Physical Fitness Trainer Teaches PPU

Started by Seiji, June 19, 2010 · 12 Replies · 3,681 Views

Seiji

gkOlQgrpRno

I usually trust the website http://www.ehow.com, but of course, I can see when it's wrong about something. Basically, unless you already know about the subject, you shouldn't trust ehow as your only source. This is one of the reasons why.

Why do people do this? Honestly.

Neal Winkler

Here's another that's better, but still absolutely horrible.

Hayden Whealing

I bet the "Dance like like michael jackson. How to do planches like Michael Jackson" vid in the related section is just as bad

Razz

He might be certified in this and that but definately not gymnastics.. :lol:

Neal Winkler

From what I've heard from other people, ehow and expert village are horrible. They have no real quality control standards or criteria. So, it's not just gymnastics that these "experts" have no idea what they are talking about.

yuri marmerstein

Didn't know it was possible, but I hate personal trainers even more now

Seiji

Triangle, I love how the first thing I read in the description was "It isolates the triceps well"...

Hayden Whealing
yuri said:
Didn't know it was possible, but I hate personal trainers even more now

just out of curiosity, why do you hate personal trainers? (I don't know if I like them or don't like them)

Razz

If I may answer for Yuri one reason could be that many of them have taken some shitty 2 month certification and really really don't know their stuff and have no experience, yet they try to play experts and make 'good' programs for people. Just like what you see in the vid

yuri marmerstein

You couldn't have said it better, Razz

Personal trainers are just sleazy salesmen in gym shorts. Of course business is business and you have to be able to sell yourself, I am just not a fan.

Of course there are the few that actually know their shit and contribute something to the field...

but not enough of those

Hayden Whealing

Okay, well said :D

Nick Van Bockxmeer

personal trainers often come from the 'fitness industry' and as such have nothing to do with athletic related performance (for must of us we actually care about getting better at things even if we arent world class competitive athletes) and they perscribe all kinds of hippy shit that they think will get their 'clients' (read: middle aged housewives) 'fit', 'in shape' or even worse 'toned'. all kinds of useless crunch variations, aerobics moves and dumbell exercises with 1kg weights (the closest sports store to were i live doesnt sell higher thank 5kg dumbells...and actually sells 0.5kg dumbells, what can you possibly do that 0.5kg of resistance will cause adaptation?). oh and i didnt even mention swiss balls yet!

I wouldn't particularly care except when they get paid to teach stuff that likely isnt working. Its just wrong, when you can become a beast for next nothing. Fancy exercises and fancy equipment are no substitute for hard work.

to be honest, this guy seems nice enough. Its just that he's so wrong.

This brings me to another aspect of strength training that is currently prevalent: shunning

the difficult exercises and pushing to the limit. A good bit of this attitude has come about with the

emergence of so many people making lots of money doing personal training. I never saw a personal

trainer – and I observed a shitload of them in California – make a single one of his clients extend

themselves on any exercise. Few clients ever did enough to break into a sweat. I was training at John

Gourgott’s gym in Marin County one time and watched a personal trainer put an extremely healthy

female track athlete through a workout. He assisted her on every movement, even going so far as

helping her move a weight the last few inches on inclines and leg curls. He got more of a workout

than she did.

The real purpose in that field of endeavor is to make money, pure and simple. The last thing

most personal trainers want is to push their clients so hard that they sustain a ding. Or, Buddha

forbid, get sore. After being around a number of these trainers, I came to the conclusion that they’re

getting paid to be confidants or amateur psychologists to their clients, and getting in shape is merely

an excuse for being listened to in a gym.

taken from http://startingstrength.com/articles/ke ... _starr.pdf

Richard Duelley

Hey, I like my swissball. . . I use it for planche leans and PPU :wink: They are also fun to bounce off of or run full tilt into a buddy with or things like in this video :mrgreen: KWB48NUTPSA