This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weighted Mobility/Substitute CrossFit

Started by Jessica Simonton, August 11, 2021 · 2 Replies · 80 Views

Jessica Simonton

Hi! I just started foundations 1 yesterday. I had no problems doing the foundations upper body work out or warm up, but had trouble with the weighted mobility piece. I struggled with the wrist push ups (couldn’t do them at all. I have decent wrist mobility but not much strength for the push up part), had to use a pvc pipe instead of barbell for the standing shoulder extension pulls (felt like a strength issue), and then couldn’t find a soft surface for the wall neck extensions so today my C7 is really inflamed.

Any feedback on this?

Part 2. I skipped my CrossFit workout to do this because I don’t have time to do both. I see the value of doing GB. I jumped into CrossFit way too aggressively as a newbie at 32 and now at 34 I’m paying for it. I did things like kipping pull ups without proper strength and so on. My goal is fixing mobility issues and having more core (and overall strength) before attempting some of the CrossFit style workouts that I’m used to, but does that mean most people lose a little fitness for now (my heart rate wasn’t increased much at all yesterday) and build that back up later?

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Jessica Simonton said:

Hi! I just started foundations 1 yesterday. I had no problems doing the foundations upper body work out or warm up, but had trouble with the weighted mobility piece. I struggled with the wrist push ups (couldn’t do them at all. I have decent wrist mobility but not much strength for the push up part), had to use a pvc pipe instead of barbell for the standing shoulder extension pulls (felt like a strength issue), and then couldn’t find a soft surface for the wall neck extensions so today my C7 is really inflamed.

Any feedback on this?

Part 2. I skipped my CrossFit workout to do this because I don’t have time to do both. I see the value of doing GB. I jumped into CrossFit way too aggressively as a newbie at 32 and now at 34 I’m paying for it. I did things like kipping pull ups without proper strength and so on. My goal is fixing mobility issues and having more core (and overall strength) before attempting some of the CrossFit style workouts that I’m used to, but does that mean most people lose a little fitness for now (my heart rate wasn’t increased much at all yesterday) and build that back up later?

HI Jessica, if you have all the access to GB you can find a good progression of wrists pushup in the handstand one section. For the shoulder extension is totally fine to use a lighter weight.

For the second part: in order to attempt HIIT workout you need to be much stronger compared to the movement you are used to. For example, when i was doing handstand pushups in my circuit training i was able to insert them because i can do one full ROM handstand pushup with 25 kg added so my bodyweight is approximately 68% of my maximal strength. in this case, you can use the basic movement as a component of a workout. if you can squat 100 kg you can use 40 kg squat in the circuit, if you can so 12-15 strict pullups you can use a number of 3 or 4. this makes sense always if the weight used in the workout is less compared to your maximal strength or amrap. that's the rule. i do not mention that technique should be perfect...no matter the amrap or the maximal strength.

if you build proper technique and basic strength you will be able to move back to some workouts, choosing them diligently.

Leon Clough

Hi Jessica,

I don’t usually respond to many of these anymore because they’re a little bit out of my ballpark: I am only five years into gymnastic bodies and gymnastic strength work (I consider myself a huge beginner) and I am 50 years old, but I do have an 11-year history with CrossFit.

So you can understand hoe I weigh in on this, I started CrossFit in 2006, before it was a big thing. I’ve seen the progression of CrossFit, watched it morph into a few things over the yearsX watched it “jump the shark”, and I opened up a (still functioning) CrossFit gym and I coached. I have a masters in sport science and I did the best I could to apply sensible training methodology to CrossFit.
 

One of the biggest issues in the beginning of CrossFit was the lack of understanding and the high level of over training done by weekend warriors who had no concept of how to train athletes, especially those starting in their 30s. 

Currently, there are Coaching levels in CF, in my opinion rather late in the game.

I stopped doing CrossFit about five years ago when I started doing gymnastic bodies. Cold turkey. That was a mistake. I should have done what you’re attempting to do and proceed in a hybrid fashion.

The problem with that is that there is still a tendency to over-train in one area or the other, and probably trying to maintain a steady goal of improved CrossFit performance while doing something like gymnastic bodies becomes conflicting.

There is only so much work your body can actually achieve in a given week based on age, recovery level, energy level, general athletic ability, etc.

You mentioned some specific physical problems you were having, and those types of things will happen in any physical traiking. You assess it, determine the source and fix future actions. I’ve done that a ton.

I think you should approach your training as a larger concept of how you’re going to divide your training. You may want to dedicate some time to getting your body right regarding mobility and range of motion and extremely small weighted movements to help access some of this. Stripping everything back down to the beginning and then adding in a plan that covers about 90 days and then reassess wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I also think it’s important to understand just because something is written on paper or on a calendar doesn’t mean your body is going to be able to do it that day. Being flexible on a weekly basis or even a daily basis is helpful in recovery, so if you just aren’t feeling it, don’t push through pain and stuff like that just to accomplish some reps. Adjust your work out do what you can and shift things around so that you are still able to work but you don’t risk injury due to chronic issues.

You’re at the perfect point to start blending your work from CF and GB. I would prioritize fundamentals throughout the week of gymnastic bodies and try to limit crossFit workouts to two a week in the beginning, and moderate your intensity (not just effort but weight, reps, duration, etc.). 
 

You’re going to have to adjust on the fly, listen to your body, and not overwork or push through with a “mentality“ that seems to be pervasive in CrossFit circles, that pain equals progress. It’s just not true.

I don’t know if any of this was helpful, or if it just came out as a big ramble, but I wish that I had done what you’re trying to do and then I was in the position you’re in now. The road back to regaining strength that I lost is tough, but the reward of dedicating specifically to gymnastic strength has been rewarding in its own right. Good luck! I hope to know how you work through all this so repost if you can in the future.

Leon

P.S. One of the best things I did was to find a gymnastic strength coach with whom I work remotely. I wouldn’t have made any of the progress that I’ve made if I had not. Just a thought.