This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular depression

Started by Rokas Grigaitis, February 3, 2022 · 1 Replies · 41 Views

Rokas Grigaitis

Hi all,

I know that in order to master upper body strength, one has to master scapular mobility/strength. I generally have no problem with protraction, retraction, elevation, however depression gives me some trouble. I always assumed that scapulae are already depressed in a neutral position, however I figured that it does not seem to be the case. Can anybody explain me some cues for depression? Is it just trying to push them down as hard as possible? And how to make sure to maintain it while doing pushing/pulling exercises?

 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Rokas Grigaitis said:

Hi all,

I know that in order to master upper body strength, one has to master scapular mobility/strength. I generally have no problem with protraction, retraction, elevation, however depression gives me some trouble. I always assumed that scapulae are already depressed in a neutral position, however I figured that it does not seem to be the case. Can anybody explain me some cues for depression? Is it just trying to push them down as hard as possible? And how to make sure to maintain it while doing pushing/pulling exercises?

 

Thanks!

Hi Rokas, the answer is that there is no answer. it's like asking how can i teach to a young baby how to not fall when he begins to walk? 

the answer is that once the motor schema is applied to an easy exercise you need to make the connection between external biomechanical cues (the movement of the depression) , visual cues (in the mirror i can see that the shoulders move away from the ears) and internal cues (what do i feel when i depress them in terms of activated muscles)?.

you begin by applying it to easier variation and then you build up more confidence by making the exercise harder NOT making the depression harder. you will reach a point where it becomes automatic.

in calisthenics the depression appears always in not physiologic condition for example in planche the depression vector is perpendicular to the force of gravity so you cannot use gravity as a reference to make the depression better and this is why is harder the depression in all the horizontal pushing movement. 

on the pulling one, the depression is easier because it appears to be parallel to the vector of the force of gravity...but it should be coordinated with the elbows..

different tasks in different conditions...what makes them easier is good habits!