SLS - Buliding enough strength to protect patellar tendon

Started by Gerald Mangona, June 6, 2010 · 7 Replies · 3,424 Views

Gerald Mangona

So weird thing...I can do an SLS. In fact, I can do 3 sets of 5. But the connective tissue under the knee cap couldn't handle the workload and start to show signs of overuse.

I've moved away from SLS for right now and am just focusing on building strength in the parts of the ROM where the tendons are most likely to get hit. Blairbob made a suggestion of holding at the bottom of the pistol and building up to 30 or 60 seconds before trying negative rep SLS's. I've made that my leg workout twice per week.

But then I noticed something...For kicks I tried to do a negative rep and I find that where the kneecap is getting the most stress is not at the bottom, rather, it's just after my hips fall below parallel to the patella. I tried to do a one-legged wall-sit right at that point, with my hips below the knee and making sure my knee stays behind my toes (this is tough, because my legs are long). I lasted 3 seconds. Barely. I tried to do a two-legged wall-sit right at that point and barely lasted 10 seconds.

Would that be a good thing to add to my weekly leg work? I could do wall-sit 5s x 10.

And more importantly, will that help strengthen my leg in order to prevent injury?

Thanks, JMan

Amebix138

It might be a form error rather then normal stress. A video would help.

Gerald Mangona
Amebix138 said:
It might be a form error rather then normal stress. A video would help.

I don't have a video camera...for the time being, can you answer this question: At the bottom of the pistol, if I have my weight evenly distributed across my foot, my knee is slightly in front of my toes because of how long my bones are. (Mostly for balance). I've always been taught to keep the knees from crossing the toes, though, to prevent injury.

So in order to keep that from happening, I almost have to lean back, putting weight on my heels...and really pushing back my glutes through the ROM. On the way down (during the eccentric phase), as soon as my hips dip below my knee...it's over. I no longer have any control over the rep. So that's why I'm thinking a wall-sit in that posture might help strenghten me through that part of the ROM. Cuz other than that part, I can do the SLS just fine.

Longshanks

I and many other tall people seem to have same problem of loosing balance at the bottom and falling back. Holding a small counterbalance out in front of you helps wityh the balance. I've also followed the same advice Blairbob gave you with good results. I had problems with patellar tendonosis. Did a couple of months of wall chairs, then a couple of months of holding the bottom of a pistol. I'm just starting to implement the slow negatives this month just down to 90degrees. Heating the joint with a hot water bottle every day will also speed up recovery enormously.

Blairbob
Blairbob made a suggestion of holding at the bottom of the pistol and building up to 30 or 60 seconds before trying negative rep SLS's. I've made that my leg workout twice per week.

I thought I commented on this thread but apparently I didn't.

In our WU, I had them work 60s of total volume at the bottom. After being able to do 30s straight through without any self assist, they could progress to doing regular SLS.

Even if they could not hold the bottom for 15-30s, I would still have them work the negative, mainly so they would have something to do instead of just sitting around. It sort of depended on when they finished their 60s of volume. Some boys could finish rather fast and then work their regular SLS instead.

Unfortunately, we haven't done this for awhile as we are trying some new WU and stretching based on what I got from the GB seminars. We are still in the stages of playing with it and getting it done in our alotted time besides dealing with the fact they are lazy some days (Mondays and Fridays, it seems).

I need to figure where to put this again, probably with our hip and knees and ankle mobility.

So much to do, so little time and efficiency.

braindx

Overuse under the knee is most likely going to be some form of patellofemoral syndrome.

This is not due to lack of strength in the patellar tendon, rather a lack of strength in the hamstrings or glutes, and poor maltracing of the patellofemoral complex.

read this and teh soft tissue work in parts 3&4 may help you:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/s ... functions/

Also, if your diet is garbage that can affect you as well.

Ido Portal

Dont forget the role of the Vastus Medialis Oblique head of the Quadriceps in PFS. It is the most frequent issue leading to pain in the knees. Hams and glutes play a more crucial role in acute injuries to the knees, usually.

Ido.

VeganMartin

Just a thought, have you tried sitting for periods in a squat position - just squatting fully down and resting your arms on your knees? That's the only way people sat before chairs were used. When I first started doing them, my knees, hips and lower back began to ache after a few seconds. I can sit comfortably like that now for 5 minutes. The muscles and ligaments must have adpated to the unusual position.

I do the SLS, both weighted and bodyweight. I need to put my arms out in front of me as I go down and bring them back in as I come up. When I'm in the full squat position without extra weight in my hands, my knee is beyond my toes. I think I sit a bit further back when I carry a weight in my hands and my knee is perhaps about level with the ends of my toes. I don't have long legs. Far from it.