This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Advice for improving ROM in jefferson curl?

Started by David Pardy 340028, February 22, 2022 · 4 Replies · 88 Views

David Pardy 340028

I think there are a combination of mobility issues that I'm addressing at the moment, but specifically in regards to the JC:

I'm currently doing them at about 33kg (about 43% of my current bodyweight, I'm also a bit overweight right now).  I can do them comfortably with this, but I'm also wondering if I should reduce the weight and spend more time in the bottom position to improve my range of motion?

I'm also currently working on some severe hip flexor strength and mobility deficits which I believe are a big limiting factor in my current pike flexibility.  I still have quite poor pancake and butterfly, which I believe are also indicators of the same mobility flaws associated with the pike.  Would glute amnesia also contribute to the same issues?  I have been a chair-jockey for most of my adult life despite otherwise trying to be quite active, but even as a child I had excessive APT which I believe made a huge contribution to hip mobility problems and back problems starting as a teenager.  I only started understanding the problem around the age of 27 so have spent the last 10 years or so trying to address it.

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

I think there are a combination of mobility issues that I'm addressing at the moment, but specifically in regards to the JC:

I'm currently doing them at about 33kg (about 43% of my current bodyweight, I'm also a bit overweight right now).  I can do them comfortably with this, but I'm also wondering if I should reduce the weight and spend more time in the bottom position to improve my range of motion?

I'm also currently working on some severe hip flexor strength and mobility deficits which I believe are a big limiting factor in my current pike flexibility.  I still have quite poor pancake and butterfly, which I believe are also indicators of the same mobility flaws associated with the pike.  Would glute amnesia also contribute to the same issues?  I have been a chair-jockey for most of my adult life despite otherwise trying to be quite active, but even as a child I had excessive APT which I believe made a huge contribution to hip mobility problems and back problems starting as a teenager.  I only started understanding the problem around the age of 27 so have spent the last 10 years or so trying to address it.

Hi David, can you post a side view of your pike? and maybe a butterfly performed with the back to the wall?

David Pardy 340028

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente

hi David, well as i was expecting the main problem is hips...i suggest some daily work on piriformis of the middle split program.

David Pardy 340028
6 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

hi David, well as i was expecting the main problem is hips...i suggest some daily work on piriformis of the middle split program.

Thanks Alex, I will get onto this, probably should have been doing daily piriformis work for years to be honest.