Slow concentrics vs slow eccentrics

Started by Tupac Rojas, February 3, 2022 · 1 Replies · 2,330 Views

Tupac Rojas

Hello,

I just saw a video on Gymnasticbodies youtube channel where the gymnast was doing pushups with 1 second eccentric, 2 seconds pause at bottom and 3 seconds on the way up. He did the same principle on ring rows.

I always thought it is the eccentrics that can be made slower when manipulating tempo of a movement and that the concentric should always be explosive to recruit those fast twitch muscle fibers.

I am now wondering how it really works then and what is the benefit of slow concentrics as opposed to slow eccentrics?

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, Tupac Rojas said:

Hello,

I just saw a video on Gymnasticbodies youtube channel where the gymnast was doing pushups with 1 second eccentric, 2 seconds pause at bottom and 3 seconds on the way up. He did the same principle on ring rows.

I always thought it is the eccentrics that can be made slower when manipulating tempo of a movement and that the concentric should always be explosive to recruit those fast twitch muscle fibers.

I am now wondering how it really works then and what is the benefit of slow concentrics as opposed to slow eccentrics?

It depends on the goal of the moment. slowing down the speed can be a technique for improving muscles coordination and technique. i'm used to do slow concentric with some my clients who have asymmetrical pullups...3 seconds? yes also more. something 10''-