This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straight Arm Bicept Pain

Started by Eddie Ball, April 12, 2021 · 8 Replies · 82 Views

Eddie Ball

Hello GBF!!

I'm having a lot of pain in my Bicept when doing straight arm work (e.x. FL/SE5), especially when unloading the muscle quickly. It feels sore throughout the entire muscle (almost like someone just punched me in the Bicept). I've rested it about 3 weeks and it's better but thought it would be gone by now. Any ideas what the cause/fix is?

Thanks!

Eddie

Mats Trane

How is your shoulder extension?

Working on my shoulder extension helped a lot of my tight bicept and shoulder problems.

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Eddie Ball said:

Hello GBF!!

I'm having a lot of pain in my Bicept when doing straight arm work (e.x. FL/SE5), especially when unloading the muscle. It feels sore throughout the entire muscle (almost like someone just punched me in the Bicept). I've rested it about 3 weeks and it's better but thought it would be gone by now. Any ideas what the cause/fix is?

Thanks!

Eddie

Hey Eddie, can you post a video from a back view? i mean that i want to the head shoulders and arms.

Eddie Ball
14 hours ago, Mats Trane said:

How is your shoulder extension?

Working on my shoulder extension helped a lot of my tight bicept and shoulder problems.

@Mats Trane, now that you mention it, I don't really have any overhead pressing (shoulder extension?) in my workout program!! :o

Right now just FL/SE5, SPL/SE4, Bench Press, and Pull ups (last two replaced HBP/PE9 and RC/PE18 resp for reasons haha)

What would you recommend adding? Wall handstand shrugs for pre-hab'ish work? Thanks!!

Eddie Ball
13 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Eddie, can you post a video from a back view? i mean that i want to the head shoulders and arms.

Hey @Alessandro Mainente, thanks for taking a look! Is this what you were asking for?

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Eddie Ball said:

Hey @Alessandro Mainente, thanks for taking a look! Is this what you were asking for?

Hey Eddie. my impression is that you are bending at the elbows...try to extend actively the triceps.

Eddie Ball
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Eddie. my impression is that you are bending at the elbows...try to extend actively the triceps.

@Alessandro Mainente, does this mean I should not be activating my biceps during the exercise? And focus on relaxing my biceps while activating the triceps to straighten my arms?

 

Do you think this could be a cause for my bicep problem? As you can see in the video, I'm slow to come out of the hold bc of the pain my right bicep. The pain seems less severe when I relax my biceps out of the hold slowly (even though it sounds like they should not be activated during the hold at all).

 

Thanks!!!

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Eddie Ball said:

@Alessandro Mainente, does this mean I should not be activating my biceps during the exercise? And focus on relaxing my biceps while activating the triceps to straighten my arms?

 

Do you think this could be a cause for my bicep problem? As you can see in the video, I'm slow to come out of the hold bc of the pain my right bicep. The pain seems less severe when I relax my biceps out of the hold slowly (even though it sounds like they should not be activated during the hold at all).

 

Thanks!!!

This can be absolutely the cause of the problem. biceps is used because by flexing the elbows you increase the number of muscles assisting the leverage but biceps are shoulders flexor and elbow flexor, they have nothing to do with arm adduction that is made by lats, pec etc. the main problem is that the first degree of elbow flexion is the one which provided the most stressful leverage of bicep and bicep cannot take the effort of the lats. period. I do not know if you have ridden on the web that biceps should be active BUT if yes, tell the people who say this wrong thing to study more and suggest less.

Eddie Ball
11 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

This can be absolutely the cause of the problem. biceps is used because by flexing the elbows you increase the number of muscles assisting the leverage but biceps are shoulders flexor and elbow flexor, they have nothing to do with arm adduction that is made by lats, pec etc. the main problem is that the first degree of elbow flexion is the one which provided the most stressful leverage of bicep and bicep cannot take the effort of the lats. period. I do not know if you have ridden on the web that biceps should be active BUT if yes, tell the people who say this wrong thing to study more and suggest less.

@Alessandro Mainente, thanks for the pointer! I'll probably regress to an earlier progression (Like FL/SE3) to practice better form and make sure I can do the exercise with the correct form.

 

Thanks again!