This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100621

Started by Coach Sommer, June 21, 2010 · 7 Replies · 1,580 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3x14 Weighted Killers

3x5 Natural GHR

3x60 seconds Archups

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) Killers are essentially a jumping lunge.

2) To perform Killers, first assume a right kneeling lunge position where the right foot is in front and flat on the ground with the right knee bent at approx. a 90-degree angle. The left leg will be behind with the left knee on the ground approximately 14-16†behind the heel of the right foot and the toes of the left leg curled under to aid in the coming jump. From this position, explode upward into the air as high as possible. At the top of the jump, switch the right leg backward and the left leg forward landing in the opposite lunge position. This constitutes one repetition. Continue for the prescribed number of repetitions.

3) Be careful to only allow the knee of the back leg to only lightly touch the ground. DO NOT bounce off of the ground with this knee or injury will result.

4) If possible, the Killers should be performed weighted by holding dumbbells at your sides. 20-40lb dumbbells should be sufficient for most people.

5) Use the minimum momentum necessary to complete the Natural GHR.

6) Do not pause during the 60 seconds of Archups.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes between sets.

Kyle Courville

Should I perform statics and HS before or after the WOD. Very very sorry if this has already been addressed.

Coach Sommer

Any additional static work should be performed as part of your warmup prior to beginning the GB WOD.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

John Sapinoso

"Perform the following" vs "complete x rounds"

Is the wording connotative of a different order in exercise?

3 x 14 killers completed before moving onto the next exercise vs alternating exercises for 3 rounds total?

Coach Sommer

Good observation. In this WOD each of the exercises should be completed for all three sets prior to moving on to the next exercise.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

Oops. I did them as rounds, 3m rest.

Were they supposed to be done with rest periods of 3-5 or 1-2 minutes?

Tried the natural GHR with a stall bar and swiss ball. On the 3rd set, I used a bigger ball as I thought it would allow me to get a greater ROM from where you are bent over your hips inverted to upright. It actually made it easier. 1st set was pretty weird, but by 2nd I had figured it out.

Used 2 DB of 41+lbs. I had pondered using a bar on my back but I figured it would make my right shoulder even tighter than it was (tweaked it during the Summer Gymnastics Show for a ring strength series on no WU).

John Sapinoso

Swiss ball is a great idea, i'll have to try that next time.

Blairbob

I was going to spend some more time Pre-WOD getting used to it but it only took one round to get used to.

I didn't just want to do assisted NLC nor did I have a spotter.

If I get some more swiss balls, smaller or perhaps those half balls used as stability tools; I could see this being a decent sub. The huge and medium ball I have are probably too big for most of the kids and many of the kids just don't have good enough balance to figure it out.

Unfortunately, many of our gymnasts, even our optional girls really cheat at this so the assisted NLC is more of just a drop to the deck and a pushup.

However, with big groups you can just spot each other. However, with little kids, this has mixed results as sometimes their size isn't equal. Once,