After another week where the forearm inflammation returned even at low volume, I decided to stop all upper body work last week. Will likely wait til July to start.
Oddly enough, I found this online and thought, "Man...this is counter to everything Coach Sommer et al have recommended." But then it turns out this guy was Men's Gymnastic Head Coach at the University of Oklahoma and 1996 Assistant Olympic Coach for US Men''s Team, 1999.
Here's the thread (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Gymnastics-2 ... tics-1.htm). What do you think?
----------------
Chris,
This sounds to me like forearm splints. It is like shin splints but in the arms below the elbow.
What is happening is your muscles are not used to the strain that you have been putting on
them. They are contracting much more than they have in the past. This evenually causes the
muscle to slightly pull away from the bone and developing inflammations in the forearm. This is
actually a very common occurance in gymnasts doing pommel horse and other things that strain
the wrist.
Things that you can do include using a heat pack on the arms before practice to increase
circulation to the area. Ice cup massage after practice in the area. Sometimes using a support
wrap starting at the wrist and working upward helps. Also doing massage in the area to work out
the tightness will be helpful.
You will experience this for quite a while. In time, your body will get stronger and adopt to the
strains that you are putting on that part of your body. So rest helps but most of the time the pain
will come back as soon as you begin working out again. A gradual program to doing as much as
you can tolerate is best. The good news is that you are usually not causing any permanent
damage to your arm.
It is also wise to take an anti-inflamatory drug. Ibuprofen two or three times a day will help.
Good luck getting over the symptoms.
--------------
Hi Mark,
I wonder if you an help. I am having some problems with a
couple of techniques that are causing me the same painful
problem.
I am starting to develop muscular pain in both my lower arms.
The muscle that hurts is on the back on my forearm, beneath my
elbow on the thumb side of the arm. The pain stretches from
just beneath the elbow toward the hand in a straignt line for
about 3 -4 inches. The pain usually starts when I perform the
technique and sticks around for a couple of days, most noticably
when i grip tightly.....I hope this is specific enough.
It first started to hurt a during training a couple of weeks ago
and recurrs whenever I perform the techniques. The techniques
that cause it to hurt are:
1. Back Flick. This one hurts in my left arm and is probably
related to doing the flick incorrectly. I should point out that i
have only been doing flicks for about 6 weeks now. The
problem is my left hand turns inwards by 90 degrees (So it
points to my right hand), when i am in the handstand position of
the file, causing me to colapse.
2. Pommel trainer. Again a recently started technique. So far I
can complete one 360 degree rotation. And even that little
causes both my forearms to strain and hurt.
I took the problem to my coach who suggested that it was tennis
elbow. Further research leads me to believe it's golfers
elbow.....tennis elbow is on the other side of the arm, but in the
same place. My coach couldn't suggest any treatment other
than rest or not doing the technique.
Personally i'd rather not give up on a technique, instead I'd like
to find a way of overcomming the problem and finding a way of
preventing it from returning.
Do you have any thoughts,
All the best
Chris