Planche Training

Started by jamesters, June 7, 2010 · 5 Replies · 1,932 Views

jamesters

I noticed I have a tendency to pike a little, you'll see that in my first go. In my second go, I try very hard to not pike, but then it seems my back arches a little. Which is better? Then I also show single leg out, which I never see people do but I think it could be a potentially good training method. Then I show legs together which I have some control over, but a long way until parallel.

Ld9HESmTpog

yuri marmerstein

I'm personally not a fan of training planches with handstand negatives. It is too hard to feel when you are horizontal and always end up sub par.

You are doing ok, but you don't really pass through the horizontal with control. Have you ever tried turning your fingers out sideways? I find it helps.

Also make sure you are actively pushing down with your shoulders.

Razz

Pressing from straddle-l helps stop the pike since you naturally curl in to the proper position. I had some problems with piking in straddle but it was just because I wasn't strong enough..besides that I don't like that handstand negatives aswell.

Blairbob

Quite often when people straddle in training, if they have a flexible straddle; they will arch in their lower back. It's very common. It will happen in lever training as well.

Seiji

Although I can do full straddle splits, I can't do the kind you need for straddle levers, planche, etc.

I pike in levers... does this apply to what you just said Blair? Arch = flexible, pike = inflexible? I already know I am anyways, just curious.

Blairbob

Straddle lever is more active hip flexibility and strength.

Not necessarily, Seiji. People pike because they aren't squeezing their butt and because it makes the lever shorter and easier.