment my Foundation exercises can't really change their position in the week for now, but eventually I'll be going back to an 8-day work week which will give me more flexibility, and I found an 8 day cycle works quite better for me with regards to recovery.

Here are the deficits which I'm conscious of:
Poor hip internal rotation.
Piriformis needs serious work
'Gluteal Amnesia' (Restore Quads looks like it will help address this)
Shoulder extension (has improved but could be better).  Right shoulder has had rotator cuff issues which have steadily improved over the last few years
Lifelong APT, and non-existent PPT prior to trying to fix the problem starting in 2012.  Glute issues are definitely related to this.

Any advice on how to inject the beginner courses into my routine are most welcome!  I was also going to add the 7-minute Warm Up, and the Daily Limber if it is appropriate for my level of mobility.  I still need to check out a lot of the courses available.

Hi David, can you please post a max rep attempt of your pushup?

David Pardy 340028

Here you go:

 

 

David Pardy 340028

Hi Alex, I'm looking through both the Beginner and Intermediate 1 Guided Plans.  I am going to make notes in my spreadsheet and try to combine my existing schedule (which unfortunately I can't 'program' into the build your own work out as it requires splitting up the Foundation days), with a BYO workout day that incorporates the mobility work etc., from the Beginner plan, along with the mobility work from the Intermediate level, excluding the Stretch series which is too advanced for me for now.

Alessandro Mainente
On 3/21/2022 at 9:14 AM, David Pardy 340028 said:

Here you go:

 

 

have you ever posted a form of your pushup before now?

David Pardy 340028
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

have you ever posted a form of your pushup before now?

 

Yes, but it would have been a few years ago.  I've tried to remember the main things (strong protraction and depression, PPT, etc.) and I've watched other people's form checks.

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

 

Yes, but it would have been a few years ago.  I've tried to remember the main things (strong protraction and depression, PPT, etc.) and I've watched other people's form checks.

ok....in your case you are losing too much depression on both the negative and positive parts, in the long term this will lead to the use of other muscles compared to the shoulder and chest, muscles that are not suited for moving high weight. to see what i mean you need to reduce the speed of the video down to 0.25x and look at the rep around 26'', here is pretty visible.

David Pardy 340028
12 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

ok....in your case you are losing too much depression on both the negative and positive parts, in the long term this will lead to the use of other muscles compared to the shoulder and chest, muscles that are not suited for moving high weight. to see what i mean you need to reduce the speed of the video down to 0.25x and look at the rep around 26'', here is pretty visible.

Thanks Alex, I see what you mean.  I am conscious of it but clearly need to work harder on it.