This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Anybody else find earlier progressions harder than later ones?

Started by Mark Williams 401159, September 20, 2021 · 5 Replies · 164 Views

Mark Williams 401159

Firstly - zero intention of skipping anything!  
 

I’m being pretty strict on myself for not moving forward if the reps on a particular session weren’t good enough quality or were right at the edge of what I could do - and have found that within a session or so, I surge past a previous sticking point relatively easily…

but when I do have a peek forward to see what’s coming over the next several weeks I do sometimes think that the movement I’m on currently is way harder than what next!

for instance - pseudo planche press-ups on foundation upper are a decent effort for me currently on 5x6r but if I look ahead 3 progressions, it finishes on 5x5 dips which I could currently do loaded with 30kg or so.

 

again, not looking to skip anything, just wondered if others found the same?

 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Mark Williams 401159 said:

Firstly - zero intention of skipping anything!  
 

I’m being pretty strict on myself for not moving forward if the reps on a particular session weren’t good enough quality or were right at the edge of what I could do - and have found that within a session or so, I surge past a previous sticking point relatively easily…

but when I do have a peek forward to see what’s coming over the next several weeks I do sometimes think that the movement I’m on currently is way harder than what next!

for instance - pseudo planche press-ups on foundation upper are a decent effort for me currently on 5x6r but if I look ahead 3 progressions, it finishes on 5x5 dips which I could currently do loaded with 30kg or so.

 

again, not looking to skip anything, just wondered if others found the same?

 

Yes it can happen like for example doing dip compared to pseudo planche pushup BUT they are different planes with different range of motion and different stress. rarely i compare movements basing only on performance on them, I'm used consider stress as an additional factor.  usually har exercises mean only and only "new motor pattern that should be solved"...nothing more...

Mark Williams 401159

Thanks for the reply Allesandro!

one more question if I may - would you the suggest if I go to a movement that is particularly easy (like the dips) that I go to perhaps nearer the end of that movements rep range, or start on 1/9 irrespective?

 

thank you again

Mark 

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Mark Williams 401159 said:

Thanks for the reply Allesandro!

one more question if I may - would you the suggest if I go to a movement that is particularly easy (like the dips) that I go to perhaps nearer the end of that movements rep range, or start on 1/9 irrespective?

 

thank you again

Mark 

Hey Mark, a good idea is making a test, you can try to do 5x5 with 1' rest. if you can complete it probably the exercises is not easy. if you cannot complete it you can calculate an average from all the sets and begin from the step closest to the average.

Mark Williams 401159
15 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Mark, a good idea is making a test, you can try to do 5x5 with 1' rest. if you can complete it probably the exercises is not easy. if you cannot complete it you can calculate an average from all the sets and begin from the step closest to the average.

Brilliant, thank you very much Alessandro

Alessandro Mainente
Alessandro Mainente said:
On 9/22/2021 at 9:03 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Mark, a good idea is making a test, you can try to do 5x5 with 1' rest. if you can complete it probably the exercises is easy. if you cannot complete it you can calculate an average from all the sets and begin from the step closest to the average.