This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE12 - Feels impossible

Started by Awais Muzaffar, October 16, 2021 · 8 Replies · 150 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hi coaches, 

I forgot before ring dips, there is the l-sit version of the russian dip. Anyway I have gone back to this now.

Unfortunately this feels impossible. I cannot keep the torso upright and do a controlled negative. I can easily do a controlled negative on a single bar (false grip), or rings (false grip) - I don't understand why I can't control it here - for sure it is a tricep strength issue.

- When I try to keep torso upright and  legs parallel,  - I fall back fast with no control and also lose the depression.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-36LtkU6Y
- When I ignore legs parallel, but it is not counted as mastery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUdLunx4S7Y

I don't know what to do!

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi coaches, 

I forgot before ring dips, there is the l-sit version of the russian dip. Anyway I have gone back to this now.

Unfortunately this feels impossible. I cannot keep the torso upright and do a controlled negative. I can easily do a controlled negative on a single bar (false grip), or rings (false grip) - I don't understand why I can't control it here - for sure it is a tricep strength issue.

- When I try to keep torso upright and  legs parallel,  - I fall back fast with no control and also lose the depression.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-36LtkU6Y
- When I ignore legs parallel, but it is not counted as mastery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUdLunx4S7Y

I don't know what to do!

Thanks!

Hi Awais, i think that the L- Russian dip is a sort of milestone. it requires superior compression and general pushing and some pulling strength., everything but not impossible. one of my strongest students can do 15 reps of it. You can perform an intermediate step that is a half lever L-sit. Technique can involve 2 variations:

1- leaning backward without the necessity of stronger compression;

2- no lean backward but stronger compression of the lower body on the upper body.

Awais Muzaffar

Right so with bend at knees I got 4 sets of 4 reps, and 3 reps on the 5th set (can't believe I just missed a full 5x5!)

1st set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhPjpruVClI

For me I think 5th rep had the most upright torso (on the push up portion)

I'm feeling more effecient in this BUT it still feels like there is downward lean in most of the reps, so I don't think I'm at mastery quality. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Right so with bend at knees I got 4 sets of 4 reps, and 3 reps on the 5th set (can't believe I just missed a full 5x5!)

1st set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhPjpruVClI

For me I think 5th rep had the most upright torso (on the push up portion)

I'm feeling more effecient in this BUT it still feels like there is downward lean in most of the reps, so I don't think I'm at mastery quality. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I think you should increase the speed of the negative. if not the total time under tension moves the exercise under hypertrophic effect...and you need more time to recover in between sets and in-between session.

Awais Muzaffar

Yeah! You're right, that explains the fatigue I was feeling after each set.

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

I'm pushing more more vertical with my triceps now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdkuOKlS38

Thanks!

IT is a combination of pushing vertically and beginning to push vertically earlier...if you begin too late (lie in your case) you have low chances of holding the body vertically.

Awais Muzaffar

ok I get it!

Awais Muzaffar

Okay so I am pushing up earlier and better able to hold my thighs horizontal on the ascent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-bi0_90MOo

I think it's looking better than before now!