This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck on B3: Elevated Row step 8/9

Started by Adam McCubbin, February 17, 2021 · 12 Replies · 176 Views

Adam McCubbin

Hi, 

I have been stuck on. step 8/9 of the B3: Elevated Row for months now. All my other exercises have been moving in the right direction. Just this one is stuck and unable to progress. I have been diligent and not missed any sessions on this either. 
 

Any tips or supplemental exercises that would help?  

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Adam McCubbin said:

Hi, 

I have been stuck on. step 8/9 of the B3: Elevated Row for months now. All my other exercises have been moving in the right direction. Just this one is stuck and unable to progress. I have been diligent and not missed any sessions on this either. 
 

Any tips or supplemental exercises that would help?  

Hey Adam, the only way I can have to help you is by looking at your form first.

Adam McCubbin

Thanks. Do you want to see all the sets or just the fatigued sets? 

Adam McCubbin
On 2/18/2021 at 1:09 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Adam, the only way I can have to help you is by looking at your form first.

Here is a video the entire elevated row sequence. Let me know your thoughts? 

 

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Adam McCubbin said:

Here is a video the entire elevated row sequence. Let me know your thoughts? 

 

Hi Adam, first we need to correct the form. The feet should be approximately at ring height. If not the difference from the previous element is too less. So my first consideration is that if this exercise is too close to the previous exercise then probably the previous PE was not mastered properly.

Adam McCubbin
19 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Adam, first we need to correct the form. The feet should be approximately at ring height. If not the difference from the previous element is too less. So my first consideration is that if this exercise is too close to the previous exercise then probably the previous PE was not mastered properly.

Hi Alessandro, that makes sense. I just watched the technique video and they explained it just like you mentioned with the feet inline with the rings. 

I'll have to regress the steps way back on this one or back to previous. I'm 193cm tall with 197cm arm reach, so I'll be in a steep incline making it much harder. 

I was watching the workout video and their feet are way lower to the rings. Not sure why they had different foot positions to technique video. That's why I initially had my feet in that position. See screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.21.50 pm.png

Alessandro Mainente
On 2/22/2021 at 9:30 AM, Adam McCubbin said:

Hi Alessandro, that makes sense. I just watched the technique video and they explained it just like you mentioned with the feet inline with the rings. 

I'll have to regress the steps way back on this one or back to previous. I'm 193cm tall with 197cm arm reach, so I'll be in a steep incline making it much harder. 

I was watching the workout video and their feet are way lower to the rings. Not sure why they had different foot positions to technique video. That's why I initially had my feet in that position. See screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.21.50 pm.png

IN this case, talking about elevated row...the video shows feet that are too low. You can still build up the elevated position gradually.

Adam McCubbin
On 3/12/2021 at 1:18 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

IN this case, talking about elevated row...the video shows feet that are too low. You can still build up the elevated position gradually.

Ok that makes sense, Alessandro. Thank you. 
I have regressed back to the previous step "ground rows" - completely flat. 
Still very slow with the progress. I'm sticking on step 5 (9 reps x 4sets). Any accessory exercises recommended? 

Alessandro Mainente

The most beneficial things you can do NEVER WORKING TO FAILURE especially if you get a plateau. Try the basis tragedy is doing you normal set and rep like for example 4x7, in the first session of the week and week over week (for not more than 3 weeks in a row) increase one set. usually in the 4th week you can try a test of max rep.

Adam McCubbin
On 3/12/2021 at 1:18 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

IN this case, talking about elevated row...the video shows feet that are too low. You can still build up the elevated position gradually.

 

1 hour ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

The most beneficial things you can do NEVER WORKING TO FAILURE especially if you get a plateau. Try the basis tragedy is doing you normal set and rep like for example 4x7, in the first session of the week and week over week (for not more than 3 weeks in a row) increase one set. usually in the 4th week you can try a test of max rep.

Ok I'll try this then.
Also on the foundation lower body day the complete coaching videos are not there. They videos just display one rep with no coaching or different videos aligned with the reps. 

Are there videos for these? 

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Adam McCubbin said:

 

Ok I'll try this then.
Also on the foundation lower body day the complete coaching videos are not there. They videos just display one rep with no coaching or different videos aligned with the reps. 

Are there videos for these? 

At a certain point of foundations, videos are only demonstrative.

David Pardy 340028

Hey Adam, there's a great article on tempo here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/3-2-1-slow-down-tempo-to-speed-up-gains/

I've been using the 3-2-1 tempo with HBP PE2 (regressed myself to PE1 to work on it) and also doing 1-2-3 with RC PE2, where I also took myself back to PE1 to really grind it in.  I'm definitely finding forearm strength is the limiting factor for me, but I've found that after spending so much time on the slow tempo I can definitely bang out more 'normal' reps.  I'm working 4x9 on incline rows and 4x12 on incline pushups at these tempos right now.  Maybe worth a shot?

Adam McCubbin
51 minutes ago, David Pardy 340028 said:

Hey Adam, there's a great article on tempo here: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/3-2-1-slow-down-tempo-to-speed-up-gains/

I've been using the 3-2-1 tempo with HBP PE2 (regressed myself to PE1 to work on it) and also doing 1-2-3 with RC PE2, where I also took myself back to PE1 to really grind it in.  I'm definitely finding forearm strength is the limiting factor for me, but I've found that after spending so much time on the slow tempo I can definitely bang out more 'normal' reps.  I'm working 4x9 on incline rows and4x12 on incline pushups at these tempos right now.  Maybe worth a shot?

Hey David! much appreciated for your input. Great article and just what I needed. Feels like I have been on this step for a long time without much progress. I'll start to back off the reps and implement the tempo work. 

Interesting that the concentric phase of the lift is the 3 seconds. Coming from a powerlifting/strength training background I've often used slower tempos in eccentric phase only. I'll let you know how it goes! 

Thanks again