This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

B8 Pull Up

Started by Huy Lui, February 1, 2022 · 9 Replies · 70 Views

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Hi, 

When I do pull-up; I have difficult bring my chest to touch the bar. Should I retract scapula before pull? 
 

https://youtube.com/shorts/KCQMneM0_0g?feature=share

Hey Huy, the major suggestion is depressing the shoulder first (moving the shoulders away from the ears) with locked elbows, they begin to pull without losing depression.

Huy Lui
6 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Huy, the major suggestion is depressing the shoulder first (moving the shoulders away from the ears) with locked elbows, they begin to pull without losing depression.

Wow, that is a new key point I need to focus on.

I’ve been told to retract scapula before pull.

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Wow, that is a new key point I need to focus on.

I’ve been told to retract scapula before pull.

If you do not depress you have no chance to engage properly the lats. can i ask you if you have found that you need first to retract in this forum?

Huy Lui
7 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

If you do not depress you have no chance to engage properly the lats. can i ask you if you have found that you need first to retract in this forum?

Nope. I mean when I first start to get involve in bodyweight training and before GST. 
 

So depression is from passive hand to active hang?

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Nope. I mean when I first start to get involve in bodyweight training and before GST. 
 

So depression is from passive hand to active hang?

Yes, avoid retraction for now...trust me...

Huy Lui
On 2/4/2022 at 1:37 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Yes, avoid retraction for now...trust me...

Please check my form.

https://youtube.com/shorts/4yni_k9Op-Q?feature=share

Somehow this bar is way thicker than normal gym pull-up; so I am not able to pull past chin level. Should I go back to previous step until Im getting stronger at thicker bar? I don’t mind that. 
 

Thanks to your advice Alessandro about depressing scapula. I’m feeling of pull myself up easier. 
 

Moreover, is it better to add 1 regression to improve strength? For example; I work on current progression (pull-up) then later work on mastery level of (inverted row or hinge row). 

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Huy Lui said:

Please check my form.

https://youtube.com/shorts/4yni_k9Op-Q?feature=share

Somehow this bar is way thicker than normal gym pull-up; so I am not able to pull past chin level. Should I go back to previous step until Im getting stronger at thicker bar? I don’t mind that. 
 

Thanks to your advice Alessandro about depressing scapula. I’m feeling of pull myself up easier. 
 

Moreover, is it better to add 1 regression to improve strength? For example; I work on current progression (pull-up) then later work on mastery level of (inverted row or hinge row). 

consider that in order to pull higher you simply need to be stronger and stronger...

for the moment if you can do more than 3-4 rep in a row you do not need additional work. with my student i add work in case of low lean body mass...but it is not your case.

Huy Lui
On 2/8/2022 at 2:41 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

consider that in order to pull higher you simply need to be stronger and stronger...

for the moment if you can do more than 3-4 rep in a row you do not need additional work. with my student i add work in case of low lean body mass...but it is not your case.

Hello coach,

I’ve been working L-sit Chin Pull Up but forgot to form check Pull Up. Please give me some advice

 

https://youtube.com/shorts/83D6KO6SSgQ?feature=share