This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

C1 Scapular Shrugs

Started by Shane Lonergan, October 20, 2021 · 3 Replies · 35 Views

Shane Lonergan

Form check:

I am struggling to make progress with this exercise - I become very weak and form fails when required to do higher reps.

A few questions on form: 

1) Is internal rotation ' breaking the bar essential' throughout this exercise?

 

2) I am especially weak on one side and find the 'breaking the bar' difficult to hold throughout. My shoulder sets slightly higher on this side because of an overactive trap! Could a mobility issue be restricting my form? 

 

3) Could you suggest ways of making progress? 

 

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Shane Lonergan said:

Form check:

I am struggling to make progress with this exercise - I become very weak and form fails when required to do higher reps.

A few questions on form: 

1) Is internal rotation ' breaking the bar essential' throughout this exercise?

 

2) I am especially weak on one side and find the 'breaking the bar' difficult to hold throughout. My shoulder sets slightly higher on this side because of an overactive trap! Could a mobility issue be restricting my form? 

 

3) Could you suggest ways of making progress? 

 

Hey Shane, i try to answer you below:

- it can happen if  you have a tight internal rotator specifically the chest that is stretched when the scapulae are adducted;

- the only suggestion is to focus on "what do I feel when I control the depression on the elevated side?" and try to feel this sensation when you work through the range of motion. having consciousness about correction is necessary to improve technique;

- progress can be made without training to failure and the progression is locked by the weak arm, no matter if the strongest is easier. one strategy, if you get stuck, is to try to add one set more for a couple of weeks without changing the reps. then take one set and see if you can hit a better result in terms of the number of reps.

Shane Lonergan

Thanks Alessandro! I will try the extra set! 

How is the form in the above video? 

Alessandro Mainente
On 10/21/2021 at 9:15 PM, Shane Lonergan said:

Thanks Alessandro! I will try the extra set! 

How is the form in the above video? 

It is seems a good starting point...next time film a front view....