This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New Member - Setting Up Foundation + Skills Guided Workout

Started by Mr David M Carlson, January 2, 2022 · 9 Replies · 242 Views

Mr David M Carlson

Hi All, 

I am new here and looking to get started with Foundation 1, Stretching and Handstands. 

I have been playing around with the platform and have found the content great, but the user interface less than intuitive in terms of programming, so I have a few questions...

 

1. How do I incorporate Handstands into the guided workout plans?

2. Where should I start within the progressions? 

- Note: Using Foundation 1, Hollow Back Press for example.. I can already do 5x5r on parallel bar dips, which is the starting point (step 1 of 9) for that progression.. However, I can't do "all" of the rep ranges for some of the earlier progressions (the higher ones with more reps). So on one hand I can see that I might need to do some more foundational work in order to keep up with the rep progressions (step 1 to 9) for parallel bar dips.. yet on the other hand, starting with 3x3r on incline pushups (the first step of the first progression) seems like I will probably lose strength as its a lot less than I have already been doing when I signed up here.. 

3. Should I do multiple progressions at once from whatever step (rep range) I am comfortable with now?

- i.e. Start with both push-ups AND parallel bar dips (for example) in the same workouts... and focus on the higher rep ranges for pushups (i.e. step 8 and 9) and start with the lower rep ranges (which are around my current abilities) for parallel bar dips (step 1).

4. If I want to increase/decrease the length and/or volume within my workouts, or add more movements/skills (such as handstands and rings to complete simultaneously with my foundations work), am I able to do this within guided workouts or do I need to create my own from scratch? If I have to create my own from scratch using the library of movements or the "build your own" function, how do I know which days to do what, which rep range to start with and whether or not I am doing enough to progress or at risk of overtraining?

5. How do I know when its time to progress from one "step" (within a progression) to the next, or one "progression" within a target movement?

 

Overall, I chose to join because I want to get some individualized programming so I can reach the target movements, develop my handstands and ring skills as efficiently as possible... as I have already been working on these things in a private gym but in a class based setting, and I wanted something more individualized. But so far the interface seems to be lacking in the ability to build customized plans that include foundations, handstands, rings and stretching where there is a clear progression for me (individually) to follow moving forward. 

 

It feels more like a library of content but the actual programming seems lacking, but I am hoping I'm just doing something wrong and that someone can help me out :)

 

Thanks a lot, I am really excited to begin this journey with GymFit and appreciate any suggestions! :)

Alessandro Mainente
On 1/2/2022 at 8:41 AM, Mr David M Carlson said:

Hi All, 

I am new here and looking to get started with Foundation 1, Stretching and Handstands. 

I have been playing around with the platform and have found the content great, but the user interface less than intuitive in terms of programming, so I have a few questions...

 

1. How do I incorporate Handstands into the guided workout plans?

2. Where should I start within the progressions? 

- Note: Using Foundation 1, Hollow Back Press for example.. I can already do 5x5r on parallel bar dips, which is the starting point (step 1 of 9) for that progression.. However, I can't do "all" of the rep ranges for some of the earlier progressions (the higher ones with more reps). So on one hand I can see that I might need to do some more foundational work in order to keep up with the rep progressions (step 1 to 9) for parallel bar dips.. yet on the other hand, starting with 3x3r on incline pushups (the first step of the first progression) seems like I will probably lose strength as its a lot less than I have already been doing when I signed up here.. 

3. Should I do multiple progressions at once from whatever step (rep range) I am comfortable with now?

- i.e. Start with both push-ups AND parallel bar dips (for example) in the same workouts... and focus on the higher rep ranges for pushups (i.e. step 8 and 9) and start with the lower rep ranges (which are around my current abilities) for parallel bar dips (step 1).

4. If I want to increase/decrease the length and/or volume within my workouts, or add more movements/skills (such as handstands and rings to complete simultaneously with my foundations work), am I able to do this within guided workouts or do I need to create my own from scratch? If I have to create my own from scratch using the library of movements or the "build your own" function, how do I know which days to do what, which rep range to start with and whether or not I am doing enough to progress or at risk of overtraining?

5. How do I know when its time to progress from one "step" (within a progression) to the next, or one "progression" within a target movement?

 

Overall, I chose to join because I want to get some individualized programming so I can reach the target movements, develop my handstands and ring skills as efficiently as possible... as I have already been working on these things in a private gym but in a class based setting, and I wanted something more individualized. But so far the interface seems to be lacking in the ability to build customized plans that include foundations, handstands, rings and stretching where there is a clear progression for me (individually) to follow moving forward. 

 

It feels more like a library of content but the actual programming seems lacking, but I am hoping I'm just doing something wrong and that someone can help me out :)

 

Thanks a lot, I am really excited to begin this journey with GymFit and appreciate any suggestions! :)

Hi David, i'm gonna answer here to your questions:

1- if you choose "build your own workout" you can access the single day and then add from the "skill" square the handstand, if you want it on more days you can add it every day...

2- my suggestion is that having a wide base of higher reps is always better so simply add one slot of foundations to the weekly schedule. then save it. then now click on the foundation slot. you can see those strength elements are paired with their integrated mobility. in the right corner click on edit workout. in the new window, you can see the structure

A1 - incline pushup and closer to the right a "gear icon", click on it. then in the new menù if you click on the "step" submenù you can see all the steps. perfect. you can use the lat one to test yourself. if you can do the last steps with the integrated mobility in between the the sets you are welcome to test the following exercise. now my suggestion before testing and moving forward is better to have a form check in the private forum so that you can assess the quality.

3 - nope. one progression at a time once it is mastered. the previous progression can be done in the warmup or after the main exercises with higher reps for adding volume.

4- my suggestion is, to begin with, a simple template. 4 days a week, do all foundations major progression like the planche, front lever, side lever, rope climbing etc. doing one exercise of the progression twice a week is enough. you can also add a handstand 2-3 times a week. and also i suggest stretch series. at the moment if you cannot complete easily everything up to foundations 2 there is no necessity to add Rings. the most common mistake is to think that you need more more more more and more. my strongest athletes reach 25'' of rings planche with 7 sets IN A WEEK, and one arm pullup with 18 kg added with 7 sets a week. still, thinking that doing more is better? do less and do it better...this is the key.

5- one you reach the final step (see answer number 2) and you can do it with buffer. i mean that if the final step is 5x15 you can do 15,15,15,15,17.

I can say that i terms of programming for autonomous and semi-autonomous students, GB it the best thing you can find. I was in GB when there was no structured work like that all personalization. it does not want to be a substitution of a personal trainer or of a face-to-face tutelage, it can pretend to be the best for online training support. 

in the private forum, you can find a lot of posts about suggestions on programming, templates that are suited for beginners,s and so on also you can ask for suggestions always considering that we do not pretend to offer super personalized work.

Alastair Duffield

None of this means anything to me. I’m probably not in the same boat as this person. I bought the whole course (as it was back in 2014 or maybe earlier). I’m trying to get back to the content but can’t work out anything, I’ve been staring at the interface for a solid 30 minutes and can’t work out anything. Please send help.

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Alastair Duffield said:

None of this means anything to me. I’m probably not in the same boat as this person. I bought the whole course (as it was back in 2014 or maybe earlier). I’m trying to get back to the content but can’t work out anything, I’ve been staring at the interface for a solid 30 minutes and can’t work out anything. Please send help.

HI Alastair what type of options from the left menù did you choose? guided plan of building your own workout?

Joseph Cuadrado

I joined a week ago and have similar feedback.  The guided plan is nice to follow but I am lost on programming.  

Where is information on recommended programming outside of the forum?  How do you expect someone new to the platform to build their own workout or use the white board? 

Any references would be appreciated!

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Joseph Cuadrado said:

I joined a week ago and have similar feedback.  The guided plan is nice to follow but I am lost on programming.  

Where is information on recommended programming outside of the forum?  How do you expect someone new to the platform to build their own workout or use the white board? 

Any references would be appreciated!

HI Joseph my personal suggestion is using simple logic: if you have never done bodyweight training you should go for the beginner template in the "guided plans",

if you have some experience i suggest building your own workout adding the basic template of 3 mobility elements (stretch series) + foundations + handstand.

once added to your week my following suggestion is:

1-to perform the first exercise of the handstand and foundations and have a form check;

2-then if the form check is ok you can consider:

2.1- doing all the steps one after the other week over week (you can find them following the second point on my first answer here)

2.2- or test yourself on the last step and then if you show mastery on the private forum section.

if the test is ok and also the mobility is ok you can repeat the process 1 and 2 until you reach an exercise challenging for you.

 

UNfortunately, there is no automatic process that with one step gives to you the perfect adapted template. it should be found little by little using the coach's suggestion.

But i guarantee that there is nothing so customizable online like GB portal. nothing.

Soren Lavrsen

So once again for Mr. stupid here :). Can I jump back and forth between the guided plan and build-your-own? So following the progression of the guided plan on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday - and then "jump" to the skill work (handstand) in the build your own on Wednesday and Saturday?

Hope my question makes sense 

Jeffrey Bittner

@Soren Lavrsen Absolutely! 

Steve Thompson

New to gb - middle aged, out of shape, and zero experience with any of the movements. Is there a “how to”  for incrementally doing the warm up movements?

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Steve Thompson said:

New to gb - middle aged, out of shape, and zero experience with any of the movements. Is there a “how to”  for incrementally doing the warm up movements?

Hi Steve, my suggestion before trying to move on with difficulty is to check for the amplitude of the movement, symmetrical movement, no compensations, and so on. I mean that if you execution matches the follow-along demonstration is fine..if not do not worry to much about progression for now.