This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100618

Started by Coach Sommer, June 18, 2010 · 12 Replies · 1,885 Views

Coach Sommer

vTIfss5oF8w

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

15’ Cirque

10 FL Pulls

5 Pullovers

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Runs to the Cirque.

4) Move immediately from the Cirque to the FL Pulls.

5) Move immediately from the FL Pulls to the Pullovers.

6) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

Alvaro

Today I was fried by the end of the first cirque so... it went like this:

- I injured my left knee last day with the SLS (I´m not doing legs in some weeks :( ). No shuttle runs, some rope skipping trying to emulate it (not 170 bpm )

-rope climb with out legs half the length and then with legs, no exactly cirques but slow controlled negative climb with each arm

-I tried tuck front level pulls .. impossible. Also half front level pulls (tuck of course) impossible, so I tried chin ups NOT A SINGLE ONE . I was useless, I continued to 5 half jumping chinups and then..

-I don´tt have a bar for pullovers so I did TOP pulls, more or less falling in stile.

I throw some Hll to compensate for the core not worked on the Fl pulls and pullover.

Hard hard work out, my PR of rope climb was 3 so new PR ! in 4 rope climbs! :D

Coach Sommer

I appreciate your enthusiasm, however this GB WOD as RX'd was simply too demanding for you. In the future, my recommendation is to scale down the workout substantially. One possible format to consider might be:

5 Towel Pullups

3 FL Pulls

1 Pullover

Also with an injured knee, the shuttle runs should not have been attempted.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

When you are fresh, can you do FL pulls? If so, how many?

If you're being fried by the rope climbs, do an easier variation. You won't be doing yourself any favors if you can't complete each round to some degree!

A good place to start is leg or foot pressure on the rope to reduce the eccentric load and lower yourself somewhat faster. Still controlled, but enough to where you can complete at least a few FL pulls. As time passes you can slow down some of the eccentrics and still pull off the same or more FL pulls. Try to remember that it takes a long time to be able to do the WODs exactly as prescribed and longer still to go beyond them. Each day is one step towards that goal. You can't see where you are going because you haven't been there before, so if you try to run you WILL stumble and fall. Be cautious and take steps forward slowly and methodically.

By taking a while, I mean this: If you think you'll be doing this WOD exactly as prescribed in 6 months, you are probably kidding yourself. Don't set a time goal for achieving the WOD. Simply work on each piece of each WOD and try to intelligently and slowly increase your efforts each time. You WILL get there, but none of us can guess at when.

Alvaro

I didn't perform the shuttle runs only some light rope skiping the first set :) so no problem there. I scaled down the work out initially but not enough! I can perform 5 tuck fl pulls when fresh but once you climb a rope they are a nono for me ( today I just Realized). I do the negative part of the rope braking with my feet as you said slizzard. Next time I will do it as prescribed by the coach but maybe climbing the rope helped with legs( I think I can do that as I did it today). Thank you coach and slizzard! Im really enjoying the wods really challenging ( even fully scaled down) and really feel Im working better , in a more productive way. :D

Alvaro

Now I could read better your post Slizzard, you are so right, is a slow slow work but results come for sure!. When I began with Gymnastic Bodies 20 months ago I could not perform a single push up!!! not a chin up!!.... Potato couch is the best description of my former me. Slowly but firmly I am here right now. I even can climb rope without feet when I´m fresh, I know is far from strong but is like 300% better than it used to be!. I have been training with my own template till two month ago when I changed to Killroy´s one, which is 100 times better than mine, but WOD is at a completely different level, it has a structure you can´t find in a normal work out. That is why I´m following it, but only with one week on duty I have to learn to scale it down properly (which is more than I thought in each and every work out!).

With normal gym workouts I got bored quite easily and demoralized in a year or two, now I realize it was due to lack of proper knowledge(not only mine but of lots of gym trainers with only BB standard periodizing for everyone). Now is quite different, I am sure this is a long and rewarding journey with lots of things to learn and improve over a long time, and ITS GREAT! :D

David Picó García

Welcome to the WOD!!! They are much, much harder than it seems when you read them on the forum. Just the fact of increasing the heart rate before starting, it triplicate the effort you have to do to complete a giant set.

And yes, after the rope any pulling exercise without resting its another story :twisted: . You have to try it to feel the intensity of the wod. If done properly it can be quite challenging.

Hope i see you soon at the gym, some personal circustances are negleting my training and cant go very often to the gym.

Alvaro

Your cross is waiting for you!!! :twisted:

Joshua Naterman

No worries omegant! Like you said, it takes a few times through each workout for you to properly learn how to scale it. One thing you can try to do with the rope climbs is to simply not climb as far! You can also simply stand on the ground, lower yourself down with a straight body, and climb back up. Always try to think of some kind of way to make the exercise productive for you without losing the point of the exercise! You're off to a great start.

Alvaro

LOL leaning my self back is what I used to do when I couldn't perform a single pull up and it works really well. What I am doing now is climb the rope with no legs and once I'm tired I continue with legs, coming down braking with my feet. What I find more dificult to scale down is Multiplane push and pull, but for its own nature maybe is not posible and I should stick to simpler push and pull movements or some negatives. Should I ad some core to a WOD when multiplane is impossible? As multiplane has core involved maybe I am missing an important part of the daily workout!

Coach Sommer
omegant said:
What I find more dificult to scale down is Multiplane push and pull

Excellent point.

Yes, proficiency at MPPr/MPPu & CPP elements will require that substantial strength first be built in the other FBE areas. On GB WODs when even the easiest MPPr/MPPu elements are too difficult as RX'd; substitute regular push/pull movements.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman
omegant said:
LOL leaning my self back is what I used to do when I couldn't perform a single pull up and it works really well. What I am doing now is climb the rope with no legs and once I'm tired I continue with legs, coming down braking with my feet. What I find more dificult to scale down is Multiplane push and pull, but for its own nature maybe is not posible and I should stick to simpler push and pull movements or some negatives. Should I ad some core to a WOD when multiplane is impossible? As multiplane has core involved maybe I am missing an important part of the daily workout!

I think your best bet is to start from inverted hang and lower down through the front lever to dead hang or the top of the pull up. Repeat that for reps. It's the negative portion of the FL pulls. Even if you do it tucked it'll be progress! Try that next time.

Alvaro

Yes I think I´ll do that as negatives are the only portion of multi plane pressing or pulling I can perform in the middle of a WOD.