This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Another Routine question about Routine

Started by Trevor Catterall, September 3, 2021 · 2 Replies · 114 Views

Trevor Catterall

Hello GymFit Team

I started the Full Access Membership at the end of June and have been somewhat consistent and I'm making progress however my course structure is sometimes haphazard in part because I like to run and hours at work have been less orderly thanks in part to Covid prompting changes to my job role. If I'm wanting to train 3 days per week because I want to run on the three other days and have a rest day what's the best routine to go with? I'm talking Core/Upper/Lower Body and extras here and not so much mobility because I will complete Middle Split and Front Split after running and can add Thoracic Bridge later.

So far I've been following Coach's Routine Upper twice a week and Core/Lower twice per week but switching out one of the Knee Series for the Elbow Sequence. I'd also like to bring in HandStand if it'll help with gains longer term. I wanted to do a Mo, We, Fr routine following the Integrated Training Template from Building the Gymnastic Body where Static Strength is paired with Basic Strength because I like the variation and it works "whole body' but trying to incorporate the different holds and exercises using the current Online GymBod system is cumbersome. I was also attracted to this format because Coach states "most athletes should consider working in sets of either 3x3 or 3x5" and "When building basic strength, it is best to build a low repetition, low volume scheme for any given exercise." Indeed at various points throughout the book this structure is promoted as a great way to build endurance rather than building endurance to build strength through higher reps. I should add though that Coach also states a common mistake with Gym Programming is the failure to allow the body time to consolidate gains before jumping into the next more challenging movement. 

I should add that I'm pretty much a novice having lost any gains I made following the book a few years back.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

 

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Trevor Catterall said:

Hello GymFit Team

I started the Full Access Membership at the end of June and have been somewhat consistent and I'm making progress however my course structure is sometimes haphazard in part because I like to run and hours at work have been less orderly thanks in part to Covid prompting changes to my job role. If I'm wanting to train 3 days per week because I want to run on the three other days and have a rest day what's the best routine to go with? I'm talking Core/Upper/Lower Body and extras here and not so much mobility because I will complete Middle Split and Front Split after running and can add Thoracic Bridge later.

So far I've been following Coach's Routine Upper twice a week and Core/Lower twice per week but switching out one of the Knee Series for the Elbow Sequence. I'd also like to bring in HandStand if it'll help with gains longer term. I wanted to do a Mo, We, Fr routine following the Integrated Training Template from Building the Gymnastic Body where Static Strength is paired with Basic Strength because I like the variation and it works "whole body' but trying to incorporate the different holds and exercises using the current Online GymBod system is cumbersome. I was also attracted to this format because Coach states "most athletes should consider working in sets of either 3x3 or 3x5" and "When building basic strength, it is best to build a low repetition, low volume scheme for any given exercise." Indeed at various points throughout the book this structure is promoted as a great way to build endurance rather than building endurance to build strength through higher reps. I should add though that Coach also states a common mistake with Gym Programming is the failure to allow the body time to consolidate gains before jumping into the next more challenging movement. 

I should add that I'm pretty much a novice having lost any gains I made following the book a few years back.

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers

 

Hey Trevor, for the moment i suggest you to put on one side BtGB structure workout because is more advised for intermediate athletes.

With3 days is suggest having:

- legs work that is especially good for running;

- core work;

- upper body work.

A good schedule can be a rotational schedule like as follow:

workout 1- upperbody + hs + thoracic bridge

workout 2 - core + legs+ front split

workout 3 - upperbody + hs middle split.

 

On the next week you are going to do:

wk 2 

wk 1

wk 2

on the 3rd week, you move back to the first week.

For now, focus on essential, so general conditioning and mobility work.

 

Trevor Catterall

Thank You Alessandro for your suggestions. I will use your template but perhaps add some core work in place of the middle split which I will continue to do after one of the runs and see how my body responds.