This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE11

Started by Awais Muzaffar, May 22, 2021 · 21 Replies · 248 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hi coaches, this was not a good attempt:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtyfM_ILS-U

My biggest problem I see (0:05-0:07) I tend to lean too much forward and down; Rather than less lean and more upright (which I know is a requirement for the l-sit variation). I don't know if this a technical issue or a strength issue. Perhaps, I need to do a "chicken wing"? https://youtu.be/22pBwGD3Vmc?t=6

Also it looks like my feet were all over the place; not clean at all :(

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

I don't know, I just tend to sink so much in the transition phase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNmGES-IfIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdIXJQlGIWI (failed attempt)

Thanks!


 

Hi Awais, russian dips is a composed movement: adduction and vertical pushing...you should think about doing them in the same moment rather than in separate them.

Also, the bottom position plays a big role as follows:

- what gives the possibility to make transitions? having a vertical space..enough to "fall from upper arm support to hands support

- what can i do to have more vertical space? having higher upper arm support. this means that i i look you from the from i have to clearly see that the shoulder are higher than the hands on the bar;

- in order to do that you should reach the bottom part already activated.

Awais Muzaffar

Okay, thanks for the detailed answer.

Now I have to think how to do this; My mind/body isn't used to the adduction and vertical pushing at the same time. Perhaps with bands to reduce the strength element, and focus more on the movement.

My question... when you are on upper arm support and assuming your shoulders are higher than hands;

- Do you pull forward or lean forward? As you can see I've been pulling aggressivly.

- Are you pressing down with your hands and trying to push up at the same time? The only way I can push up early is to also extend my wrists early.

Thanks!

Awais Muzaffar

I think I get the movement. 

In this short clip I am trying to adduct and lift elbows near same time: https://imgur.com/gallery/1qmEQbq

Key points:
- My shoulders are not inline with elbows - so I am aware I need to fix this.

Questions:
- I need to sink low and then do adduction - I find the reflex helps me explode up and get elbows up early. Is this acceptable in learning phase?
- Movements that require strong elbow compression like this and muscle up cause me some pain and fatigue in that area. Should I do something like high reps while supported, for conditioning?

Many thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

I think I get the movement. 

In this short clip I am trying to adduct and lift elbows near same time: https://imgur.com/gallery/1qmEQbq

Key points:
- My shoulders are not inline with elbows - so I am aware I need to fix this.

Questions:
- I need to sink low and then do adduction - I find the reflex helps me explode up and get elbows up early. Is this acceptable in learning phase?
- Movements that require strong elbow compression like this and muscle up cause me some pain and fatigue in that area. Should I do something like high reps while supported, for conditioning?

Many thanks!

Well..the reflex no. because absorbing the weight of the body as this stage of strength development can be potentially worse. So stretch reflex should be avoied.

Elbow compression you mean compression of the forearms on the upper arm?

Awais Muzaffar

Yeah that’s exactly what I mean, upper arm and forearms. Too much workout of compression of it makes it feel slightly Inflamed.

Couple of years ago I learned to muscle up with kip, that triggered the pain. Bad idea!

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Yeah that’s exactly what I mean, upper arm and forearms. Too much workout of compression of it makes it feel slightly Inflamed.

Couple of years ago I learned to muscle up with kip, that triggered the pain. Bad idea!

Are you doing the one arm false grip hold since you have started ribgs series?

Awais Muzaffar

Hey! I wasn't aware of a one arm false grip hold... is this something I missed?

I did do the bent arm hold and straight arm hold and moved from them quickly. Now that you remind me, the bent arm false grip hold looks like a good conditioning element for long-term.

Thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey! I wasn't aware of a one arm false grip hold... is this something I missed?

I did do the bent arm hold and straight arm hold and moved from them quickly. Now that you remind me, the bent arm false grip hold looks like a good conditioning element for long-term.

Thanks!

 

Maybe it is planned for more advanced work. it was in my notes of gb seminar.

well, probably you have a tight elbow joint capsule and it can lead to pain on compression. you can try to do this exercise where the center of the wrist should reach just below the center of the anterior deltoid. please keep it reserved for this GB forum.

i remember that when i was training free inverted cross and weighted cross my elbows start to become tight due to the resting position on the extended joint...it can also cause problems during pullup at the forearm and it can also have the same symptoms of epitrocleitis...but it is a different problem. something that does not heal with rest.

capsule.jpg

Awais Muzaffar

Ah I see! 

Many thanks for your help on this matter; I will keep this reservered for GB forum.

So I had suspected epitrocleitis, but I wasn't convinced it was exactly that.  And I had experienced this on the pullup at the forearm as well mildly, especially on a thicker bar where i need to grip more hard. 

It could be tightness in the elbows; I am going to have to spend some time using this exercise. Appreciate your help!

Awais Muzaffar

Okay coaches I need some advice on a cue here:

In order to get familiar with the adduction and push up at the same time, I had to rely on stretch reflexes to lower the strength element. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM5GSwUOXQ8

I now want to keep the shoulders higher than hands (to avoid reflex) but this reduces the range of motion in the adduction movement. Should I be squeezing my lats hard to come back up? Is there any other cue or body part I should be engaging?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay coaches I need some advice on a cue here:

In order to get familiar with the adduction and push up at the same time, I had to rely on stretch reflexes to lower the strength element. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM5GSwUOXQ8

I now want to keep the shoulders higher than hands (to avoid reflex) but this reduces the range of motion in the adduction movement. Should I be squeezing my lats hard to come back up? Is there any other cue or body part I should be engaging?

Thanks!

IN the bottom position you should be with shoulders higher than hands!!!!

Awais Muzaffar

Correct - But when I try to make it higher than hands, I find it harder to adduct. So I wanted to understand about what muscles I should be engaging.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Correct - But when I try to make it higher than hands, I find it harder to adduct. So I wanted to understand about what muscles I should be engaging.

Thanks!

Well there are the adductors, the main problem is reaching the bottom position without already engaging muscles...you should push down isometrically with pecs, lats, teres major etc....is not really a problem of what muscles engaging but how we do engage them...

Awais Muzaffar

Hey!

I'm not too happy with control and smoothness - but here goes:

Key points:

Am I lowering too fast and too relaxed?

I don't have the strength to push up early and more vertical, how can I improve this?

I am aware I need to tidy up symmetry on front view.
 

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey!

I'm not too happy with control and smoothness - but here goes:

Key points:

Am I lowering too fast and too relaxed?

I don't have the strength to push up early and more vertical, how can I improve this?

I am aware I need to tidy up symmetry on front view.
 

Thank you!

that's a russian dip.

Awais Muzaffar

You mean I got it? :)

Alessandro Mainente
8 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

You mean I got it? :)

Yes....

Awais Muzaffar

Okay good to know... then my job now is to stay on this and make it smoother :)

Alessandro Mainente
On 7/7/2021 at 12:02 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey! so progress is happening, but I feel like I am far away from mastery quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rFff41urI

What do you think?

PS: I forgot record front-view but I was observing symmetry infront of mirror.

Thank you as always!

Very nice....i would stay on singles or doubles until the technique is without shaking.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks, and good idea.