This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Inside Knee Pain with Middle Split work

Started by Julio Vaca, March 17, 2021 · 2 Replies · 98 Views

Julio Vaca

I've been doing the middle split series on and off for a few months now, probably around 15 total sessions in the last 6 months.

Since day one, I get sharp pain in the inside part of my knees (left side for right knee, right side for left knee), whenever I do an exercise where I have to split my legs, such as side to side squats. 

I have no previous injuries of any sort in my knees. However, I do have knee valgus and flat feet, which I've been working on as well.

I feel like this is hindering my progress, because I cant really split to where I feel a strong stretch in my hips. My knees will hurt too much way before I can reach my hip range.

I take it easy and keep the pain moderate when doing the series, hoping it will eventually get better. I haven't measured my progress in any way, but I don't feel like I'm going anywhere.

Anyone else in the same boat? What do you think I should do?

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Julio Vaca said:

I've been doing the middle split series on and off for a few months now, probably around 15 total sessions in the last 6 months.

Since day one, I get sharp pain in the inside part of my knees (left side for right knee, right side for left knee), whenever I do an exercise where I have to split my legs, such as side to side squats. 

I have no previous injuries of any sort in my knees. However, I do have knee valgus and flat feet, which I've been working on as well.

I feel like this is hindering my progress, because I cant really split to where I feel a strong stretch in my hips. My knees will hurt too much way before I can reach my hip range.

I take it easy and keep the pain moderate when doing the series, hoping it will eventually get better. I haven't measured my progress in any way, but I don't feel like I'm going anywhere.

Anyone else in the same boat? What do you think I should do?

Hi Julio, what is interesting to know for you is that 2 months is the time the body tries to adapts and still resists to danger stimuli. Probably now it is at the point where it can no longer compensate for the flat feet and knee valgus. In the case of the middle split that is incorporated into your workout, the main problem is the antagonist muscles which are weak. My suggestion is to avoid what is causing pain and check for a PT who can give you better adjustment about what muscles should be training for reducing the problem.

Coleman Williams

I'm going to hijack this thread because my issue is related and on the same topic although less severe.

 

I've done 44 sessions of middle split follow along (about 11 months worth). I have this mild soreness on my right leg on the left side of the knee (right MCL area I think you would call it). This took me a while to notice because it was so mild it was easy to overlook and by the time I started any training it felt normal. I can sense this mild pain by doing hip circles and I would get it at the front of the hip circle. Looking back this was present for a good bit of time but like I said easy to overlook and I'm still learning to pay attention to my body.

 

I believe this was caused by going too low on the middle split isometric holds. At least to me that seems like a good guess. I've never had any pain doing the middle split follow along. This isn't much of an issue now it seems (because the pain is mild soreness only) but I can see it turning into one if I don't lay off whatever is aggravating it and give it time to heal which I understand can take months.

 

Any advice on middle split or other mobility type things I should cut out until I'm pain free? I would like to continue with things like the frog position stuff because those stretches are lovely and I think they probably hit the hip area more than the knee. 

 

On a side note, I bought this cool plastic pouch I can fill with hot water I can use for the area in hopes of increasing diffusion of blood to the connective tissue. I'm excited about that.