This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strength training 1 time a week, is it ok?

Started by Fabio Genesoni, November 25, 2021 · 10 Replies · 221 Views

Fabio Genesoni

Hi coaches,

I just started to train level 1 program after a year or so spent at level 0.

I followed the schedule suggested by default, which includes strength training 2 times x week, for 30 days.

In particular, the schedule looked like this:

 

Monday : Upper body

Tuesday : Core, lower

Thursday: Upper body (half the volume)

Wednesday: Core, lower (half the volume)

I decided to cut in half the volume, on Thu and Wed, because I didn't recover enough from Mon/Tue workouts.

 

After 30 days of this routine, I tested my strength with 1 set of max reps, but I didn't make progress. I have the same reps of the previous month.

 

What could I have done wrong?

 

Is it possible to try for the next cycle to strength train only 1 time a week? Or is it better to maintain 2 times x week and cut the intensity/volume of workouts?

 

When I was in level 0, 1 time a week seemed to work fine for me.

 

Thank you

 

Fabio

PS: I don't know if it is relevant but I add some information about me, I'm 45 yo, I'm 195 cm tall, and my weight is 92 Kg.

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Fabio Genesoni said:

Hi coaches,

I just started to train level 1 program after a year or so spent at level 0.

I followed the schedule suggested by default, which includes strength training 2 times x week, for 30 days.

In particular, the schedule looked like this:

 

Monday : Upper body

Tuesday : Core, lower

Thursday: Upper body (half the volume)

Wednesday: Core, lower (half the volume)

I decided to cut in half the volume, on Thu and Wed, because I didn't recover enough from Mon/Tue workouts.

 

After 30 days of this routine, I tested my strength with 1 set of max reps, but I didn't make progress. I have the same reps of the previous month.

 

What could I have done wrong?

 

Is it possible to try for the next cycle to strength train only 1 time a week? Or is it better to maintain 2 times x week and cut the intensity/volume of workouts?

 

When I was in level 0, 1 time a week seemed to work fine for me.

 

Thank you

 

Fabio

PS: I don't know if it is relevant but I add some information about me, I'm 45 yo, I'm 195 cm tall, and my weight is 92 Kg.

Hi Fabio, considering your age probably trying once a week is the first thing i would do.

Fabio Genesoni
12 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Fabio, considering your age probably trying once a week is the first thing i would do.

Hi Alessandro, thank you for your suggestion!

Based on your advice, I was thinking of this weekly schedule:
 

Monday: Mobility work using restore series and/or weighted mobility and other courses.

Tuesday: Foundation upper body + restore series

Wednesday: Stretch series front split

Thursday: Foundation core and lower body + restore series

Friday: Stretch series middle split

Saturday: rest

Sunday: rest

Is this a good solution?

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Fabio Genesoni said:

Hi Alessandro, thank you for your suggestion!

Based on your advice, I was thinking of this weekly schedule:
 

Monday: Mobility work using restore series and/or weighted mobility and other courses.

Tuesday: Foundation upper body + restore series

Wednesday: Stretch series front split

Thursday: Foundation core and lower body + restore series

Friday: Stretch series middle split

Saturday: rest

Sunday: rest

Is this a good solution?

Yes, try with this one. Can you also say something more about the rep numbers where you didn't improve?

Fabio Genesoni

 

12 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Yes, try with this one. Can you also say something more about the rep numbers where you didn't improve?

Yes, as a test I tried 1 set of max reps of upper body, core and lower body exercises.

I improved in core and lower body, but I didn't improve in upper body exercises.

 

These are the reps numbers and the dates of the tests.

Incline push up:

28/09/2021  21 reps 

26/10/2021  30 reps

22/11/2021  30 reps

 

Incline rows

28/09/2021    21 reps

26/10/2021   30 reps

22/11/2021   30 reps 

 

Scapular shrugs

28/09/2021   12 reps

26/10/202     15 reps

22/11/2021   15 reps

 

I should also mention that in the last test I struggled to reach the same number of reps, probably my form broke on the last 2/3 reps of the set. This is another reason that made me think I didn't improve.

Alessandro Mainente
On 11/26/2021 at 10:25 PM, Fabio Genesoni said:

 

Yes, as a test I tried 1 set of max reps of upper body, core and lower body exercises.

I improved in core and lower body, but I didn't improve in upper body exercises.

 

These are the reps numbers and the dates of the tests.

Incline push up:

28/09/2021  21 reps 

26/10/2021  30 reps

22/11/2021  30 reps

 

Incline rows

28/09/2021    21 reps

26/10/2021   30 reps

22/11/2021   30 reps 

 

Scapular shrugs

28/09/2021   12 reps

26/10/202     15 reps

22/11/2021   15 reps

 

I should also mention that in the last test I struggled to reach the same number of reps, probably my form broke on the last 2/3 reps of the set. This is another reason that made me think I didn't improve.

Hey Fabio, what about other parameters? have you felt the same level of effort? is the weight the same as the previous months?

Fabio Genesoni
19 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Fabio, what about other parameters? have you felt the same level of effort? is the weight the same as the previous months?

Hi Alessandro, I felt more effort performing the exercises, compared to the previous month.

The previous month  I did 3 sets of 9 reps for 3 weeks, and on the fourth week I tested.

This month, I did 4 sets of 9 reps for three weeks, and also tested on the fourth week.

I started to eat more calories, and my weight went from 90.1 Kg on 27 October to 92.3 Kg on 27 November. I gained approximately 2 Kg in the last month. 

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Fabio Genesoni said:

Hi Alessandro, I felt more effort performing the exercises, compared to the previous month.

The previous month  I did 3 sets of 9 reps for 3 weeks, and on the fourth week I tested.

This month, I did 4 sets of 9 reps for three weeks, and also tested on the fourth week.

I started to eat more calories, and my weight went from 90.1 Kg on 27 October to 92.3 Kg on 27 November. I gained approximately 2 Kg in the last month. 

So basically you have done the same results but with 2 kg's more. Ideally, you are stronger than before.

Fabio Genesoni
4 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

So basically you have done the same results but with 2 kg's more. Ideally, you are stronger than before.

True, it make sense, I hadn't thought about it. :)

Do you think I should stick with the program as suggested in level 1 schedule (strength train 2x week), or is it ok if I try 1 time x week and see what happen?

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Fabio Genesoni said:

True, it make sense, I hadn't thought about it. :)

Do you think I should stick with the program as suggested in level 1 schedule (strength train 2x week), or is it ok if I try 1 time x week and see what happen?

usually i say "the team that wins should no be changed", until you are making progress with once a week it's fine,,,

Fabio Genesoni
22 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

usually i say "the team that wins should no be changed", until you are making progress with once a week it's fine,,,

Ok, I'll stick to once a week until it works. Really appreciated, thank you Alessandro.