This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curl Progression (Sets & Reps)

Started by Brandon Smith 289586, June 9, 2021 · 3 Replies · 119 Views

Brandon Smith 289586

Hello,

I enjoy Jefferson curls and have a couple of questions regarding programming and progression. I am currently working through foundation 1 and doing the stretch series weekly.

 

1.) Is it okay to do Jefferson Curls every day, or will this impede progress on foundation 1? For reference, I am 29 and feel I recover well. I  often like doing these in the evening as a way to relax. If not, what is recommended?

2.) What is the recommended sets and reps recommended for Jefferson Curls? Ex. 3 sets of 10? How many sets and reps should be done at mastery before progressing to add weight? 

 

Appreciate your help! 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Brandon Smith 289586 said:

Hello,

I enjoy Jefferson curls and have a couple of questions regarding programming and progression. I am currently working through foundation 1 and doing the stretch series weekly.

 

1.) Is it okay to do Jefferson Curls every day, or will this impede progress on foundation 1? For reference, I am 29 and feel I recover well. I  often like doing these in the evening as a way to relax. If not, what is recommended?

2.) What is the recommended sets and reps recommended for Jefferson Curls? Ex. 3 sets of 10? How many sets and reps should be done at mastery before progressing to add weight? 

 

Appreciate your help! 

HI Brandon, if you have not already reached the 50% of the body weight you do not need to do it every day. On the opposite stick it when you have to do it. If you have a core session with tuck up or straddle up it can be incorporated here. ot can be done often once mastered at least at 50% of your body weight.

The number of reps should be now limited to 5 with a weight where you can have 2-3 reps in reserve.

My suggestion is, to begin with, 10% of your body weight and adding no more than 2-3 kg in a month. since i do not know too much about your spine i must be conservative.

Further suggestions and modifications can be adapted in the function of your body response. if you feel too sore in-between sessions...add one day of rest more.

Brandon Smith 289586
7 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI Brandon, if you have not already reached the 50% of the body weight you do not need to do it every day. On the opposite stick it when you have to do it. If you have a core session with tuck up or straddle up it can be incorporated here. ot can be done often once mastered at least at 50% of your body weight.

The number of reps should be now limited to 5 with a weight where you can have 2-3 reps in reserve.

My suggestion is, to begin with, 10% of your body weight and adding no more than 2-3 kg in a month. since i do not know too much about your spine i must be conservative.

Further suggestions and modifications can be adapted in the function of your body response. if you feel too sore in-between sessions...add one day of rest more.

Hi Alessandro,

I really appreciate the response! I've been doing 3 sets of 10 at about 20% body weight previously, Very slow deliberate reps focusing on form. I am happy to have the correction here. 

Just to clarify, should I only do 1 set of 5 reps or multiple sets of 5's? Thank you.

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Brandon Smith 289586 said:

Hi Alessandro,

I really appreciate the response! I've been doing 3 sets of 10 at about 20% body weight previously, Very slow deliberate reps focusing on form. I am happy to have the correction here. 

Just to clarify, should I only do 1 set of 5 reps or multiple sets of 5's? Thank you.

Ideally, with the foundation's protocol you do one set of 5 for every set of V-up variation........so pretty simple doing the count.