This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/SE2

Started by Awais Muzaffar, February 17, 2021 · 24 Replies · 215 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Holds from SE1 PE and IM were feeling good now.

I'll start off with the IM as I found that more challenging than the PE. Here is an attempt: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlyo79tJsuI

Key points:
- This was from an attempted 5th set, so there was fatigue at this point.
- I find it difficult to keep the quads up after bring the knee back to 90 degrees.
- Maybe I should focus on pointing toes?
- My mind and legs feel all over the place!

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Holds from SE1 PE and IM were feeling good now.

I'll start off with the IM as I found that more challenging than the PE. Here is an attempt: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlyo79tJsuI

Key points:
- This was from an attempted 5th set, so there was fatigue at this point.
- I find it difficult to keep the quads up after bring the knee back to 90 degrees.
- Maybe I should focus on pointing toes?
- My mind and legs feel all over the place!

Hey Awais...the main correction here is physiological...if something extends backward then something should lean forward..notice that as you extend the knees you do not lean..is a matter of strength + finding the balance.

Awais Muzaffar

That makes sense Alessandro. Comparing the video above, I lack the strength to hold a longer lean (maximum 5 seconds).

The more the lean, the more streneous this is becoming for me; So I am hitting a blocker.

I think I need to form some kind of strategy; I am thinking:

- PPPU with more leans OR try PPPU plus (HBP/PE20)
- Go back to SE1 IM and hold with more lean

Finally in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDmDowvcUrs  I am trying more lean, is that what I should now be aiming for now.

When you guys lean so much are you consiouscly engaging shoulders and upper chest? At the moment I am consiouscly engaging lats, triceps, forearms.

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

That makes sense Alessandro. Comparing the video above, I lack the strength to hold a longer lean (maximum 5 seconds).

The more the lean, the more streneous this is becoming for me; So I am hitting a blocker.

I think I need to form some kind of strategy; I am thinking:

- PPPU with more leans OR try PPPU plus (HBP/PE20)
- Go back to SE1 IM and hold with more lean

Finally in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDmDowvcUrs  I am trying more lean, is that what I should now be aiming for now.

When you guys lean so much are you consiouscly engaging shoulders and upper chest? At the moment I am consiouscly engaging lats, triceps, forearms.

Well, the engaging chest can mean deactivating too much the scapulae and it is not good for planche movements family. From your video appears that the handles are too close...

Awais Muzaffar

Hey thanks for the feedback, so I've increased my straddle and it defenitly made it feel easier and more effecient to get into position. Perhaps your opinion will be I still need to lean more!

Monetheless, here is the current attempt with more straddle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7rCdZDE6M

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey thanks for the feedback, so I've increased my straddle and it defenitly made it feel easier and more effecient to get into position. Perhaps your opinion will be I still need to lean more!

Monetheless, here is the current attempt with more straddle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7rCdZDE6M

NIce starting point..feel free to work i between the pbars with an assistance band...so that you can build up some strength with the full movement...then take the band off.

Awais Muzaffar

Okay good to know I am in the right direction. Great idea with resistance bands. Thanks :)

Awais Muzaffar

Okay so I've been practicing this; Personally I feel stronger in the movement than before.

What I really wanted to ask was if you look at the video below, is it acceptable if my quads are not fully parallel with the floor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF9dZ6o85rE

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay so I've been practicing this; Personally I feel stronger in the movement than before.

What I really wanted to ask was if you look at the video below, is it acceptable if my quads are not fully parallel with the floor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF9dZ6o85rE

Thanks!

Well, you must overcome this way of think....

something is not ok because a bad coach is telling e that it is not ok?......maybe because almost parallel quads are almost parallel...

or is not ok because i'm learning an incomplete movement? how does an incomplete movement relate to straddle planche? well...in this case.....a straddle planche with piked hips...or whatever you want to call it...lowe legs...

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks - I see what you mean.

Awais Muzaffar

Okay, so...

Here is my best effort on the iM currently; You will see an initial pike in the hips, but it got better as I continued and I can do 10 reps. The video is from my fourth set:

iM video

And here is the PE:

PE video

Thank you!

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay, so...

Here is my best effort on the iM currently; You will see an initial pike in the hips, but it got better as I continued and I can do 10 reps. The video is from my fourth set:

iM video

And here is the PE:

PE video

Thank you!

Very nice starting point. from my perspective and because we need to look for future benefits i suggest reducing the reps and focus on full his extension.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks Alessandro!

I don’t understand why full hip extension is so difficult for me in this.

is it just me? Or is this a problem you often see in straddle planche position?

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks Alessandro!

I don’t understand why full hip extension is so difficult for me in this.

is it just me? Or is this a problem you often see in straddle planche position?

It can be a combination of both. I mean that if you straddle more than 90° i simply impossible to reach hips extension. If you need more strength and for now is not enough you need to counterbalance it by reducing the leverage and a good way to reduce the leverage is hips flexion.

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Ok! So after getting better at opening hips in SE1 iM finally, I have managed to make progress : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Z4y0Fg3G4

What do you think?

Thanks!

The amount of lean is ok....there is another detail that should be fixed. the knee extension can be coached in 2 ways:

- foot moves closer to the ceiling and the knee extends: wrong.

- foot move lower while the knee STAYS IN THE SAME PLACE: correct.

with your left leg, you tend to perform correctly in most of cases while with the right is the opposite. knee does not modify the distance from the floor. if it happens then the movement is also a dynamic hips extension but once the half straddle is reached there is no more space for hips work.

Awais Muzaffar

Oh yes - the issue is quite obvious on the right side.

Awais Muzaffar

Hey, is this better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIDXMbXUme4

Also, taking your advice from other posts, it may be best for me to stick to single reps (each leg) until I am shaking less and more stable.

Thanks,

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey, is this better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIDXMbXUme4

Also, taking your advice from other posts, it may be best for me to stick to single reps (each leg) until I am shaking less and more stable.

Thanks,

hEY Awas it is better....for sure you are spending lots of energy on reaching the position from where the knees extension begins.

Awais Muzaffar

Yes - that's right. 

These two things make me use a lot energy:

- Leaning foward
- Full hip extension

Any strategy to overcome these, or  is it a case of keep doing and I will get more stable?

Thanks,

Awais

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Yes - that's right. 

These two things make me use a lot energy:

- Leaning foward
- Full hip extension

Any strategy to overcome these, or  is it a case of keep doing and I will get more stable?

Thanks,

Awais

Well, you can modify how you access the position...rather than extending the hips you can begin with the knees on the floor with the hips already extended and then lean until knees leave the floor.

Awais Muzaffar

Okay I'll try your suggested method of entry! Thanks :)

Alessandro Mainente
On 7/16/2021 at 10:11 AM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay so I was more fresh and got 6 reps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMs0Cn3Eg90
 

Better...now stay on low reps and strive to reach a more horizontal position with the upper body.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks! Yes I also feel I need to be more horizontal.