This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

C5: Prone Half Straddle Planche Hold

Started by Robert Moore, October 28, 2021 · 8 Replies · 64 Views

Robert Moore

Hi forum, first post but been reading up loads of comments with interest.

when doing this iM I find the outside of my hips (is this piriformis) is so tight especially with the feet up and aligned. Does this improve with the exercises in middle split?  I think I should be wider in this position…. But I am nowhere near my Middle Split width.

thanks for any input.

Alessandro Mainente
On 10/28/2021 at 3:48 PM, Robert Moore said:

Hi forum, first post but been reading up loads of comments with interest.

when doing this iM I find the outside of my hips (is this piriformis) is so tight especially with the feet up and aligned. Does this improve with the exercises in middle split?  I think I should be wider in this position…. But I am nowhere near my Middle Split width.

thanks for any input.

hy Robert, well there could be confusion between tight and active. in this position, the outside part of the glutes works in order to hold the shinbones parallel one to the other. in order to check possible tight muscles, you should perform a length test.

Robert Moore

Hey Alessandro, that’s really interesting and thanks for reply. I had not considered active muscles and did not know that they kept shinbone parallel. How would I perform a length test? 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Robert Moore said:

Hey Alessandro, that’s really interesting and thanks for reply. I had not considered active muscles and did not know that they kept shinbone parallel. How would I perform a length test? 

There are many of them, pike is a possible one, another one is the taylor pose (if you write the name on google images you should find it).

Robert Moore

Ok checked out the Taylor Pose as you suggested. All clear for me now. Given I am doing some restore hamstring on top of stretch series… pike is not so good, butterfly not so (Taylor pose - would be a long way off that) ….. improving in these will push out that “Active” point and improve my IM….thanks Alessandro 

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Robert Moore said:

Ok checked out the Taylor Pose as you suggested. All clear for me now. Given I am doing some restore hamstring on top of stretch series… pike is not so good, butterfly not so (Taylor pose - would be a long way off that) ….. improving in these will push out that “Active” point and improve my IM….thanks Alessandro 

The butterfly is different, gives information about the abduction in the internal rotation hip position. while Taylor poses the opposite. abduction on external rotation. both of them of course with flexed hips.

Robert Moore

So you mean when you press knees against hands and ppt with back against wall…? Ultimately I need to activate and lengthen to improve my half straddle hold. Think i will submit a form check in a few weeks after I try and see if I can improve it.

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Robert Moore said:

So you mean when you press knees against hands and ppt with back against wall…? Ultimately I need to activate and lengthen to improve my half straddle hold. Think i will submit a form check in a few weeks after I try and see if I can improve it.

IN the taylor pose you can check if glutes and hips capsule is tight. they are not related to planche IM development...

we have started talking about tightness and possible tests....nothing more...

Robert Moore

Thanks Alessandro, i tested on the Pike yesterday during the front split series. Kept it strict and honest…. Tightness for sure…. Appreciate you comments and help… I have some work to do in this area.