This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A2 Pushup (4x9r) Form Check

Started by Brandon Smith 289586, February 7, 2022 · 4 Replies · 56 Views

Brandon Smith 289586

Hello,

Requesting a form check for my pushups. The video linked below contains my last set of 9 reps. Would greatly appreciate your feedback! 

https://youtu.be/EKizqp7GINY

 

Thanks! 

Jeffrey Bittner

I recommend taking a few steps back and focusing on form. As you do your push ups, make sure that you are maintaining a strong posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) and that you completely protract your scapula at the top of each rep. You came closest to the correct position when adjusting your bodyline after the 4th rep. Also, remember to keep your feet together during your push ups.

Brandon Smith 289586
14 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

I recommend taking a few steps back and focusing on form. As you do your push ups, make sure that you are maintaining a strong posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) and that you completely protract your scapula at the top of each rep. You came closest to the correct position when adjusting your bodyline after the 4th rep. Also, remember to keep your feet together during your push ups.

Thank you Jeffery. I will take a couple of steps back during the next session and reevaluate. I'm glad you pointed out the adjustment on the 4th rep. Reviewing the video, that position I held momentarily, looked much better than the first few reps. 

Brandon Smith 289586
On 2/7/2022 at 11:22 PM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

I recommend taking a few steps back and focusing on form. As you do your push ups, make sure that you are maintaining a strong posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) and that you completely protract your scapula at the top of each rep. You came closest to the correct position when adjusting your bodyline after the 4th rep. Also, remember to keep your feet together during your push ups.

Hey Jeff,

Could you please take another look at my form? I'm struggling between two different positions, and I am not sure which is correct. In the first video below, I do 2 reps of what we'll call "form 1" and 2 reps of "form 2". In the first form, I'm focusing on protracting my shoulders and strongly contracting my legs and glutes to rotate the hips towards PPT. In the second form, I protract my shoulders again and I use more of my core to bring my body line into what I think would be more of a hollow body position with PPT. I'm not sure, which is correct. Maybe somewhere in between? Form 1 feels much more natural to me, but could because I'm just weaker in position 2. I would really appreciate your input. I want to get this right.

 

 

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Your first two reps were closer. In addition to your scapula and your glutes, you should also be engaging your core muscles to help keep your spine in alignment. On your set of 9 reps you lost protraction and PPT fairly quickly. Try to take a second at the top of each rep to reset your position until it becomes second nature.