This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/pe3 + im

Started by Vanessa Hunt, January 17, 2021 · 22 Replies · 170 Views

Vanessa Hunt

Hello coaches

Just starting this progression. Seeking feedback on form. Thanks.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Vanessa, do not retract.......i can thee you scapulae begins to wing.

Vanessa Hunt

Thanks Alessandro. Just clarifying which movement your referring to? 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Thanks Alessandro. Just clarifying which movement your referring to? 

On the IM...

Vanessa Hunt

Hello

Revisiting the IM for feedback. I think I understand this movement? Hoping I've got it - focusing on not retracting.

I've widened my grip with view to work towards getting hands closer as finding my left arm a bit restricted in this movement compared to right atm.

Thanks

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
18 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hello

Revisiting the IM for feedback. I think I understand this movement? Hoping I've got it - focusing on not retracting.

I've widened my grip with view to work towards getting hands closer as finding my left arm a bit restricted in this movement compared to right atm.

Thanks

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hey Vanessa, definitely better than before.

Vanessa Hunt

Hello

Feedback please on form. Thanks

 

 

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Great adjustment based on the corrections that Alex previously gave you! It looks like you might be ready to start bringing your hands closer together again, but before you do that, could you also post a video taken from the back?

Vanessa Hunt

Hello coaches I brought hands out to regress this movement and have slowly brought them close together over last few months. How am I looking for mastery with this one?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

You're super close. Work on bringing your hands about one hand-width closer together. 

Vanessa Hunt

Hi coaches 

I've brought the hands closer together. Is this enough?

 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi coaches 

I've brought the hands closer together. Is this enough?

 

hey Vanessa, youtube says that the international olympic committee blocked the video due to copyright.

Vanessa Hunt

Oops I had the Olympics on the tv in the background.  Here is another video for feedback - hoping for mastery.

 

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Oops I had the Olympics on the tv in the background.  Here is another video for feedback - hoping for mastery.

 

Hey Vanessa, if i take a closer look to the backward video and then looking to the side view appears that you tend to retract the shoulders blades before flexing the upper arm BUT the natural shoulder flexion involves protraction rather than retraction. In fact from the side view appears that your elbows are directed to the sides. in the opposite, they should be something in between the side and downward.

In the acute phase, this movement gives the sensation of having more shoulder flexion but in the long term, it not produces better shoulder mobility. io the worst cases of a shoulder injury.

Vanessa Hunt

Thanks Alessandro. Can you please show me in a video what I am doing wrong and what I need to do to rectify?  I understand what you are saying in terms of movement description, I've reviewed my videos with your comments in mind and I think I see what your saying but a visual would really help.

The absolute last thing I want from doing this program is a shoulder injury so I would really appreciate it since I've been doing the same movement for over 6 mths now with the last comment from Jeffery saying I'm nearly there just bring hands closer together?? It's confusing.....and frustrating going nowhere fast! 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Thanks Alessandro. Can you please show me in a video what I am doing wrong and what I need to do to rectify?  I understand what you are saying in terms of movement description, I've reviewed my videos with your comments in mind and I think I see what your saying but a visual would really help.

The absolute last thing I want from doing this program is a shoulder injury so I would really appreciate it since I've been doing the same movement for over 6 mths now with the last comment from Jeffery saying I'm nearly there just bring hands closer together?? It's confusing.....and frustrating going nowhere fast! 

 

 

 

HI Vanessa, the first video if your last post. 3'' mark you can clearly see that you retract the scapulae exactly as you lean forward with the upper body.

When there are technical gaps you tend to solve them until the exercise is felt easy, then if you increase the difficulty the gap comes out again and it should be fixed again. what is the difficulty parameter? hands that are moving closer one to the other.

probably with a wider hands stance, there is no retraction but moving the hands closer is the factor that promotes the compensation that is an internal rotation of the upper arm and scapular retraction. 

Another example is doing asymmetrical pullups. what is the factor promoting the asymmetrical movement? intensity, in another work bodyweight. so you can scale the weight with a band and then the problem is solved..then you take off some assistance from the band and the technical problem raises again. the technical problem is under continuous refinement.

this is why basically when someone comes to me with a band handstand or bad pull-up etc is worse than having never done anything because there are problems that are so radicated that it will take a lot of time, proportional to "how much i have never considered the problem?".

Your case is linked to technique and habit and it is pretty common.

Vanessa Hunt

Thanks Alessandro that makes so much sense. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

I will work with wider hand stance again with focus on protraction and post for review before bringing hands closer together.  I do see the retraction in the videos so understand what I need to do.

 

 

 

 

Vanessa Hunt

Hi coaches

In this session I really tried to ensure shoulders where protracted before leaning forward. Is this better? 

I'm aware I need to hold stick level.

 

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi coaches

In this session I really tried to ensure shoulders where protracted before leaning forward. Is this better? 

I'm aware I need to hold stick level.

 

 

 

 

 

Yes is better, a common point that you can observe on protracted scapulae is that the crease of the elbow is pointed to the ceiling because full protraction requires a bit of external rotation.

Vanessa Hunt

Hi coaches

How is this looking? Do you think it's enough for mastery?

(Video 2 is from a couple of weeks ago, couldn't delete from msg).

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Vanessa, from the back it appears ok...do you have a final side view?

Vanessa Hunt

Hello coaches

Final side view.

Thanks

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 9/16/2021 at 3:00 PM, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hello coaches

Final side view.

Thanks

 

 

 

I think that the leverage that you have used is by far harder than necessary...you're welcome to move on.