This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pseudo Planche Pushups (HBP/PE3)

Started by Mohsin Ehsan, February 13, 2022 · 2 Replies · 106 Views

Mohsin Ehsan

Hi, I've started the F7 and HS progressions on alternate days. 

But I'm confused about the proper form for Pseudo Planche Pushups (PPP) for the HBP stream.

In GST Foundations, the form-video indicates hands at hip-level.

But in the Exercise Library's instructions, waist-level is acceptable:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/exercises/pseudo-planche-push-up/

I measured the distance from my head to my hips at around 79cm, but I can only manage 67cm (to waist.)

So should I aim to get hands lower (to hips) or proceed with waist-level?

In other words, are hip-level PPPs a better foundation for fully unlocking HBP and Planche skills at Level 4?

If yes, then should I add a progression between regular Pushups and PPPs, like Planche Leans?

 

 

p.s. Is this affected by a person's own center of gravity? e.g. right now I'm carrying some extra fat on the torso, which is probably moving my center of gravity to my waist (instead of the hips). So maybe, once my body/fat% improves, my hands will naturally move down to the hips?

 

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente
On 2/13/2022 at 7:05 AM, Mohsin Ehsan said:

Hi, I've started the F7 and HS progressions on alternate days. 

But I'm confused about the proper form for Pseudo Planche Pushups (PPP) for the HBP stream.

In GST Foundations, the form-video indicates hands at hip-level.

But in the Exercise Library's instructions, waist-level is acceptable:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/exercises/pseudo-planche-push-up/

I measured the distance from my head to my hips at around 79cm, but I can only manage 67cm (to waist.)

So should I aim to get hands lower (to hips) or proceed with waist-level?

In other words, are hip-level PPPs a better foundation for fully unlocking HBP and Planche skills at Level 4?

If yes, then should I add a progression between regular Pushups and PPPs, like Planche Leans?

 

 

p.s. Is this affected by a person's own center of gravity? e.g. right now I'm carrying some extra fat on the torso, which is probably moving my center of gravity to my waist (instead of the hips). So maybe, once my body/fat% improves, my hands will naturally move down to the hips?

 

Thanks

Hi Mohsin usually my reference is measured also using a strap on the trousers at belly button level o a little bit below to it and let it fall to the ground during the starting lean...when the straps disappear in between the hands you are in the correct position.

You are not forced to use directly the final level of lean but build it up gradually...you can begin with a lean that permits 5-6 reps, build up the 5x10r, and then begin again with more lean until it almost matches the GB requirements.

Mohsin Ehsan

Oh, that's a good idea, it will be a much better visual indicator. I can do reps at the belly button level already. I'll aim to gradually lean a bit more, a few centimeters below the belly button.

I'm still confused as to what the exact requirement is... but maybe that depends on a person's own center of gravity, which is a variable.

Thanks Alessandro

 

EDIT:  I just noticed that the Planche Lean is coming up in sPL/PE5. Now I get what's happening. First, basic shoulder strength is built up in HBP/PE3, and then ROM is extended in sPL/PE5. This shows why all the separate streams have to be mastered in order to build a complete foundation, as they all integrate together.