This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Breathing Techniques and How Hard

Started by Mitchell Rabushka, December 18, 2021 · 5 Replies · 81 Views

Mitchell Rabushka

I recently stumbled across some exercise breathing techniques taught by the Postural Restoration Institute.  I'll generalize here based on what I've seen so far, but there might be some exceptions along with some subtle points I'm missing as their stuff is relatively new to me.

When trying to reset the hips to their proper orientation and reduce rib flare using  "their" exercises, they typically recommend exhaling all your air out through your mouth to the extent that you can't even hum or make any sound with your breath and hold that position for 4 to 5 seconds, then breath in through your nose, but not too fast, so you can't hear the air coming in.  In an effort to keep it simple I won't get into where the air should be going on the inhale and things like that when performing their exercises.

In my experience that kind of exhale really helps to tighten the abdominals substantially and get the ribs out the way.

1. So when performing Coach Sommers' Foundation exercises how strong is our exhale supposed to be, do we ever want to hold the exhale position and how fast should the inhale be?

2. Do we start the exhale at the beginning of a concentric movement and the inhale at the beginning of an eccentric movement?

3. How should we regulate our breathing during static holds?

I'm not sure if doing what comes naturally will be optimal for everyone; hence the reason I feel the need for clarification on the subject.

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Mitchell Rabushka said:

I recently stumbled across some exercise breathing techniques taught by the Postural Restoration Institute.  I'll generalize here based on what I've seen so far, but there might be some exceptions along with some subtle points I'm missing as their stuff is relatively new to me.

When trying to reset the hips to their proper orientation and reduce rib flare using  "their" exercises, they typically recommend exhaling all your air out through your mouth to the extent that you can't even hum or make any sound with your breath and hold that position for 4 to 5 seconds, then breath in through your nose, but not too fast, so you can't hear the air coming in.  In an effort to keep it simple I won't get into where the air should be going on the inhale and things like that when performing their exercises.

In my experience that kind of exhale really helps to tighten the abdominals substantially and get the ribs out the way.

1. So when performing Coach Sommers' Foundation exercises how strong is our exhale supposed to be, do we ever want to hold the exhale position and how fast should the inhale be?

2. Do we start the exhale at the beginning of a concentric movement and the inhale at the beginning of an eccentric movement?

3. How should we regulate our breathing during static holds?

I'm not sure if doing what comes naturally will be optimal for everyone; hence the reason I feel the need for clarification on the subject.

Hi MItchell, in the strength training world the exhaust is managed to depend in the intensity of the exercises, the more you are confident the less you need to squeeze the muscles the less you need to breathe and hold your breath. probably the mos unconformable situation fort breathing is handstand pushup, this movement told me how to breathe:

- when you are in the position of doing concentric perform a short ihanle (i would say 30/100);

- then perform the reps in apnea with a very fast exhale at the end that leads you to have a 10/100 air reserve;

-then breathe out the rest in the negative. begin from point 1.

Mitchell Rabushka
1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi MItchell, in the strength training world the exhaust is managed to depend in the intensity of the exercises, the more you are confident the less you need to squeeze the muscles the less you need to breathe and hold your breath. probably the mos unconformable situation fort breathing is handstand pushup, this movement told me how to breathe:

- when you are in the position of doing concentric perform a short ihanle (i would say 30/100);

- then perform the reps in apnea with a very fast exhale at the end that leads you to have a 10/100 air reserve;

-then breathe out the rest in the negative. begin from point 1.

Hi Alessandro,

Thank you for the information!

1. So it sounds like you never take in more than 30% of your breath while performing handstand pushups.  Is that correct?

2.  When you "breathe out the rest in the negative" does that mean you squeeze out all the remaining air in your lungs as you lower yourself down?

Alessandro Mainente
14 hours ago, Mitchell Rabushka said:

Hi Alessandro,

Thank you for the information!

1. So it sounds like you never take in more than 30% of your breath while performing handstand pushups.  Is that correct?

2.  When you "breathe out the rest in the negative" does that mean you squeeze out all the remaining air in your lungs as you lower yourself down?

hey Mitchell,

1- yes..big breath changes the upper thoracic muscles tension and as a consequence column extension-flexion ratio.

2. well right before the negative....i would say that the purely negative and concentric are done in apnea.

Mitchell Rabushka
7 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

hey Mitchell,

1- yes..big breath changes the upper thoracic muscles tension and as a consequence column extension-flexion ratio.

2. well right before the negative....i would say that the purely negative and concentric are done in apnea.

Thank you Alessandro!

Just to clarify...

1. Inhale to approximately 30% air capacity at the start of the concentric / push up.

2. Apnea during the concentric movement.

3. Exhale quickly at the top of the concentric so you are left with approximately 10% air.

4. Lower yourself down w/ apnea.

5. Exhale at the bottom of the eccentric with enough force / abdominal contraction to get all the air out.

6. Repeat

Please let me know if I understand correctly.  I appreciate your help because I never had this knowledge before.

Alessandro Mainente
Mitchell Rabushka said:
17 hours ago, Mitchell Rabushka said:

Thank you Alessandro!

Just to clarify...

1. Inhale to approximately 30% air capacity at the start of the concentric / push up.

2. Apnea during the concentric movement.

3. Exhale quickly at the top of the concentric so you are left with approximately 10% air.

4. Lower yourself down w/ apnea.

5. Exhale at the bottom of the eccentric with enough force / abdominal contraction to get all the air out.

6. Repeat

Please let me know if I understand correctly.  I appreciate your help because I never had this knowledge before.

Thank you Alessandro!

Just to clarify...

1. Inhale to approximately 30% air capacity at the start of the concentric / push-up.

2. Apnea during the concentric movement.

3. Exhale quickly at the top of the concentric so you are left with approximately 10% air, inhale again 20% so that you begin again with 30% air capacity..

4. Lower yourself down w/ apnea.

5. Exhale at the bottom of the eccentric with enough force / abdominal contraction to get all the air out.

6. Repeat

Please let me know if I understand correctly.  I appreciate your help because I never had this knowledge before.