Planche Transition

Started by Graham Smith, June 8, 2010 · 5 Replies · 3,043 Views

Graham Smith

Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, I have looked but to no avail.

I am having a great deal of difficulty transitioning from frog / advanced frog to tuck planche either on p-bars or floor. I am sure that it is a strength limitation, but I am unable to proceed. I can comfortably hold an advanced frog stand for a full minute or longer, yet as soon as I try to do a tuck planche, my body sinks to the point where my arms are sub-parallel to my sides (like a regular support hold). I know that I lack the shoulder strength to do HeSPU's, and I am currently training sets of 3 x 5 HSPU negatives to develop this strength. Is there a more remedial transition position that would help me get the tuck planche? would planche leans assist in this regard? Would any conventional weight lifting be of benefit?

kind thanks,

Primate.

Blairbob

Planche leans and pseudo planche pushups.

How is your L-sit strength?

Graham Smith

Thanks Blairbob,

I will incorporate planche leans and pseudo-planche pushups into my routine.

I am currently holding 3 x 20 second l-sits on p-bars, although my legs do begin to drop below horizontal in the third set. I assume L-sit strength carries over to how tightly I can hold the tuck position? or does it assist in another way?

Thanks,

Primate.

Seiji

I don't know if I've always been doing tuck planches wrong, but I thought there was almost no lean in them? Like a bench press where you have your knees at your chest. Just curious.

Gavin Strelitz

When I first started with tuck planche I couldn't get it off the floor until I developed some lean.

Blairbob

You have to lean in a tuck planche, even a straight arm frog stand to some extent to counterbalance your hips. If your forearms were vertical, you would have too much weight behind you, even if you had hips the size of Nastia Liukin.

I assume L-sit strength carries over to how tightly I can hold the tuck position?
Bingo. I've seen some of my boys be able to hold the tuck planche for a short amount of time but coupled with short L-sit times their legs just give out versus their shoulders failing.

Tonight I worked 3x20s L-sits on PB and they were quite challenging but that may be due to last night's L work that crushed me.

I can do 5 HeSPU probably, maybe a few more. Hard to say. I don't know how you're built ( I'm 5'+ 170ish [yes, I need to lose some but I have WL hips and mass]).

Last time I tried tuck planche, I had a helluva time. Keep this in mind.